Are Derby County Really a smaller club than Hearts of Midlothian ?

Alan Ramage 4 EVA

I think anyone who doesn't understand what his wife is saying here doesn't understand the huge leap of faith Mackay made by joining us and moving his family to Derby, or what a huge coup it was for Clough and Taylor in persuading him to join us.

When Mackay played for Hearts, they were winning league and domestic titles and playing in front of crowds we could scarcely dream of. Playing for Spurs, he won the Double, the FA Cup a further three times, and the Cup Winner's Cup. 

When he signed for Derby, he was joining a second division side whose only notable achievement was an FA Cup win 20 years before. It's also worth considering that both Hearts and Tottenham play in their respective nation's capital cities, while Derby in 1968 wasn't even a city.

By twisting Mrs Mackay's comments to make some butt-hurt point about even being mentioned in the same sentence as tiny winy Hearts, you completely miss the point about how much that one man did for our club. When he signed for us, we were the smallest club he'd played for by some margin, but through the team he led to promotion and later managed to a second league title, he was part of a movement in the late 60s and early 70s which elevated Derby County to another next level.

Most of the fans around me in the East Stand look the sort of age where they might have started watching Derby around that sort of time, and I suppose their outrageous levels of expectation and entitlement can hardly be blamed - nobody told them it wasn't always going to be like that. 

But without Mackay, and Clough, and Taylor, and all those players at the dinner tonight, we'd be half the size we are today. We'd still be going through the motions in the second and third tiers, wondering what it would have been like to watch Raich Carter or Steve Bloomer play in their prime - and we'd probably settle for it. The bigger playing budget, bigger stadium, bigger attendances, bigger expectations, bigger everything we have in comparison to Hearts today is just as much down to Mrs Mackay's late husband as it is Clough and Taylor.

what I said in one sentence....well done

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just heard Mrs Mckay the wife of the late ,great Dave Mckay on R D .According to this lady we are the smallest of the three clubs Dave played for Hearts ,Spurs and Derby

fkn hell....how many times

M.  A.  C.  K.  A.  Y

I think anyone who doesn't understand what his wife is saying here doesn't understand the huge leap of faith Mackay made by joining us and moving his family to Derby, or what a huge coup it was for Clough and Taylor in persuading him to join us.

When Mackay played for Hearts, they were winning league and domestic titles and playing in front of crowds we could scarcely dream of. Playing for Spurs, he won the Double, the FA Cup a further three times, and the Cup Winner's Cup. 

When he signed for Derby, he was joining a second division side whose only notable achievement was an FA Cup win 20 years before. It's also worth considering that both Hearts and Tottenham play in their respective nation's capital cities, while Derby in 1968 wasn't even a city.

By twisting Mrs Mackay's comments to make some butt-hurt point about even being mentioned in the same sentence as tiny winy Hearts, you completely miss the point about how much that one man did for our club. When he signed for us, we were the smallest club he'd played for by some margin, but through the team he led to promotion and later managed to a second league title, he was part of a movement in the late 60s and early 70s which elevated Derby County to another next level.

Most of the fans around me in the East Stand look the sort of age where they might have started watching Derby around that sort of time, and I suppose their outrageous levels of expectation and entitlement can hardly be blamed - nobody told them it wasn't always going to be like that. 

But without Mackay, and Clough, and Taylor, and all those players at the dinner tonight, we'd be half the size we are today. We'd still be going through the motions in the second and third tiers, wondering what it would have been like to watch Raich Carter or Steve Bloomer play in their prime - and we'd probably settle for it. The bigger playing budget, bigger stadium, bigger attendances, bigger expectations, bigger everything we have in comparison to Hearts today is just as much down to Mrs Mackay's late husband as it is Clough and Taylor.

Beautifully put, possibly the best post I've read on this site, ever! 

I think she was making the point that it was the smallest club which has done more to mark the passing and  remember the great man.

Ouch, you got me there.

We have a massive ass-clown - sorry, Hibernian fan - on our forum pages and 99 per cent of the time it would seem every post includes a (derogatory) mention of their city rivlals and would probably indulge in great delight at something of this nature.  

In the simplest terms, No, Derby are NOT a smaller club side than Hearts.    The SPL is an often rebuked and trivialized league now (and has been for years) but believe way back in time Hearts did win a championship or two, but some would argue you can't compare Scottish achievements to those from England.    Whatever they occured then can never be beaten by your own honors list or make them a bigger club in terms of stature.  (I've seen it read that Mackay was Tottenham's greatest ever player and when you're in company with names such as Blanchflower, Greaves, Hoddle, Perryman etc then you've got to go some)

Archived