Rugby World Cup 2015

StockholmRam

them their kiwis looked awesome last night. But France gave up.

Doing well on these calls so far. 

I wouldn't say France gave up, they set up as they needed to, tried to play to their strengths, but the Kiwis just hit top gear in a way that I doubt any side could contain. If New Zealand find two more performances like that, they'll win this World Cup. 

I'm still not overly convinced by South Africa, but they certainly did the job last night against a very strong Welsh side. 

What is interesting now is that we could very possibly have an all Southern Hemisphere semi finals for the first time. While the Southern Hemisphere is the dominant one in Rugby, it would still be a bit odd to not see any of the Northern nations in the last 4. 

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

have you noticed how Northern Hemisphere sides lose traction and fitness levels in the later parts of the games against Southern Hemisphere, is it fitness coaching or diet ?

Neither. It's playing against the three best sides in the world and trying to keep up with them for the full 80 minutes.

After a very good first half, forcing errors (though Australia didn't take much forcing here), they've now got a yellow card, and Australia have got a try on the back on it. 

Another hard kick for Foley, but he makes this one. 22-16 to Australia, but don't write Scotland off, they're looking good. 

Gutted, thought that after the interception try by Bennett that our luck had finally turned. Great game, great day out apart from the result.

Ive read lots today about Joubert and the varoius contentious decisions in the game. The reality of it is we should of thrown the last lineout to the front and killed the game. 

Really strange that he sprinted down the tunnel at the end instead shaking the players hands. The silence fron him and IRB has been deafening today.

Proud of the way Scotland played and there's hope for the future.

That whole play that led to Australia's penalty was calamitous. Joubert missed the late tackle on Hogg, somehow. Scotland should have killed the game from the line out, but even then it shouldn't have been a penalty. Scrum, Australia put in. He wouldn't even consult the TMO, which would have put the issue to bed.

It was a great game, a shame that it'll probably remembered, on these shores at least as one that was settled by a dodgy ref's call.

Either way, congrats to Jockland for pushing them far harder than anyone really expected them to.

Thing is though Staffs that the refs are only allowed by RWC rules to consult TMO for try's and foul play... He got the decision wrong but calls for his head over not asking TMO way off the mark... I would expect players, especially captains ( I.e. Laidlaw) to know this... 

Shame for Scotland..mighty effort... 

Gutted, thought that after the interception try by Bennett that our luck had finally turned. Great game, great day out apart from the result.

Ive read lots today about Joubert and the varoius contentious decisions in the game. The reality of it is we should of thrown the last lineout to the front and killed the game. 

Really strange that he sprinted down the tunnel at the end instead shaking the players hands. The silence fron him and IRB has been deafening today.

Proud of the way Scotland played and there's hope for the future.

There are reports of a missile being thrown at him, and it's fairly standard for them to not make an official comment until they've completed their report. 

Scotland played well, Australia was basically willing them into the semi-finals throughout much of the game. That Slipper pass to set up the try was... just wow. 

He shouldn't really have needed the TMO though either way, but I agree, demanding his scalp is taking it too far. 

I'm still not entirely sure how he missed the tackle on Hogg though.....

At full speed it looked like an offside, and there's people still debating that it was. Ultimately though I don't really care, it wasn't his best game, but it was hardly a horror call. He missed things throughout the game, but it wasn't the worst performance. The abuse he's been getting today is cringe worthy though. 

Tend to agree Albert. You just have to take it on the chin. We've all been there and been on the wrong end of these kind of things - we had a perfectly good try disallowed in the final against SA in 2007 that would have won us the game, but you get over it eventually. Hopefully Scotland will do as well. 

Still a shame though, they're focusing on the wrong things today - they played magnificently. Far better than anyone expected. I know Australia weren't really at the races for parts of the game, but even so, I'd have taken a lacklustre Australia side to take Scotland to the cleaners tbh. 

Thing is though Staffs that the refs are only allowed by RWC rules to consult TMO for try's and foul play... He got the decision wrong but calls for his head over not asking TMO way off the mark... I would expect players, especially captains ( I.e. Laidlaw) to know this... 

Shame for Scotland..mighty effort... 

read this

referees can consult about matters involving clarification of offsides too.

http://pulse-static-files.s3.amazonaws.com/test/worldrugby/document/2015/09/21/7a7f2e84-29e4-4619-b9b3-28fffcabcf34/TMO_Protocol.pdf

Tend to agree Albert. You just have to take it on the chin. We've all been there and been on the wrong end of these kind of things - we had a perfectly good try disallowed in the final against SA in 2007 that would have won us the game, but you get over it eventually. Hopefully Scotland will do as well. 

Still a shame though, they're focusing on the wrong things today - they played magnificently. Far better than anyone expected. I know Australia weren't really at the races for parts of the game, but even so, I'd have taken a lacklustre Australia side to take Scotland to the cleaners tbh. 

Ach, I know we've got to take it on the chin but we don't get many better chances than yesterday to cause an upset. 

The wallabies at full pelt should of buried us, but sport occasionally doesn't follow the script. That what makes us Scots go back for more.

Looking forward,  the 6 nations should be a cracker, who knows what the lineups of the countries will be. Will Gatland move west, will the Irish be happy with a quarter final performance? How will the England managerial setup look? Could do worse than poaching Gatland and Edwards.

Anyway, when does Scotland v Belgium in the Davis cup final start.....

Ach, I know we've got to take it on the chin but we don't get many better chances than yesterday to cause an upset. 

The wallabies at full pelt should of buried us, but sport occasionally doesn't follow the script. That what makes us Scots go back for more.

Looking forward,  the 6 nations should be a cracker, who knows what the lineups of the countries will be. Will Gatland move west, will the Irish be happy with a quarter final performance? How will the England managerial setup look? Could do worse than poaching Gatland and Edwards.

Anyway, when does Scotland v Belgium in the Davis cup final start.....

Billy has a cup?

World Rugby now having their say;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/34576756

Rugby World Cup 2015: 'Craig Joubert wrong to award penalty'

Referee Craig Joubert was wrong to award a crucial 78th-minute penalty against Scotland in Sunday's World Cup quarter-final defeat by Australia, says World Rugby.

Scotland led 34-32 at Twickenham when Jon Welsh was ruled deliberately offside for playing the ball after a knock-on by a team-mate.

The governing body said that, because Australia's Nick Phipps touched the ball, "the appropriate decision should have been a scrum to Australia for the original knock-on".

Scotland lost 35-34 after Bernard Foley kicked the penalty.

The statement added  that Joubert "could not refer to the television match official (TMO) in this case and therefore had to rely on what he saw in real time".

rule on foul play or whether tries or kicks at goal are legitimate.

Scotland coach Vern Cotter said a TMO referral "would have taken away any doubt".

Joubert has not been selected to officiate in this weekend's semi-finals with Frenchman Jerome Garces refereeing South Africa versus New Zealand on Saturday.

England's Wayne Barnes will oversee Australia against Argentina on Sunday. Both matches are at Twickenham.

World Rugby high performance match official manager Joel Jutge said: "Despite this experience, Craig has been and remains a world-class referee and an important member of our team."

The South African, who refereed the 2011 World Cup final, was criticised for running from the pitch after the final whistle without shaking hands with the players.

Former Scotland captain Gavin Hastings described Joubert's swift exitas the "the worst thing I have seen on a rugby field in a very long time".

Matt Dawson, part of England's World Cup-winning side of 2003, said it was "disrespectful to the game".

Archived