The Finance Thread

SillyBilly

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, SillyBilly said:

But I'm only on my third Abbot Ale of the night! Was specifically answering ZR with that post, I think he will understand as littered with the usual BS investment buzzwords :D

All I want to know is will my share portfolio turn green this year? I have mainly got blue chip companies paying high dividends. Some have taken a battering since Brexit and the last GE. BP seem to be on the up. Utilities seem to be down. I'm not sure if that is due to labours manifesto promises. Easy jet lost over 30% after Brexit but has nearly recovered now. Apart from that I haven't got a clue.

12 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I suppose that depends on who is in power.

Which vote guarantees economic success? I'm pretty sure I've seen a few and it wasn't limited to one party being in government. In fact I'd say I've experienced more Tory crashes than any other, so I guess you'r recommending a Labour vote.

9 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Which vote guarantees economic success? I'm pretty sure I've seen a few and it wasn't limited to one party being in government. In fact I'd say I've experienced more Tory crashes than any other, so I guess you'r recommending a Labour vote.

Aren’t they all useless most of the time. Only one I noticed remotely see the last crash coming was Cable, he’d been suggesting it well in advance. Shame about the party mind :ph34r:

9 hours ago, Gritters said:

All I want to know is will my share portfolio turn green this year? I have mainly got blue chip companies paying high dividends. Some have taken a battering since Brexit and the last GE. BP seem to be on the up. Utilities seem to be down. I'm not sure if that is due to labours manifesto promises. Easy jet lost over 30% after Brexit but has nearly recovered now. Apart from that I haven't got a clue.

Might interest you to see the dogs portfolio of high yielders. Not my sort, wouldn’t buy any of them personally, but thought I’d share given your reference to high dividend paying stocks.

http://www.moneyobserver.com/portfolio-ideas/dogs-footsie-2017-portfolio

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/01/2018 at 12:25, Gritters said:

Some food for thought on utilities, noticed this on a chart stateside.

Meantime, precious metals and in particular gold have started the year strong. Oh and so too have a few little miners :)

994930A0-4420-45DE-ACC4-7584B2CE1A48.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

2017 year profits for Apple = 48.35bn USD

2017 profits for Swiss Central Bank =55.25bn USD

For me, this is an abrogation of the role of central banks almost bordering on a criminal extension of their priviledges. "Lenders of last resorts" have now morphed their role into printing money at zero cost and buying the markets. These are real assets they're buying, real companies with real estate, employees, IP, stock etc. With nothing money. And now a small central European country's central bank earns more than the wealthiest company in the world? The Japanese central bank is buying literally everything. The ECB in my opinion cannot afford to taper to nothing. The Fed will reserse its balance sheet winding down big style at the first sign of recession. Where does it end?

The Fed is interesting as they're trimming their balance sheet at the same time as a front-loaded tax bill comes into effect where the biggest tax cut is in fiscal 2019( starting Oct 1, 2018). I see the Fed and the White House having distinctly conflicting objectives in terms of economic and fiscal policy. No way can the US earn $280bn (the tax cut) of growth immediately to offset one policy alone. Couple that with $75bn approved for defense increases. $81bn fund for disaster aid. $50bn already enacted. And the costs of getting the bill through the Senate? The under-the-table bribes will have been extraordinary for a bill like that. A Maine senator was supposedly promised a cast-iron bailing out of Obamacare deficits @ $20bn/year to the insurance companies. The US already is already expecting to run a deficit of 700bn USD in fiscal year 2019, adding up everything else then the US needs to flog at least 1.2trillion (6.1% GDP) AT THE SAME TIME the Federal reserve is committed to winding down its balance sheet? The Fed is committed to dumping about 600bn of existing bonds into the market by not rolling over, Uncle Sam wants 1.2trillion more, all this on the open market? The ONLY reason yields are so low is central banks have been buying the market, flood the market with that gargantuan amount then there is only one direction of travel for interest rates. Unless the fed reverses its only policy. Expanding the deficit 10 years into a recovery is a decision Trump will massively regret in my view. I think its calamitous.

7 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

2017 year profits for Apple = 48.35bn USD

2017 profits for Swiss Central Bank =55.25bn USD

For me, this is an abrogation of the role of central banks almost bordering on a criminal extension of their priviledges. "Lenders of last resorts" have now morphed their role into printing money at zero cost and buying the markets. These are real assets they're buying, real companies with real estate, employees, IP, stock etc. With nothing money. And now a small central European country's central bank earns more than the wealthiest company in the world? The Japanese central bank is buying literally everything. The ECB in my opinion cannot afford to taper to nothing. The Fed will reserse its balance sheet winding down big style at the first sign of recession. Where does it end?

The Fed is interesting as they're trimming their balance sheet at the same time as a front-loaded tax bill comes into effect where the biggest tax cut is in fiscal 2019( starting Oct 1, 2018). I see the Fed and the White House having distinctly conflicting objectives in terms of economic and fiscal policy. No way can the US earn $280bn (the tax cut) of growth immediately to offset one policy alone. Couple that with $75bn approved for defense increases. $81bn fund for disaster aid. $50bn already enacted. And the costs of getting the bill through the Senate? The under-the-table bribes will have been extraordinary for a bill like that. A Maine senator was supposedly promised a cast-iron bailing out of Obamacare deficits @ $20bn/year to the insurance companies. The US already is already expecting to run a deficit of 700bn USD in fiscal year 2019, adding up everything else then the US needs to flog at least 1.2trillion (6.1% GDP) AT THE SAME TIME the Federal reserve is committed to winding down its balance sheet? The Fed is committed to dumping about 600bn of existing bonds into the market by not rolling over, Uncle Sam wants 1.2trillion more, all this on the open market? The ONLY reason yields are so low is central banks have been buying the market, flood the market with that gargantuan amount then there is only one direction of travel for interest rates. Unless the fed reverses its only policy. Expanding the deficit 10 years into a recovery is a decision Trump will massively regret in my view. I think its calamitous.

You beat me to it. I was just about to say the same thing.

3 hours ago, SillyBilly said:

The Fed will reserse its balance sheet winding down big style at the first sign of recession. Where does it end?

The Fed is interesting as they're trimming their balance sheet at the same time as a front-loaded tax bill comes into effect where the biggest tax cut is in fiscal 2019( starting Oct 1, 2018). I see the Fed and the White House having distinctly conflicting objectives in terms of economic and fiscal policy. 

The simplest way of looking at it for me, is the “debt bubble” cannot go on forever. Everything was being done on the never never, all you said about central banks is true; somehow it will have to pop, Trump has to look to tax. The alternative is inflation, a bigger risk to me in that it would more likely run away because like me, they are not that smart unlikely to be able to put the brakes back on.

Meantime, many are sat on the sidelines waiting for a correction. (Chart below is my marker at present)

487EF98E-A5AA-49D2-A995-FD1D7A66C3EB.gif

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, King Kevin said:

Unless you have years and years worth of ISA's  the Savings Income allowance negates ISA's to a degree.

Sure does for cash isa’s.

I’m talking more equity based ISA’s of all descriptions? Wonder how many feel adventurous for any form of stock market investment?

10 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Sure does for cash isa’s.

I’m talking more equity based ISA’s of all descriptions? Wonder how many feel adventurous for any form of stock market investment?

I've had a modest amount tucked away in Funding Circle since December. 

Currently yielding 7%+, after all charges and fees,albeit over a small amount of time, and they've just launched an ISA. 

Depends on your appetite for risk I suppose.

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

I've had a modest amount tucked away in Funding Circle since December. 

Currently yielding 7%+, after all charges and fees,albeit over a small amount of time, and they've just launched an ISA. 

Depends on your appetite for risk I suppose.

Be careful of P2P lending services mate, you are not covered under the FSCS compensation scheme, I noticed a few not taking on new clients and a few backing out, I have a few big lenders getting a bit twitchy and personally not overly keen on the management team, too many pies and large thumbs...

On ‎07‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 22:32, StivePesley said:

Quite tempted to buy a wee bit of Ethereum and Ripple cryptocurrencies on the off chance that they have massive spikes like bitcoin did

I'm too big a wuss to go in big though..

I have never tasted Ethereum, is it nice?

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Time for an annual bump.

So another year on just reflecting in brief on thoughts this time last year, mainly if anyone wants to comment?.

Bond markets, ditto with yields looking to creep in 2019 despite the late drops. So for Stock Markets, once again optimists won largely over pessimistic views but there is definitely a wobble in the air and the traditional Santa rally was very late, in amongst the end of year volatility and sell offs.

As last year my preference would be even more away from the large caps and diversified into small cap miners, except I’d be strict in those already in production or near term producers; mainly as with any bumps coming, raising cash will be ever difficult. So I’m riding a few existing good winners or the sort that will likely do well on the Tsx.v or Asx juniors, with the odd gem amongst LSE’s AIM cesspit.

Commodities remains my sector of interest and both Gold and Silver have posted late year gains, I’d hope will continue? Surprise for me and one I got wrong, was the sell off on Lithium stocks due to weak prices in China. So no surprise 3 of the 6 worst performing mining stocks in Canada were linked to the battery material sector. Similarly, the best performer here and across the water were Vanadium miners, a little known commodity but important ingredient to strengthen steel. No surprise when the value of Vanadium doubles in a year, stocks in the sector have done so well.

Oil is something I kept away from and the sector has been smashed, is the bottom in, doubt it if global demand weakens, you rarely see oil prices go high on weak markets, so I’ll continue to avoid. The interesting thing is the flight away from the petro dollar, those believing the dollar will remain the market leader are in denial; there seems so many examples in such as Russia, Iran, the Middle East in general where this is unravelling.

Debt around the world still looks perilous and property markets over heated but with evidence of weakening real estate in various economies. So I wouldn’t invest in property other than for a home right now. 

Which leaves me to mull crypto currencies. Well!

On 07/04/2018 at 22:32, StivePesley said:

Quite tempted to buy a wee bit of Ethereum and Ripple cryptocurrencies on the off chance that they have massive spikes like bitcoin did

I'm too big a wuss to go in big though..

Really hope you stayed a wuss. That the G20 decided to take action to regulate crypto currencies really shouldn’t be any surprise; they are an easy target in that trying to launch alternative currency was never likely to go unchallenged. The surprise was that it was China leading the way. Just another ponzi version of fiat for me too. Good luck to early winners but I just didn’t have the faith and still glad I don’t.

Some small musings, maybe Silly Billy will chirp up again, but open to anyone for thoughts on this/ next year.

23 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Really hope you stayed a wuss.

I did stay a wuss yes! Set up an account but didn't make any purchases. Very glad I didn't. Although now it's all cooled off a bit I'm tempted to just buy a small amount of everything for future speculation. To be honest I've still never even come close to seeing any crypto currency in real life action, so I figure that once it actually becomes a real thing for the likes of us ordinary folks it will rise in value, but yeah for now its just a concept that has caused a few bubbles

More bothered that my shares tanked from 12k USD to 10k USD over the course of a week before Xmas. ?

Archived