How to fix a train wreck?

Stimacked

The wheels are well and truly off.

If you were manager what would you do to turn it around?

What is Mel's plan B?

Appointing an untried "head coach" to manage the team that Maclaren lost the plot with last season and in addition, to manage a bunch of big money signings plucked by Sam and Mel. This was always a risky strategy. 

Can this team pull themselves back together?

We played Brum at the wrong time.

Mel will be wondering if he was right to chuck in his cash after all.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mel's plan B? Is Mel the manager now?

As for the team, I think they just need to relax and get back to enjoying football. Sacrifice a bit of our (normal) solidness and try to play some more free flowing stuff. Add a fully fit Shackell and Thorne into our team last season and we would have romped it. That's the style of football we all want to see. A trip away would probably have been good for them but I can see why it's been cancelled with our busy schedule ahead.

Realise that I'm playing in a league where teams will have bad patches, and work hard with the players on the training ground to get their confidence back.

That and ask Mel for some money to offer a half season ticket refund to all the negative ***** that think because we have spent money we deserve to win every match...rather have a lower crowd than some of the so called fans we have at the moment.

Back to basics. 4-3-3 clearly is our best formation, even if a midfield two of Bradley Johnson and Jacob Butterfield is a little unbalanced.

This team, prior to Leeds away, went eight games unbeaten, sat 2nd in the table and had a four point gap over Hull City.

We beat Ipswich away 1-0 with a solid enough display, we cruised past the likes of Cardiff and Fulham at home with routine victories. We played out a dull 0-0 at Sheffield Wednesday, a very good team if you consider their form.

We battered Brighton for 60 minutes, 2-2 was more than a fair result.

So why change it all? Why why why? All we needed in January was one natural winger, one better than Weimann and Russell. And possibly a new left-back.

So what do we do? Bring in an unknown from France and Nick Blackman whose best position is RW or RCF in a 4-4-2. I'm sorry, but we have Tom Ince for that role - arguably our most gifted attacker.

This smacks of Bent/Weimann all over again. Who the feck sanctioned these deals? 

As for fixing this mess. Well, seeing as selling Blackman is off the cards, I'd start by dropping him immediately, telling him I'm sorry but unless he adapts his game he dosn't fit in with the successful 4-3-3.

I'd go back to basics. If Thorne is injured, play someone who can play DM - Baird or Hanson are the two best options.

Martin CF, as that's his best positionl. Ince and Russell/Weimann as the LW. Butterfield and Hendrick seem our most balanced midfield two - perhaps I'd go with them. But, whoever our midfield two are, I'd like to see them push up more and get into the box more often. Ie. Hull away!

Unbelievable how we've managed to replicate last season's disaster with the signing of Darren Bent. Who sanctions our deals? Jesus. What are you playing at?

What I can't get my head round is that we've spent nearly £30 million on new players, and STILL have the same problem that unhinged us last season, which is what happens when Thorne and Martin are injured, suspended or out of form?

You could have solved the problem for that amount, and signed Butterfield to replace Hughes. 

The issue is that 433 can be countered by pressing high and cutting off the service to the centre forward. Because of that, IMO 433 will not get us into the top two. However, if we go back to how we played it best, it will keep us in the top six. It is also my opinion that a lot of money has been wasted bringing in players without a clear idea of the system we will play. I think that 433 is still our best system and we should utilise until the end of the season and then reconsider it, depending on how things have gone.

I have always maintained that Ince does not fit into the 433 system. He's certainly capable of some moments of magic, but the TEAM is better without him in it. We should return to an 'attack first' policy. I'd demand that the forward midfielders and wide attackers got close to Martin. OK, we'll concede a few more, but it'll be better to watch and we'll get better results overall. I'd also look to bring in a more attacking left back - 433 requires the full backs to bomb on to give width.

I would play

Carson

Christie Keogh Shackell Warnock (until replaced)

Thorne

Bryson (if fit, Hendrick if not) Butterfield

Russell Martin Camara

1 minute ago, CornwallRam said:

The issue is that 433 can be countered by pressing high and cutting off the service to the centre forward. Because of that, IMO 433 will not get us into the top two. However, if we go back to how we played it best, it will keep us in the top six. It is also my opinion that a lot of money has been wasted bringing in players without a clear idea of the system we will play. I think that 433 is still our best system and we should utilise until the end of the season and then reconsider it, depending on how things have gone.

I have always maintained that Ince does not fit into the 433 system. He's certainly capable of some moments of magic, but the TEAM is better without him in it. We should return to an 'attack first' policy. I'd demand that the forward midfielders and wide attackers got close to Martin. OK, we'll concede a few more, but it'll be better to watch and we'll get better results overall. I'd also look to bring in a more attacking left back - 433 requires the full backs to bomb on to give width.

I would play

Carson

Thorne

Russell Martin Camara

Russell???? What

8 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Back to basics. 4-3-3 clearly is our best formation, even if a midfield two of Bradley Johnson and Jacob Butterfield is a little unbalanced.

This team, prior to Leeds away, went eight games unbeaten, sat 2nd in the table and had a four point gap over Hull City.

We beat Ipswich away 1-0 with a solid enough display, we cruised past the likes of Cardiff and Fulham at home with routine victories. We played out a dull 0-0 at Sheffield Wednesday, a very good team if you consider their form.

We battered Brighton for 60 minutes, 2-2 was more than a fair result.

So why change it all? Why why why? All we needed in January was one natural winger, one better than Weimann and Russell. And possibly a new left-back.

So what do we do? Bring in an unknown from France and Nick Blackman whose best position is RW or RCF in a 4-4-2. I'm sorry, but we have Tom Ince for that role - arguably our most gifted attacker.

This smacks of Bent/Weimann all over again. Who the feck sanctioned these deals? 

As for fixing this mess. Well, seeing as selling Blackman is off the cards, I'd start by dropping him immediately, telling him I'm sorry but unless he adapts his game he dosn't fit in with the successful 4-3-3.

I'd go back to basics. If Thorne is injured, play someone who can play DM - Baird or Hanson are the two best options.

Martin CF, as that's his best positionl. Ince and Russell/Weimann as the LW. Butterfield and Hendrick seem our most balanced midfield two - perhaps I'd go with them. But, whoever our midfield two are, I'd like to see them push up more and get into the box more often. Ie. Hull away!

Unbelievable how we've managed to replicate last season's disaster with the signing of Darren Bent. Who sanctions our deals? Jesus. What are you playing at?

Bit harsh on camara. He looks better than all of our wingers

1 minute ago, CornwallRam said:

I would play

Carson

Thorne

Russell Martin Camara

Like last season, 4-3-3 had us in the top two with a four-point buffer over third.

I don't understand the calls for it to be changed - why? I mean, yes there will be games where we come unstuck. We're not Barcelona, we won't win every game.

So why after we lose one, or draw one with 4-3-3, do we get calls of 'We've been found out', 'Martin had no service', '4-3-3 doesn't work', 'Why do we have no Plan B' etc etc.

It really isn't rocket science. 4-3-3 wielded us a run of one defeat in 19 - and 45 points in 19 games. I'm sorry, but if that isn't 'top two' form then I don't know what is.

We were never going to win every game. I'm not genuis, but sticking with what works is the best course of action. if we're forced to change things, or need to give Bent games, home against against Bristol City are ideal.

Not against Leeds away, or Reading coming off the back of 1 point in 6 and question marks over our top two credentials.

4-3-3 with Martin at CF works, perhaps 80% of the time but that's good enough for top two. Just like last season, we've thrown our success out the window and self-imploded. 

Just now, McLovin said:

Russell???? What

Russell was effective when played in that system. He's been useless recently, but my hope is that he'd return to form if returned to the role in which he performed best. I think a lot of the problem at the moment is that when he breaks forward, the general caution of the team, means that he has no one to pass to and three defenders closing in on him as they don't have any other runners to think about. He also covers for the fullback well, which is essential in that system. Camara apparently also does that.

26 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Like last season, 4-3-3 had us in the top two with a four-point buffer over third.

I don't understand the calls for it to be changed - why? I mean, yes there will be games where we come unstuck. We're not Barcelona, we won't win every game.

So why after we lose one, or draw one with 4-3-3, do we get calls of 'We've been found out', 'Martin had no service', '4-3-3 doesn't work', 'Why do we have no Plan B' etc etc.

It really isn't rocket science. 4-3-3 wielded us a run of one defeat in 19 - and 45 points in 19 games. I'm sorry, but if that isn't 'top two' form then I don't know what is.

We were never going to win every game. I'm not genuis, but sticking with what works is the best course of action. if we're forced to change things, or need to give Bent games, home against against Bristol City are ideal.

Not against Leeds away, or Reading coming off the back of 1 point in 6 and question marks over our top two credentials.

4-3-3 with Martin at CF works, perhaps 80% of the time but that's good enough for top two. Just like last season, we've thrown our success out the window and self-imploded. 

Last season our hand was forced by injuries, completely agree otherwise. 

I think i'd encourage our players to get back into form. We have too many players out of form at the moment. Get them playing at their best and i'm sure it wouldn't matter which formation was played it would work. In this league against the likes of Birmingham City hard work and not giving the ball away is key. Johnson didn't look interested most of the game with wild hoofs into no where when he was under the slightest bit of pressure. Get that Camara starting. He looked a threat and actually beat a player out wide and crossed the ball over :) yeahhhhh first time this season.

Archived