Hughes replacement

ColchesterRam

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, Dawks was amazing in the centre last year, I believe we have enough in Midfield without replacing him. Mostyn this must be the first time I have ever agreed with you but good post mate...

How can you say he was amazing last year in the middle? He only played about 45 minutes of football there in the middle! However, I don't disagree that I think he is better in the middle.

The difference between last year and this year is that the players that are coming in are generally of a much better quality. Omar wasn't a risk financially, because bar maybe a loan fee and wages (I bet he wasn't on more than £5k), what are you really losing out on? This year the board are investing significant amounts, so any new player who could come in would more than likely be a significant investment and thus his contribution would be immediate.

If we go with the diamond, I don't fancy Dawkins in the middle two spots (The Bryson, Hughes, Hendrick positions). I don't think he works hard enough of the ball, and we'd end up carrying him defensively. Hendrick and Bryson will put themselves about, Hughes individual quality is means he dictates the tempo of games and finds space, but I'm not sure Dawkins would be at the same level (yet).

So, if we are prepared as a club to invest a significant sum in a central midfielder, then I'd really like us to do it. If player availability dictates we go to 4-2-3-1, then I don't think it is as important although the very fact Baird has gone RB, suggests that Clement doesn't rate his other options there as highly.

How can you say he was amazing last year in the middle? He only played about 45 minutes of football there in the middle! However, I don't disagree that I think he is better in the middle.

The difference between last year and this year is that the players that are coming in are generally of a much better quality. Omar wasn't a risk financially, because bar maybe a loan fee and wages (I bet he wasn't on more than £5k), what are you really losing out on? This year the board are investing significant amounts, so any new player who could come in would more than likely be a significant investment and thus his contribution would be immediate.

If we go with the diamond, I don't fancy Dawkins in the middle two spots (The Bryson, Hughes, Hendrick positions). I don't think he works hard enough of the ball, and we'd end up carrying him defensively. Hendrick and Bryson will put themselves about, Hughes individual quality is means he dictates the tempo of games and finds space, but I'm not sure Dawkins would be at the same level (yet).

So, if we are prepared as a club to invest a significant sum in a central midfielder, then I'd really like us to do it. If player availability dictates we go to 4-2-3-1, then I don't think it is as important although the very fact Baird has gone RB, suggests that Clement doesn't rate his other options there as highly.

Dawkins played in the centre against Blackpool and Huddersfield and won MOTM in both of those games, he also played centrally for Jamaica and in his loan spell at San Jose Earthquakes.

I honestly don't think we have enough quality in this team. Hendrick, Bryson, Dawkins, Baird and Hanson cannot dictate play and carve teams open without Will in the squad.

I think you're being a smidge OTT/wrist-slashy

I agree that hughes is a BIG loss... Our best midfielder by a mile... But I'd argue that Ince is a game-changer... and the combo of forwards we have is potent... I'd say that the biggest difference when we brought Smacca in was that he seemed to help them work better as a team up top to break defences... under Nigel it was all still a bit reliant on individual moments of brilliance

Just to be clear:

"The window is open, I think we were already one short in midfield. We are looking, but won't press the panic button," said head coach Paul Clement.

Read more: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-Rams-expected-dip-transfer-market/story-27585852-detail/story.html#ixzz3iVZt6DbG 
Follow us: @DerbyTelegraph on Twitter | derbytelegraph on Facebook

seems odd that the club would "confirm" a length of an injury before it was confirmed 

not really. Medical staff talking to each other "looks pretty bad maybe a long one 9-12 months" I don't know who Macworthram is or his source but it could be that someone overheard a conversation.

what I do know is MR is pretty reliable as far as info he gets from his source. Its pretty poor to have a little dig when the info he gives is slightly out especially when there's a reasonable chance that would change from when he heard it from his source.

So are we looking for two midfielders then as Clement is being quoted as saying  "we were already one short in midfield..."

I doubt it, I think it's just stepped up the search for a midfielder in terms of importance. I don't think we're looking for a loan. 

not really. Medical staff talking to each other "looks pretty bad maybe a long one 9-12 months" I don't know who Macworthram is or his source but it could be that someone overheard a conversation.

what I do know is MR is pretty reliable as far as info he gets from his source. Its pretty poor to have a little dig when the info he gives is slightly out especially when there's a reasonable chance that would change from when he heard it from his source.

You say it's poor to have a pretty to have a dig, but I'd say it's even worse to speculate on an injury of a player. If it wasn't 100% confirmed then why say the season is over. This isn't a transfer, it's a bit more serious and sensitive. Not saying he was told wrong, or his source is unreliable, I'm saying that maybe it was the wrong time to post

Saintram, do you think the club will simply proceed with their transfer plans as per prior to the Hughes injury then and not look to cover it?

Not saying what you say is necessarily unlikely. Just asking?

I think it depends what type of midfielder they were looking into before. If the midfielders they're looking at are Hughes esque I don't think anything changes, if not then maybe it does.

Archived