What do you - the fans - think our strongest team is?

loughboroughRAM

Carson

Keogh   Shackell   Buxton

Christie            Thorne                 Forsyth

Ince       Hughes      Johnson

Martin

I'm going for the classic 3-3-3-1

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, dantheram said:

Can we check if PC views this thread? Some very good setups in here he'd do well to look at rather than using the tombola method.  

Some abject piffle as well.

Theres alot of people calling for Camara to play but i haven't seen a great deal that makes me think he is any better than what we already have

Seems to be the Albentosa effect all over again - i seem to remember he was the great hope that would come in for Keogh and everything would be wonderful

After Boro (who happen to be the best team in the league) beat us there was a massive panic at the club and we signed two average players and changed the formation and the last two games have shown we are now all over the place

For Burnley i'd play Carson - Christie Keogh Shackell Warnock - Butterfield Thorne Hendrick - Ince Martin Russell

But the Emphasis has to be to move the ball quicker and play higher up the pitch

39 minutes ago, Saturn5 said:

Theres alot of people calling for Camara to play but i haven't seen a great deal that makes me think he is any better than what we already have

Seems to be the Albentosa effect all over again - i seem to remember he was the great hope that would come in for Keogh and everything would be wonderful

After Boro (who happen to be the best team in the league) beat us there was a massive panic at the club and we signed two average players and changed the formation and the last two games have shown we are now all over the place

For Burnley i'd play Carson - Christie Keogh Shackell Warnock - Butterfield Thorne Hendrick - Ince Martin Russell

But the Emphasis has to be to move the ball quicker and play higher up the pitch

Which other player on our books would you say is similar to Camara i.e. an out and out winger? Russell, Ince and Weimann all struggle to fight their natural inclination to cut inside, whether it's from the left or right. This makes our play very narrow, with little in the way of quality crosses for Martin or supporting midfielder to attack. We're currently not helped by having fullbacks, one who's good defensively but lacks decent pace to go forward and the other who, when he does go forward, is usually let down by a poor final ball into the box. Until Forsyth returns and hits form in the attacking half of the pitch, I see Camara as our only hope in providing some much-needed width to our play.

34 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Which other player on our books would you say is similar to Camara i.e. an out and out winger? Russell, Ince and Weimann all struggle to fight their natural inclination to cut inside, whether it's from the left or right. This makes our play very narrow, with little in the way of quality crosses for Martin or supporting midfielder to attack. We're currently not helped by having fullbacks, one who's good defensively but lacks decent pace to go forward and the other who, when he does go forward, is usually let down by a poor final ball into the box. Until Forsyth returns and hits form in the attacking half of the pitch, I see Camara as our only hope in providing some much-needed width to our play.

If you have seen anything from Camara either at Angers or with us you will know he has lightening pace but no end product and was always played as a left sided Striker not an out and out winger - so if this is what is required i stand corrected

Our play has never been about pumping the ball into the box for Martin to get on the end of, we have always played in through balls and moved the ball quickly behind the defence 

I hope Camara is a great player and the new messiah but from what i have seen he has a long way to go yet

2 minutes ago, Saturn5 said:

If you have seen anything from Camara either at Angers or with us you will know he has lightening pace but no end product and was always played as a left sided Striker not an out and out winger - so if this is what is required i stand corrected

Our play has never been about pumping the ball into the box for Martin to get on the end of, we have always played in through balls and moved the ball quickly behind the defence 

I hope Camara is a great player and the new messiah but from what i have seen he has a long way to go yet

Who mentioned pumping balls into the box? There's a huge difference between that and a measured cross - just think how many goals we scored from Forsyths' crosses from the left!

Agree about through balls to Martin but a lot of that was down to the vision of Will, with much of the benefit coming when Martin laid the pass off to Bryson to score. With Will still unlikely to be available until March, only Butterfield (and an on-form Thorne) seem capable of supplying the quality of quick passing which seems to have deserted us.

Carson 

Christie Keogh Shackell Warnock 

Hendrick Thorne Butterfield 

Camara Martin Johnson

I'm giving Bradley the benefit of doubt and trying him in the position he thrived in at Norwich. 

But whatever PC goes with, he'd be well to keep the same side for a few weeks, build up some fluency and trust. The constant chopping and changing in midfield hasn't worked. Especially when the one poor performer in midfield keeps getting selected whilst Jeff and JB are dropped at the drop of a hat. 

We've not played so great since the arrival of Ince, how many games have we dominated since he arrived last January? Wolves, Bristol..?

Martin has struggled for goals since Ince was brought in too coincidently. We've got quite possibly the most inconsistent trio in Ince, Russell and Weimann - isn't it any wonder Martin is struggling? Poor sod

Christie doesn't hack it for me either, another player too inconsistent to be playing week in. Baird was decent in pre season, so give him a run of games, if it doesn't work then Christie gets the nod.

Weimann, Russell, Christie, Shotton, Hanson and Hendrick - all players failed to improve under Clement, infact I'd go as far as to say only Keogh and Warnock have kicked on from last season and have improved which is worrying considering Clements main job is to improve what he has at his disposal. 

Carson

Baird Keogh Shackell Warnock (Forsyth when fit)

Thorne

Butterfield Hughes

Blackman (reluctantly)  Martin Camara

subs; Grant, Christie, Hendrick , Ince, Bent, Johnson, Buxton

Carson

Christie  Keogh  Shackell  Warnock

Thorne

Hughes   Butterfield

Ince             Martin         Johnson 

Would really like to see Johnson on the left wing in a more attacking position, he's been really poor in a defensive role.

If everyone's fit and on form than this:

Carson

Christie Keogh Shackell Forsyth

Johnson Thorne Hughes

Russell    Martin   Ince

Our strongest 11 in at this moment is:

Carson

Hendrick Thorne Butterfield

Camara   Martin  Ince

Carson, Christie, Warnock, Keogh, Shackell, Thorne, Johnson, Butterfield, Ince, Weimann, Martin.

I wasn't sure on Carson signing as I didn't think he was an improvement on Grant but fair play. I got it wrong. Grant looks finished.

Johnson over Hendrick because he's a much better player. I'm not going to overreact to some bad form.

Weimann is better than Russell in every area. And he has a nice neat haircut which is always a plus.

Not going to pick Camara because I've (we've) barely seen him. Judging a player on a few matches is silly. Who knows what will happen.

Chrissy Martin is the best striker in the league. His service has been poor, but he's also been well below par when he does get it so we do need a big improvement from him. Keep the faith.

Love it how everyones choosing Camara when he's only started 1 game.

Probably the same people who wrote Butterfield off after a couple games.

As of now -

Carson

Thorne

Butterfield Hendrick Johnson

Martin Blackman

The only slightly positive feature I saw on Saturday was when Martin came on and he and

Blackman seemed to combine quite well with blackman having a couple of opportunities.

So I would give that a go with two up front.

2 hours ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Camara Martin Johnson

I'm giving Bradley the benefit of doubt and trying him in the position he thrived in at Norwich. 

Except that's not the position he played at Norwich.  Whenever I saw him, he played on the left of a midfield diamond, so very much still a central midfielder, but with some license to drift wide.  He definitely didn't play on the left of a front 3 where pace and dribbling skills are much more important.

2 hours ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Carson, Christie, Warnock, Keogh, Shackell, Thorne, Johnson, Butterfield, Ince, Weimann, Martin.

I wasn't sure on Carson signing as I didn't think he was an improvement on Grant but fair play. I got it wrong. Grant looks finished.

Johnson over Hendrick because he's a much better player. I'm not going to overreact to some bad form.

Weimann is better than Russell in every area. And he has a nice neat haircut which is always a plus.

Not going to pick Camara because I've (we've) barely seen him. Judging a player on a few matches is silly. Who knows what will happen.

Chrissy Martin is the best striker in the league. His service has been poor, but he's also been well below par when he does get it so we do need a big improvement from him. Keep the faith.

Haha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha.

Archived