Live Game Thread 15/16

sage

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Arsenal had the best chances prior to the goals, harsh being 2 down IMO. Blown it here, Barca don't look that amazing to me.

17 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Arsenal had the best chances prior to the goals, harsh being 2 down IMO. Blown it here, Barca don't look that amazing to me.

I'm sorry but saying that Barca dont look amazing makes you lose all credibility when talking about football. Barca were playing in 2nd gear all game and could have won by 4 or 5 if they really wanted to. It's utterly embarrassing that arsenal are competing for the prem title and shows how weak the premier league is. Las palmas at the weekend gave barca a tougher game than arsenal and they actually attacked a lot. The amount of space that arsenal gave busquets was shocking. He ran the complete game.

6 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I'm sorry but saying that Barca dont look amazing makes you lose all credibility when talking about football. Barca were playing in 2nd gear all game and could have won by 4 or 5 if they really wanted to. It's utterly embarrassing that arsenal are competing for the prem title and shows how weak the premier league is. Las palmas at the weekend gave barca a tougher game than arsenal and they actually attacked a lot. The amount of space that arsenal gave busquets was shocking. He ran the complete game.

If Arsenal could finish their chances it might have been a different night and it was hardly a vintage Barca performance as there first goal came against the run of play and the second was created by 2 mistakes by Mertesacker and Flamini. 

2 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

If Arsenal could finish their chances it might have been a different night and it was hardly a vintage Barca performance as there first goal came against the run of play and the second was created by 2 mistakes by Mertesacker and Flamini. 

Suarez and Neymar also missed sitters. The barca fans on their forum are laughing at how Arsenal played. The bottom teams in La Liga have given Barca harder games this season. Barca saved the rest of their energy for the sevilla game because pretty much all this season barca have played a game every 3 days 

But you're right saul in one aspect. It wasnt a vintage barca performance. Arsenal however played to their maximum but still lost 2-0. Another stat that I saw retweeted by jamie carragher, all 6 la liga teams in europe have won their opening knockout games whilst no english teams have won a game. Also buries the myth that la liga is easy as the commentator suggested.

Just now, McLovin said:

Suarez and Neymar also missed sitters. The barca fans on their forum are laughing at how Arsenal played. The bottom teams in La Liga have given Barca harder games this season. Barca saved the rest of their energy for the sevilla game because pretty much all this season barca have played a game every 3 days 

When you have the 3 best players in the world its hardly surprising that they beat an Arsenal side and plus I don't really care about Barca fans opinions as they seem to be one of the most arrogant on the planet spouting all this "mes que un club" bolIocks. 

You bring up the Las Palmas game as how the La Liga teams put up a better fight then Arsenal, but forget that Barca were actually pretty bad in that game and you even bring up the fact they were "saving their energy" so it is hardly a good example of lower La Liga team giving them a harder time. 

It was a pretty boring game, but to say that Barca dominated is stupid as Arsenal had plenty of chances that on another night they would have finished and the fact that Barca have 3 of the worlds best means that they can get their goals out of nothing as it was hardly a vintage Barca performance. 

1 minute ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

When you have the 3 best players in the world its hardly surprising that they beat an Arsenal side and plus I don't really care about Barca fans opinions as they seem to be one of the most arrogant on the planet spouting all this "mes que un club" bolIocks. 

You bring up the Las Palmas game as how the La Liga teams put up a better fight then Arsenal, but forget that Barca were actually pretty bad in that game and you even bring up the fact they were "saving their energy" so it is hardly a good example of lower La Liga team giving them a harder time. 

It was a pretty boring game, but to say that Barca dominated is stupid as Arsenal had plenty of chances that on another night they would have finished and the fact that Barca have 3 of the worlds best means that they can get their goals out of nothing as it was hardly a vintage Barca performance. 

I said saving their energy for the Sevilla game to whom they lost to earlier this season. I didn't say that barca dominated but it was comfortable for them and anyone who has watched barca play this season would know that barca didn't even get out of second gear tonight. Barca have struggled to pretty much every lower relegation la liga side away this season. They showed the way to beat barca is by executing a high press by pressing Sergio Busquets. Giving busquets all the time in the world is the most stupid idea.

People laugh at the idea of Leicester in the Champions League, but I reckon they'd have tested Barcelona more than Arsenal tonight. 

Pack the middle, force Barcelona out wide, and look to hit them with the long ball on the break. Might not be pretty, but maybe the solution to super football is anti-football!

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

Barcelona didn't look amazing, Arsenal let them off the hook in both missing chances and deciding to have a nap twice. It's not embarrassing that Arsenal are competing for the title if Barcelona are so tommy tank worthy as you say they are, stop contradicting yourself. Spent so much cash they embargoed themselves and have the supposed best players in the world.

46 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

People laugh at the idea of Leicester in the Champions League, but I reckon they'd have tested Barcelona more than Arsenal tonight. 

Pack the middle, force Barcelona out wide, and look to hit them with the long ball on the break. Might not be pretty, but maybe the solution to super football is anti-football!

Leicester would have been utterly thrashed.

Those saying 2-0 flattered Barcelona are off their rocket.

Barcelona let Arsenal off the hook. They missed an absolute hatful, with Suarez missing two sitters, Neymar a one vs one and a free header from five yards out that I'd expect even Chris Martin on a bad day would score.

Arsenal had one great chance via Oxlade-Chamberlain and a couple of half chances, with one of those being Giroud's header which was a blatant foul on Mascherano by climbing all over him.

Barcelona's goals weren't anyhting special, but the way they controlled the game and created numerous chances against one of the Premier League's best in their own back yard deserves respect.

I think this Barca team is their best ever. Guardiola had them playing a better brand of passing and moving, but this team is more solid and versatile. It can go direct, it can counter.

The way they regularly now get the better of Atletico Madrid shows how they can adapt to that sort of opponent.

8 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

Barcelona didn't look amazing, Arsenal let them off the hook in both missing chances and deciding to have a nap twice. It's not embarrassing that Arsenal are competing for the title if Barcelona are so tommy tank worthy as you say they are, stop contradicting yourself. Spent so much cash they embargoed themselves and have the supposed best players in the world.

You mention that barca have spent so much money but the total cost of arsenal's squad in comparison to Barca's was very close. 

10 hours ago, McLovin said:

So you're suggesting that Barcelona just didn't feel like scoring a couple more to make it interesting? Oookkaaayyy.......

1 hour ago, BurtonRam7 said:

So you're suggesting that Barcelona just didn't feel like scoring a couple more to make it interesting? Oookkaaayyy.......

No because they have a hugely important game at the weekend against Sevilla and had a really tough game away to Las Palmas at the weekend so conserved energy rather than waste it pointlessly in search of scoring more and potentially the risk of more injuries. If anyone thinks that Barca were playing in any more than 2nd gear then they obviously haven't been watching Barca the last few years under Luis Enrique.Barca have had pretty much a game every 3 days since the start of the season. That's what makes Luis Enrique so great because he knows when it is appropriate to conserve the energy of the players. The tie is over either way. Wenger knows it, the arsenal team know it and everyone associated with Barca knows it.I wouldn't be surprised to see a "b" team put out by wenger at the camp nou to keep his team refreshed for the league campaign because he knows they have no chance.

7 hours ago, McLovin said:

No because they have a hugely important game at the weekend against Sevilla and had a really tough game away to Las Palmas at the weekend so conserved energy rather than waste it pointlessly in search of scoring more and potentially the risk of more injuries. If anyone thinks that Barca were playing in any more than 2nd gear then they obviously haven't been watching Barca the last few years under Luis Enrique.Barca have had pretty much a game every 3 days since the start of the season. That's what makes Luis Enrique so great because he knows when it is appropriate to conserve the energy of the players. The tie is over either way. Wenger knows it, the arsenal team know it and everyone associated with Barca knows it.I wouldn't be surprised to see a "b" team put out by wenger at the camp nou to keep his team refreshed for the league campaign because he knows they have no chance.

Glad you aren't our manager, a goal early on for Arsenal and the game is very much up for grabs. In fact if it is 0-0 at 80 mins I still wouldn't say Arsenal were out of it.

Goals change games. Arsenal with their noses in-front would have had something to really hold on to, and that could have made things much tougher for Barcelona.

I thought Wenger's tactics were spot on. The best they could have hoped for was to sit back, stiffle Barcelona's front three and really hit them on the counter with speed and precision. 

I just felt they lacked quality, and Barca's ability in the end came through. 

Arsenal could have played that game ten times over and still lost seven or eight times. Ozil aside, the difference in quality between the two teams was pretty obvious to see. 

Barca, when on form, are from another planet altogether. They're pretty much unstoppable.

5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Goals change games. Arsenal with their noses in-front would have had something to really hold on to, and that could have made things much tougher for Barcelona.

I thought Wenger's tactics were spot on. The best they could have hoped for was to sit back, stiffle Barcelona's front three and really hit them on the counter with speed and precision. 

I just felt they lacked quality, and Barca's ability in the end came through. 

Arsenal could have played that game ten times over and still lost seven or eight times. Ozil aside, the difference in quality between the two teams was pretty obvious to see. 

Barca, when on form, are from another planet altogether. They're pretty much unstoppable.

Disagree with you there Bris. The teams that have been successful against Barca this season pressed really high up to nulify Busquets. Earlier this season Celta executed this perfectly and resulted in Busquets having to be taken off as did Sevilla. Sevilla made Krychowiak and Iborra press the barca midfield like maniacs. Sitting back against Barca allows the likes of Busquets to get a feel for the game and dictate the pace of it. 

Archived