Derby County v Middlesbrough

Mafiabob

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think the team picks itself for this one.

Carson, Baird, Keogh, Shackell, Forsyth, Thorne, Hanson, Hendrick, Ince, Weimann, Martin

Subs: Grant, Christie, Shotton, Dawkins, Russell, Bent, Ssewankambo

This. I think it's very interesting (but altogether a good thing) that a squad touted as having so much depth has a self-picking XI after 2 league games lol

Still, injuries I suppose.

I'm picking my side and formation based on the ratings over 2 games.

Carson

Baird                   Keogh                  Shackell             Forsyth

Thorne

Hendrick                         Hanson

Ince                                                                     Russell

Martin

I've used my eyes and for all it's limitations brain to swap Hendrick and Hanson over. It would make sense to me have Hanson who plays deeper than Hendrick to play on the same side as Forsyth.

If this is the line-up on the day, then I would be quietly optimistic for a draw.

No one going for Pearce on the bench even? When will he get another chance I wonder?

I'd only have two defenders and would put one of the U21 midfielders there just in case we had another couple of injuries as our current options are to switch Baird in or bring in Dawkins. I'd have thought Bunjaku was the most "Hughes-like" if we want high technical ability.

Whatever the result I won't be concerned. Unless it's a Boro win by 4 or more goals which would shatter confidence. As Mourinho said last night, if you're 5 points behind with 5 games to go, that's a problem. But with 36 (or in our case 43) games to go, long way to go.

I'd go for the following line-up: 

Carson

Baird                   Keogh                  Shackell             Forsyth

Thorne

Dawkins                   Hanson

Ince                                                                     Weimann

Martin

Bench of Grant, Christie, Pearce, Hendrick, Ssewankambo, Russell, Bent

Dawkins comes in for Hendrick because I think it's important that we keep the ball. Boro will try to press us and Dawkins is good at playing the simple pass, keeping the ball on the ground. Plus he's better defensively than Hendrick. Weimann gives us a little more cutting edge than Russell - in a tight game, I'd fancy him to take a chance better than JR. 

Given that we're playing at home against one of our promotion rivals, I think a draw should be the expectation, although I won't be too bothered by a 1 or 2 goal defeat, so long as we continue to gel as a unit and don't make any catastrophic mistakes in defence.

Will obviously be a tough game, but it should be tougher for them than back in March. Will need to keep Fabrrini quiet, and Nugent if he plays, who is to us what Martin is to Brighton. Would be pleased with a draw, but if we lose we're hardly going to be out of the promotion race. Definitely won't win the League in August though. 

not sure if that's a compliment or a criticism.  

Definitely a compliment. It is a strong looking line up and utilizes players who are in form in the right areas.

I still feel we are extremely weak in the left back area of the pitch and I am not 100% on Hendrick albeit we have no further cover for Hughes or Bryson.

Archived