Live Game Thread 15/16

sage

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Games like this just highlight how wrong our youth development is in this country, one of the supposed best academies in the country and how poor do they look? U21 football is lacking in real competition. Young players barely get game time at a decent standard. Ojo looks like the best player for Liverpool, actually had some game time at a decent level. Enrique doesn't even have any mud on him and he's playing in white.

Feel bad for Klopp though, Liverpool really do have some dross there.

They do look bad but I'm sure it's not a very good idea to play them all at once.

14 minutes ago, Srg said:

Can someone please put Danny Murphy down. I'm not bothered if it's rohypnol or a gun shot wound the head, just remove him from my air waves please. 

Are you having a bad day, Srg?

Football is a fanny old game.

I've always believed that a well drilled team with fairly average players can beat a team of talented players who are not used to playing together.

Its a team game, its not like Tennis or Golf where the individual talent should be enough to win. The team dynamic is absolutely crucial, the way players understand the tactics and the way the players around them will respond to given situations is more important than we often give credit for.

The best example I can think of is Georgie Kinkladze. He is the most naturally talented player I've ever seen in a Derby shirt yet I wouldn't put him in the top 30 players for DCFC.

Darryl Powell made a greater contribution to us than Georgie.

The best football I've seen at Derby since the Jim Smith/Eranio/Baiano years had John Eustace and Jake Buxton as the kingpins of the team.

When Barcelona are at their best its because they have extremely talented players playing as a team. Sometimes Manchester City look poor yet individually their players are as good as you can get anywhere in the world.

When managers make wholesale changes to the team, it doesn't matter how good the individuals are who he brings in if the team does not gel. The Liverpool team tonight were poor not because the players were bad but because the team didn't suit each other. 

1 hour ago, uttoxram75 said:

Football is a fanny old game.

I've always believed that a well drilled team with fairly average players can beat a team of talented players who are not used to playing together.

Its a team game, its not like Tennis or Golf where the individual talent should be enough to win. The team dynamic is absolutely crucial, the way players understand the tactics and the way the players around them will respond to given situations is more important than we often give credit for.

The best example I can think of is Georgie Kinkladze. He is the most naturally talented player I've ever seen in a Derby shirt yet I wouldn't put him in the top 30 players for DCFC.

Darryl Powell made a greater contribution to us than Georgie.

The best football I've seen at Derby since the Jim Smith/Eranio/Baiano years had John Eustace and Jake Buxton as the kingpins of the team.

When Barcelona are at their best its because they have extremely talented players playing as a team. Sometimes Manchester City look poor yet individually their players are as good as you can get anywhere in the world.

When managers make wholesale changes to the team, it doesn't matter how good the individuals are who he brings in if the team does not gel. The Liverpool team tonight were poor not because the players were bad but because the team didn't suit each other. 

Amen. 

First a team needs an identity and a system. Then you bring in the best players to fit that rather than just the best players.

As a player you spend the majority of the match without the ball. So you kinda need to know the when and where. Which is hard when you don't know the when and where of the bloke next to you. 

That's why I had a bet on Exeter. Just enough individual quality from Liverpool tonight to deny them the win. 

7 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

Games like this just highlight how wrong our youth development is in this country, one of the supposed best academies in the country and how poor do they look? U21 football is lacking in real competition. Young players barely get game time at a decent standard. Ojo looks like the best player for Liverpool, actually had some game time at a decent level. Enrique doesn't even have any mud on him and he's playing in white.

Feel bad for Klopp though, Liverpool really do have some dross there.

Not a lot they can do though. They've proposed making B teams, but the football league won't have it.

English football is unique like that, and it does our national team no service at all. English football is the most diverse in the world. Go to Spain it's all possession, go to Germany it's ferocious, go to Italy and it's tactical.

English footbal has everything, all mixed into one due to 70% of the PL being made of up foreign players. As such, there is absolutely no identity to English football - no set way of playing.

Therefore, big teams are less likely to send their younger talent out on loan. Why would Liverpool send a player to Blackburn for instance? They'll play hoofball and learn percenage game whereas Liverpool play a different style.

Defenders and goalkeepers you can get away with sending them out, but not attacking players.

Barcelona's youth players play in the B team, who play exactly the same same type of football as the senior team. Moreover, Barca's B team is playing against decent teams who all play a possession game.

English youth football will always suffer as a result of the Premier League. There are too many foreign stars. That said, take the foreign stars out and you take away everything that is good about the PL - iCatch22.

And the thing is, the PL's best teams are getting worse, making it a more exciting league for the neutral but again hindering the national team and the chances for youngsters to develop.

Just now, TheDeadlySaul said:

This Villa squad is better and the league was ridiculously strong in 07/08 compared to now. 

More the way they play. So disjointed. 

Coutts, Sammon, Brayford, McEveley.... if Clough had stayed there another year, he could have 'got the old band together', so to speak.

Archived