Automatic Promotion or Play Off Contenders!

Whitlams1968

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was convinced about automatic promotion until last night. We now  need another ten match unbeaten run to stay in touch as Boro, Hull and Burnley really mean business. Fullbacks are not automatic promotion material. We will need the next level up, either this season or next if we do go up, so get them asap if possible. probably cost £5 million each!

1 hour ago, Rampage said:

I was convinced about automatic promotion until last night. We now  need another ten match unbeaten run to stay in touch as Boro, Hull and Burnley really mean business. Fullbacks are not automatic promotion material. We will need the next level up, either this season or next if we do go up, so get them asap if possible. probably cost £5 million each!

Those teams probably look at us and think the same. We honestly won't know until the last month of the season!

I do agree that we need to look out our full back options though. I think we'll see some players go and arrive after Xmas!

Given the way the league is shaping up , with 4 or 5 top teams generally beating the rest, I suspect it will come down to how we perform against our fellow contenders over the rest of the season.  In other words, how we get on in the 'big games' will decide if we get promotion. And that is how it should be : if we do well in most of them , we will deserve to go up. If we don't, then they deserve to go up and we don't.

Last season was different - we didn't lose to any of the three who went up. But our form against the others was indifferent at times.

2 hours ago, ValeRam said:

Given the way the league is shaping up , with 4 or 5 top teams generally beating the rest, I suspect it will come down to how we perform against our fellow contenders over the rest of the season.  In other words, how we get on in the 'big games' will decide if we get promotion. And that is how it should be : if we do well in most of them , we will deserve to go up. If we don't, then they deserve to go up and we don't.

Last season was different - we didn't lose to any of the three who went up. But our form against the others was indifferent at times.

I did not see Hull 3 - 0 Boro  coming. We play Hull away soon. If we lose we could then  be seven points adrift. That is how important it was to win last night. Burnley made little effort to attack today. they were always going to be happy with one more point! Forest played three games in a week as did we, but did they expend the energy that we did? The error was made in team selection against Rotherham. Would Hanson for Hendrick after 30 minutes have given us a better chance? I now think so.

Play offs will be a good result top two would be brilliant. Each season is going to be even harder when teams come down from prem  with cash to burn every championship team is gonna be further behind including us. For example next season looks likely to see Sunderland, Aston villa and either Bournemouth Norwich. The longer teams like us n forest for example stay out of top flight barring a catastrophic collapse in English football the best we are going to get is probably top 6. 

On 06/11/2015, 14:18:17, trevor1946 said:

I   can not understand why people are waiting till march to  believe             ,A Forest game tonight,Nov---Dec  Jan--Feb,all to come,,My believe is a lot of money has been spent putting this squad together,if we don-t believe now we never will,

Top six looks good---Top two very possible,,expectations high --spirits up,looks a very capable squad.

Premiership ,a brilliant effort ,Season a good one looking at the options.

I BELIEVE

Errr, yes quite. Google translate anyone?

Think all the top 5 teams at present are conscious of the ability  from the teams around them,Brighton should be worried having not lost all season and still not being top ,I don't think they will improve any during the season leaving Hull ,Middlesborough and Burnley as serious contenders.

No one will take us lightly and will see us as major contenders for the autos ,last. Night very disappointing but hopefully a blip,3 points lost against a team that won't be competing at the top come the end of the season ,so far. Better to drop points here than against the like s of Hull.

I am sure the lads will take the loss seriously and learn from last night ,hopefully bring the team together and make them stronger and more determined to do better.You can some times learn a lot more about yourself and colleagues when things go wrong and I hope lessons were learnt last night by the players and PC.

Thought Bent should have come on a lot earlier,is he ever going to get a chance to put in a performance ,last night would have been a good time .Will be interesting to see what. Moves we make in the transfer market during January if any .

Brighton continue on their fantastic unbeaten run & I must admit it is impressive - Hull just proved how good they can actually be when the pressure is on them with the thrashing of Boro.

So we need to improve if we want to have any thoughts of promotion but my concern regarding the defeat on Friday was it wasn't the first time [ just a blip] that we have played very poorly in a game. When teams come at us we generally get goals and win the games unfortunately when teams sit back like Forest did we do struggle to break down the 2x lines of 4, its happened many times now this season, Bolton, Charlton, Boro, Burnley, Blackburn now Forest.

Even Higginbotham on the Sky was asked before the game if he thought Forest would come at Derby from the start, he said something like ......No, they would be better off playing counter attack and catching Derby on the break .......Which is exactly how they played, they sat deep throughout the game and we had no idea how the break them down, they placed 2 CB on Martin and took him out of the game, so why then didn't we play with width? We were 2nd to the loose balls, they closed us down very quickly and we had no answer.

Are we becoming one dimensional?

Some of the changes that were made in the game were made far to late in the game - there was no plan B against Forest.

With the exception of Carson and Warnock it was a very poor performance lacking ideas, I only hope we don't play like this against Cardiff and Hull..........

17 minutes ago, super rams said:

Brighton continue on their fantastic unbeaten run & I must admit it is impressive - Hull just proved how good they can actually be when the pressure is on them with the thrashing of Boro.

So we need to improve if we want to have any thoughts of promotion but my concern regarding the defeat on Friday was it wasn't the first time [ just a blip] that we have played very poorly in a game. When teams come at us we generally get goals and win the games unfortunately when teams sit back like Forest did we do struggle to break down the 2x lines of 4, its happened many times now this season, Bolton, Charlton, Boro, Burnley, Blackburn now Forest.

Even Higginbotham on the Sky was asked before the game if he thought Forest would come at Derby from the start, he said something like ......No, they would be better off playing counter attack and catching Derby on the break .......Which is exactly how they played, they sat deep throughout the game and we had no idea how the break them down, they placed 2 CB on Martin and took him out of the game, so why then didn't we play with width? We were 2nd to the loose balls, they closed us down very quickly and we had no answer.

Are we becoming one dimensional?

Some of the changes that were made in the game were made far to late in the game - there was no plan B against Forest.

With the exception of Carson and Warnock it was a very poor performance lacking ideas, I only hope we don't play like this against Cardiff and Hull..........

If our style was easy to play against, we would have zero points not 30 after 16 games.

People fret too much about being found out, no plan B etc. We're never going to win every game in the Championship, we're not Barcelona, so I think a little realism is needed.

There will be games where we underperform, there will be games where we play brilliantly.

It's all part and parcel of being in the Championship.

We were rubbish against Forest, but so were Bournemouth and Norwich last year when they both lost at the City Ground. Nobody will ever win every game, or even play well in every game...

We just have to accept it and move on.

39 minutes ago, super rams said:

What I was getting at is its not the first time. Not a blip.

Clubs will get wise on how to play against us.

That's fine, providing Paul isn't the one-trick pony, tactically, that Mac was.

Autos are still possible. I wouldn't worry too much about the Forest game, they're rarely an accurate barometer. If we weren't going for promotion then I'd take a win over Forest any and every day of the week, but given the situation we're in then I'd rather take the three points from Hull.

Failing that then the playoffs should be a comfortable target. The top two will come from Hull, Boro, Burnley and us. Whichever two don't make the autos will likely be at Wembley come May.

In times such as these I find solace in the quote 'Sometimes you have to lose the battle to win the war'.

Hopefully lessons learned from Friday will help us improve in coming games. It didn't particularly work last season when it all fell to bits, but no need to hit the panic button just yet. Looking forward to seeing how PC and the players react.

Archived