John Lewis Christmas Advert

Kernow

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great song....i had a drunken bet with one of my mates a few years ago that whoever dies first the one left will sing "half the world away" at their funeral.... since then the song always makes me sad/emotional/sing etc.... thankfully both os us are still alive and kicking... the advert is ok, nothing special though and another hyped up "christmas tradition" that never was a christmas tradition but has been manufactured to be one. 

19 minutes ago, PrivateDerby said:

I bloody hate those types of adverts, trying to tap into emotions knowing the weak will give in, makes me not want to shop there.

Really though.....did seeing an old guy with a telescope really make you want to shop there??? Now seeing a buy 2 get 3 free offer at Argos...now thats a different matter eh..!

4 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Really though.....did seeing an old guy with a telescope really make you want to shop there??? Now seeing a buy 2 get 3 free offer at Argos...now thats a different matter eh..!

Does my head in, all them gushy OTT adverts, no wonder everyone's gone so soft and feminine in recent years, brainwashing! :lol:

The Mick ones good though!

Makes me laugh people complaining about a advert... 

My gosh we are a nation of moaners... Get a grip, don't like it switch over... The BBC don't have adverts. You can moan about the licence fee then.

Does it make me want to shop there... No.

Sometimes we just live in a cynical old world... 

What I find interesting about this campaign is that there's nothing to buy in the advert. It's all about "soft" marketing & reinforcing the postive impression of John Lewis as a brand & as an employer.

In some ways, I see them as a traditional British department store (in a good way) that has somehow managed to stay profitable and competitive when the rest of the market has joined a race to the bottom for quality/price/customer experience and corporate social responsibility. Waitrose has consistently been the only non-discount food retailer in recent years to enjoy growing sales and that's based on investment in their people and stores in order to provide an inviting environment with friendly, motivated and helpful staff.

Good luck to 'em.

3 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

i have never ever bought anything from John Lewis....just like i have never bought anything from Debenhams...they always seem like places my mum and gran would go, why would i.?

Take out the main supermarkets and JLP are the biggest retailer in the UK, whilst your mum and gran may shop there, so do a lot of other people.  They stock some good clothing brands and top end electrical items that in the main come with an extended guarantee compared to their competitors.  

I would say their customer service, pinned with the never knowingly undersold motto is one of their biggest consumer USPs.  Given they recorded double digit growth figures, the marketing campaign they have certainly hits the mark, probably not to the average football fan, but I wouldn't have guessed an advert would not sway you one way or the other to buy.

You did ask :-D

1 hour ago, Leeds Ram said:

Take out the main supermarkets and JLP are the biggest retailer in the UK, whilst your mum and gran may shop there, so do a lot of other people.  They stock some good clothing brands and top end electrical items that in the main come with an extended guarantee compared to their competitors.  

I would say their customer service, pinned with the never knowingly undersold motto is one of their biggest consumer USPs.  Given they recorded double digit growth figures, the marketing campaign they have certainly hits the mark, probably not to the average football fan, but I wouldn't have guessed an advert would not sway you one way or the other to buy.

And the other reason for me never shopping there is that I live in Florida, but of a trek for a new duvet. 

1 hour ago, Leeds Ram said:

How long you worked there?

4 hours ago, mcsilks said:

I actually really like the John Lewis adverts. Yes, they're trying to pull on those heart strings but what's wrong with that. 

It's nice to watch something that's nice and warm every once in a while.

Bloody 'ell , Darth Vader has just blown up  Planet Earth , and you call it 'nice and warm' !!

I liked the Penguins one... This one just seems daft. What's the old guy doing on the moon, where's his space suit and where can I get a telescope as good as his? And someone should tell Richard Branson about those balloons not only can they travel round the world but also all the way to the moon. 

Archived