Depression, anxiety, stress and other related issues

Mostyn6

19 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

With a DPhil you're not going to struggle. NGOs, trade agencies, even the intelligence services are all viable options that could all be 'vocational' to a degree.

Thanks 🙂 I'm looking at NGOs and other types of work specifically in a think tank. Hopefully that'll turn something up 🙂

20 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I'm in a similar position albeit i've only another 10 years to think about.  Mate of mine became a tree surgeon after 20 years of being an accountant,  another mate of mine joined him who'd spent 8 years studying physics and was a technical engineer- he had a passion for climbing stuff and by his early 30's the aspirations he had in his chosen field hadn't overly come to fruition.  Three years later another mate who been a teacher for over 20years joined in to save his sanity .  They don't earn as much but they're all very happy to be doing something else and are all very fit.   It's an interesting conversation i'm sure when they discuss their backgrounds with their customers.  Regardless of whether your using your qualification or not it shows an employer you have an aptitude, can learn at a decent level and can apply yourself.  It will be the interpersonal skills they're looking at in interview and whether you can cope with Bob in accounts temper tantrums.  

I hope it works out for you! That's a really interesting story about your mate and I hope he loves it 🙂 Thanks for the advice which I'll definitely take! 

21 hours ago, Archied said:

It’s natural to feel like you do , the one thing I would advise though is to keep in the back of your mind if possible that so often in life things that happen that seem to be negative at the time turn out to be the best things that happen to us , try to stay positive and trust where life takes you , we make plans then life just laughs and takes us where we are meant to go 

Thanks Archied 🙂 That's what my mum and partner say to me when I'm having a difficult day. 

On 11/06/2024 at 08:50, Leeds Ram said:

Thanks 🙂 Yeah I do have plenty of transferrable skills. Think I'm just a bit sad at the likelihood of having to leave something that is my vocation really for an alternative career I really struggle to get as excited about. I've heard plenty of positive stories so am trying to keep focused on that though. 

I work with a few people who were in acedemia for a while before working for a company. They seem to like that they can put their ideas into practise, so maybe that could excite you a too. Good luck.

On 12/06/2024 at 10:23, Leeds Ram said:

Thanks Archied 🙂 That's what my mum and partner say to me when I'm having a difficult day. 

I’d echo what @Archied said.  A mate of mine was made redundant after  about 25 years at the same company.  Set up his own business and has never looked back.  Now, he’d say it’s one of the best things that happened to him, obviously didn’t think that way at the time.

Change can bring opportunity.  And whatever you do, nothing is permanent if you don’t like it after a while 👍.