A Future Captain

Nuwtfly

I've just been listening to the RD interview post-Reading and couldn't be more impressed with the manner of Tom Ince. Comes across as a really level-headed, intelligent young individual. Certainly contrary to how he's been perceived in the media. Got me wondering as to whether he could be a potential Captain of Derby one day, and what other young players might one day take that armband.

Thorne and Hanson spring to mind. 

Who else do people think my be a future Derby captain?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ince seems like a really smart lad but during matches he doesn't seem like the player who'd try to instruct others what to do. Thorne would be my candidate for a future captain. At 22 he's already one of the more vocal players on the pitch and just from watching Rams Player clips of training you can tell he gets along with most if not all of the team

Well, his dad was captain of you national team...

But it would be rarity to have a captain who is not playing "in the spine" like I say it. Central position that means.

We do have quite a few ex-captains in our side:

Carson

Keogh

Shackell

Pearce

Bucko

Baird

Johnson

Bryson

(Hanson with youngsters)

am I missing someone?

But it would be rarity to have a captain who is not playing "in the spine" like I say it. Central position that means.

Carson

Keogh

Shackell

Pearce

Bucko

Baird

Johnson

Bryson

(Hanson with youngsters)

am I missing someone?

Could add Martin to list after last night

Do think when he gets to his peak years... Jeff Hendricks would be a good shout as a captain... 

And before you jump down my throat... I think his style of play would suit a captains role...

Hes a fair player who will improve with age... And a captains role wherever he ends up might be making of him when he's 27/28.

Looks set to feature for ROI for a long time too... Quite easily see him be in that set up for a decade... 70/80 caps for the taking... 

A decent improving player...

I don't think Hendrick inspires enough respect - he's very often the butt of player's jokes because he's so thick. A good lad, and a strong player but not captain material

I'm not thinking now... I'm thinking 60/70 caps down line for ROI

You could say Wayne Rooney.... John Terry etc were thick...

Ince hasn't been central enough often enough to be able to issue instructions to others.

Martin, Shackell, or possibly Bradley johnson for me

The main part of the question is "down the line" so 3 years or so. Shackell would be 34 and Johnson would be 30 or so. You gotta go young do that they can be captain for a long time. Martin though is a good shout.

The main part of the question is "down the line" so 3 years or so. Shackell would be 34 and Johnson would be 30 or so. You gotta go young do that they can be captain for a long time. Martin though is a good shout.

30 ain't really much if you're talking about captain, is it?

Do think when he gets to his peak years... Jeff Hendricks would be a good shout as a captain... 

And before you jump down my throat... I think his style of play would suit a captains role...

Hes a fair player who will improve with age... And a captains role wherever he ends up might be making of him when he's 27/28.

Looks set to feature for ROI for a long time too... Quite easily see him be in that set up for a decade... 70/80 caps for the taking... 

A decent improving player...

I haven't seen a thing which would make my think, that there's good captain. Maybe you could show me a game lately which would tell he really is improving,,, (and really, one trick for ROI ain't enough)

I'm really sorry, just can't understand your hype. Could you please explain me, there must be something I haven't seen (as what I've seen, he is about as close to captaincy as Forsyth.)

Carson

Keogh

Shackell

Pearce

Bucko

Baird

Johnson

Bryson

(Hanson with youngsters)

am I missing someone?

Wasn't Ince captain at Blackpool?

I haven't seen a thing which would make my think, that there's good captain. Maybe you could show me a game lately which would tell he really is improving,,, (and really, one trick for ROI ain't enough)

I'm really sorry, just can't understand your hype. Could you please explain me, there must be something I haven't seen (as what I've seen, he is about as close to captaincy as Forsyth.)

He's a much better player than given credit for.... 

Box to box... Positionally sound... Agree at times he can be cumbersome...

People call him thick. But I think he has a good footballing brain... Rarely tries to do the hard thing. 

Still young. I never said he should be captain now... Down the line when he gets to 27/28....

Would be a great shout for a middle of road Prem team... 

Or Am I not allowed to mention his strengths? 

A very good underrated player... Frustrates me when people right off young uns

Archived