1992 FA Cup Replay v Burnley at BBG

Mick Harford

qna3r9.jpg

Just chatting about away fans on another forum, and remembered the FA cup 2nd replay against Burnley in Jan 92  when the Burnley fans chanted teh same song over and over again.

On the 25th of January "Jimmy Mullen's Claret and Blue army" was born, A demonstration of support that surpassed anything the so called Big teams have ever seen. Losing and out of the FA Cup Burnley's traveling army burst into the loudest din (i have ever heard at a football match) ,Shouting Clapping ,Stamping ,Singing, the voice was one the demonstration almost fierce .Jimmy Mullen's Claret and blue army was there for the world to see .

It has been four and a half years since the dreadful Orient game ,and here we have a collection of supporters who stood tall ,so tall the national press stood up to take notice , any player, official or supporter who was there that night (Derby or Burnley), Will never forget the Clarets roar.

Fifteen minutes before the end of the now lost match, and fifteen minutes after the final whistle ,the voice was clear and true "Burnley were back" and its down to Jimmy Mullen 

The Sun reported on it with this:

REAL FANS ROAR OUT MESSAGE TO ALL THE FAT CATS 

Jimmy Mullen is due in court this morning to answer a drink drive allegation. 

On Saturday,he watched his goalkeeper inexplicably drop the ball to present Derby with a decisive second goal that swept his team out of the fa cup. 

Now,you couldn't claim that these have been the the happiest few days in the life of fourth division Burnley. 

And yet Mullen has found himself at the centre of a remarkable phenomenon perhaps unique in the grand history of football's most romantic competition. 

I don't care what kind of response former Burnley midfield man Brian Flynn received as manager of Wrexham on their latest day of glory at West Ham. 

It wouldn't have been a patch on the acclaim given to the boss of the club where he began. 

I want to tell you about the most heartening, stimulating and optimistic occasion i have experienced for many .many years. 

Derby v Burnley was a match in a time-warp.A third round match played on fourth round day . But the real blast from the past came from far more distant days... 

When fans came only to back there beloved team, not fight there opposite numbers . when fences were not needed and policemen merely smiled in approval. 

Burnley took 4,000 Lancashire lads and lasses to the midlands.and they were sensational. 

Soon after goalkeeper Chris Pearce dropped his dreadful clanger they set up one of the loudest ,sustained dins I've ever heard on a foot ball ground anywhere in the world 

"Jimmy Mullen's claret and blue army" was the chant from the terraces and double decker stand that housed Burnley's claret and blue army. 

Over and over they chanted it. Clapping and stamping there feet and drumming on the advertisement boards in perfect rhythm. 

On and on for 20 minutes until the end of the match and 15 Min's after.Until i urged the clubs chairman to get his manager and players to leave their dressing room , return to the pitch and wave their appreciation. 

The bedlam was almost deafening, I t was a colorful and spectacular sight .But it was something far more important than that . 

I wanted others to see and hear it . Big men important men who are making decisions that could alienate the game from ordinary working folk. 

I wanted Graham Kelly to be there to prove to him that those who talk super leagues should not underestimate the passion of the so called little clubs. 

I wanted sir John Quinton to be there so that the bank chairman chosen to preside over the elite could learn something of life at the other end of the scale. 

I wanted officials of Man Utd and Arsenal, Liverpool and the other fat cats behind the move to change the face of football to hear the voices of the people. 

The bedlam of Burnley was not a simply a cry of support for another of the fa cups beaten teams It was a roar of defiance 

"Traditions" said Arthur Cox , Derby's manager whose time in north east football taught him all there is to know about fanaticism." you heard the traditions of Burnleys past out there 
toda. A major club of 30 years ago, don't forget" 

those who kept up that thunderous clatter were real football fans . Genuine Football people with a deep love of their club ,no matter what the result  They had nothing to do with the executive box brigade and the corporate hospitality merchants to whom football is a pandering of the modern era. 

They stood in the rain sat in the cold and screamed their allegiance to a game which,at the highest level, continues to turn its back. 

English football has no right to dismiss or take lightly the support of people like those who raised their voices so valiantly at the baseball ground. 

This remember was the support of a team who lost to a deflected free kick and a goal handed on a plate by a goalkeeper who couldn't catch the ball. 

The frost that caused postponements had managers and scouts flocking to derby...... 

Brian Clough David Pleat, Neil Warnock, Ian Branfoot together with scouts from Villa,QPR,Norwich,Portsmouth,Leicester,West Ham...And with Leeds ,Man Utd, Oldham Coventry,Cambridge,Blackburn to name a few. 

Some will report back about an individual player or one side or the other. But all will first tell the story of those incredible Burnley supporters 

So at least the message will be cast far and wide . The cry from the fourth division will reach high places . 

"In all my 23 years in the game I've never anything like that" Jimmy gasped 

"It left my players feeling like they were prepared to die for those people " 

It left Arthur Cox thinking out load"Burnley have had a reminder of how things could be.It was a demonstration of potential" 

"They have to try to make sure they get promotion and don't let those people down" And that is a sobering thought.

Anyone else remember that game?, can't find any highlights of it only the abonded initial replay and the first game.

Best atmosphere I ever experienced at a non-Wembley game.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went to Turf moor for the first tie... Martin Chalk scored after 27 seconds?

Went to both abandoned and eventual replay which was played in FA CUP 4th round day!

Brilliant night...the abandoned game was great too, someone scored an amazing goal that night that obviously never counted, I forget who....I want to say Patterson..?

Burnley are a great club, with brilliant fans, a real football club B4 all this Sky rubish they were always one of the best away fans, despite what some children on here think.

can also remember Villa coming around the same time and bringing thousands all over the Lea Stand too chanting "Josef Venglos Claret and Blue army" for all the second half  

happy days....

Was Patterson I thought, I also seem to think he may have broken his leg in one of matches.

Didn't villa beat us 4-3? 

I'm with you Muespach, Burnley fans have always seemed quite knowledgeable and sound to me, similar to Wednesday really.

I still find teh match report ominous, I doubt they would have guessed at just how massive the gap would become, we finished 5th only a few years before.

Went to all three matches. I remember the seats at Burnely were wooden and huge - they must have big backsides in Lancashire. Had a bit of a set to with some Burnley youth after the match. The fog for the abandoned match was ridiculous, you could barely see the pitch from the Ley Stand. I was in the popside for the other match. I remember we tried to match the Burnley chant with our own which lasted 5 minutes or so. They were awesome that day fair play to them. They had a lot of young lads following them as I recall. I remember seeing car loads going through town before the match. Happy days...

I went to both the games at Derby and must admit I can't remember their fans doing anything out of the ordinary.

It was Mark Paterson who scored the great goal in the abandoned game but then sadly got injured (I want to say cruciate?) in the replayed game.

Edit - Just wiki'd Mark Paterson and it appears he is currently co-caretaker manager of Gillingham.

Also, I seem to remember in the fog game, the ref set a time where he would make a decision whether to abandon and then abandoned it before that time, only for the fog to clear to playable levels by the agreed time.

I went to both the games at Derby and must admit I can't remember their fans doing anything out of the ordinary.

It was Mark Paterson who scored the great goal in the abandoned game but then sadly got injured (I want to say cruciate?) in the replayed game.

Edit - Just wiki'd Mark Paterson and it appears he is currently co-caretaker manager of Gillingham.

Also, I seem to remember in the fog game, the ref set a time where he would make a decision whether to abandon and then abandoned it before that time, only for the fog to clear to playable levels by the agreed time.

Its funny how little things set off reminders in the memory. Now you mention this, I seem to remember thinking the fog had fulled cleared when we left the ground, and certainly for the walk back to the car /city centre.

Archived