And we're done.

SaintRam

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Think Clement rates Bryson, so I'd be surprised to see him go. Dawkins time is up I think, Bucko to Burton now Nigel is there seems inevitable, some loan outs for game time. The lack of left back chase suggests Baird is considered Warnock cover and good enough. 

Think it more suggests Max Lowe is considered Warnock cover and good enough. Baird could play LB for the game Warnock gets injured in (if it happened) but I don't think he's all that capable at the position long term. 

I'm of a similar view regarding Blackman - £3 million is a lot for a squad player in the Championship.  I reckon the lack of attention paid to left back means the new coaching team really rate Lowe - maybe he is seen as a genuine option there for the longer term and Clement is therefore happy to go with just Warnock for now. I really hope so - with all these signings coming in it would be a shame if we fail to develop youth players.

29 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Thought Lowe was injured? Perhaps he's close to being back as well, giving cover there as well. I sure I head Lowe is very highly rated.

Think I remember reading something about he should be ok for end of Jan

2 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

I'm of a similar view regarding Blackman - £3 million is a lot for a squad player in the Championship.  I reckon the lack of attention paid to left back means the new coaching team really rate Lowe - maybe he is seen as a genuine option there for the longer term and Clement is therefore happy to go with just Warnock for now. I really hope so - with all these signings coming in it would be a shame if we fail to develop youth players.

In four month's time we'll have Forsyth back. Til then it's Warnock, Lowe and Baird. Presumably next season it'll be between Forsyth and Lowe, depending on which league we are in.

Warnock plus Lowe and maybe a returning Fozzy(?) should see us through this season. Loan in if necessary & yes, buy a new LB in the summer dependning which division we're in. Seems fair enough.

It seems to me that it wasn't really the defence that needed strengthening in this window, given our record so far this season. Aint broke, don't fix.

10 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

I don't think Blackman has been brought in as a squad player as much as providing more stiff competition for Russell and Weimann in wide areas. For a player that can play anywhere along the front line and has scored/assisted more than most others in this league this season in a weaker team than ours, £2m doesn't seem all that much. Plus Clement has worked with him before at Blackburn, he clearly feels as though he's capable of getting the best out of him. 

He might even be capable of playing in the centre up front as an alternative option to Martin, as Bent (granted he hasn't had many opportunities) hasn't impressed there yet. 

EDIT: I should have mentioned that if Blackman does well he will likely replace Russell in our first team.

2 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

Is there a tacit admission from Clement with the Camara and Blackman signings that Weimann hasn't worked out?

Of course there is, if you're adding 2 and 2 and making 65.

Archived