Martin's performance as captain

Day

With Keogh and Baird deemed not fit to wear the captains armband recently, both were not leaders and we have far better options at the club was the general feeling. 

Baird now fit and ready to return and not looking like he has an easy route back into the team, would you be all happy for Martin to continue? how do we rate his performance as captain so far and what has he brought to the team as captain that Keogh and Baird were not offering with the elastic armband?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course if Baird doesn't make it into the team you would expect him to continue, I was asking more if everyone would be happy with that and what has Martin brought with the role that the other 2 haven't.

I don't believe Keogh or Baird have expressed a desire not to be chosen as captain yet people had strong feelings about them being chosen.

Of course if Baird doesn't make it into the team you would expect him to continue, I was asking more if everyone would be happy with that and what has Martin brought with the role that the other 2 haven't.

I don't believe Keogh or Baird have expressed a desire not to be chosen as captain yet people had strong feelings about them being chosen.

I suspect that Keogh might have done just that.

Do you think Baird will play at the weekend?

I think it's usually a waste of time making a centre forward captain. You can't marshal or organise anyone effectively from that position as you are too busy concentrating on your own game. Having said that, the armband is kind of redundant anyway. The natural captains on the pitch (Shackell, Keogh, Baird) will be vocal regardless of whether they're wearing an armband.

The strangest decision of the whole season so far is the fact they handed captaincy to a 33 year old who was never going to play all season.

Shackell struck me as the obvious choice for captain, but I suppose Clement couldnt wait around for him to sign.

Clement has no problem rotating his keepers, maybe he sees the same with captaincy, a different captain depending on who we are playing.  Baird to keep a level head, Martin if we need to lead from the front etc.

I certainly expect to see Johnson take the captaincy at some point in the future.

Personally, I think forwards are a poor choice for captain. They can be a bit too detached from things.

I'm fully expecting Baird to come back in at Right Back and will be surprised if Christie keeps the spot. I don't think that's right, just what will happen.

A lot of people are saying Shackell, and as much as I rate him as a player, I've always thought there was something a bit snidey about him.

My choice would be Bradley Johnson. For me he has that premiership class and experience, plus he seems to have made an impression on his team mates already, you can see it in their interactions before and during the game. They all had little bro-hugs before the game on Monday, which was cute. I've got a feeling he could be the buy of the season for us.

Archived