Derby County players since 2008

Kernow

A comment made on here the other day regarding loan players, and how so far this season we've had none has made me think about how strong our squad currently is. I'm not getting ahead of myself, or over-confident, I just think we have a strong squad. For the past couple of years our squad has been strong but has also been heavily reliant on loan players. Wisdom, Bamford, Ince, Thorne, Bent, Ibe and so on. All have had great impacts at our club but all, at least at the time of joining, belonged to other clubs.

Thinking about some of the players to play for us in our current spell in this division is remarkable, in a bad way. With no extensive research I'm going to produce a list below of the players to have played for us since 2008. Permanent players who regularly featured are included (e.g players who didn't make the odd appearance from the youth team), loan and fringe players aren't going to be. My point is, upon inspecting the list of players, would anybody exchange a current player for one we've previously had? Obviously based on their quality level whilst playing for us. Could it be that the strongest bunch of players we've owned, not loaned, are all currently at our club?

Like I said if I've missed anybody, feel free to add them, I'm basing this list on quick glances of the squad lists for each season. Bold signifies players currently at the club.

Goalkeepers

Roy Carroll, Stephen Bywater, Saul Deeney, Frank Fielding, Adam Legzdins, Lee Grant, Scott Carson

Defenders

Paul Connolly, Jay McEveley, Jordan Stewart, Tyrone Mears, Dean Leacock, Lewin Nyatanga, Claude Davis, Andy Todd, Miles Addison, Martin Albrechtsen, Shaun Barker, Jake Buxton, Dean Moxey, Mark O'Brien, Russell Anderson, John Brayford, Gareth Roberts, Jason Shackell, Tom Naylor, Kieron Freeman, Richard Keogh, Zak Whitbread, James O'Connor, Craig Forsyth, Cyrus Christie, Ryan Shotton, Raul Albentosa, Stephen Warnock, Chris Baird, Alex Pearce

Midfielders

Paul Green, Kris Commons, Robbie Savage, Mile Sterjovski, Gary Teale, Stephen Pearson, Lee Croft, Lee Hendrie, Tomas Cywka, Dave Martin, James Bailey, Ben Davies, Jeff HendrickCraig BrysonWill Hughes, Michael Jacobs, Ben Davies, John Eustace, George ThorneSimon Dawkins

Strikers

Tito Villa, Rob Hulse, Luke Varney, Steve Davies, Chris Porter, Callum Ball, Theo Robinson, Jamie Ward, Conor Doyle, Nathan Tyson, Chris Maguire, Mason Bennett, Chris MartinConor Sammon, Tom Ince, Darren Bent, Andi Weimann

Pretty sure that's most of them.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens

Be a shout for Brayford maybe, commons and cywka if they could replicate the form they did for that so many games or so when we got upto 4th....Steve davies on form would have a shout at the squad maybe...but oher than that no i dont think so

oh and claude davis of course :)

Be a shout for Brayford maybe, commons and cywka if they could replicate the form they did for that so many games or so when we got upto 4th....Steve davies on form would have a shout at the squad maybe...but oher than that no i dont think so

oh and claude davis of course :)

Cywka would be nowhere near it. Even Lupoli would be closer. 

Giles Barnes pre ego/injury would get there. 

Cywka would be nowhere near it. Even Lupoli would be closer. 

Giles Barnes pre ego/injury would get there. 

Wasn't sure whether to include Barnes, he'd get in to our squad based on his ability whilst he was with us, but I wasn't sure he could be included as a 2008 onwards player. On his current ability it's debatable whether he'd get in or not.

From the list I'd probably add Brayford at the expense of any right back bar Baird, if players we own but are out on loan e.g Sammon are included, then probably Hulse for Sammon as he'd be a much better Chris Martin back-up. A fully fit Barker swapped for Shotton/Albentosa and then I'd say we're pretty much there.

Wasn't sure whether to include Barnes, he'd get in to our squad based on his ability whilst he was with us, but I wasn't sure he could be included as a 2008 onwards player. On his current ability it's debatable whether he'd get in or not.

From the list I'd probably add Brayford at the expense of any right back bar Baird, if players we own but are out on loan e.g Sammon are included, then probably Hulse for Sammon as he'd be a much better Chris Martin back-up. A fully fit Barker swapped for Shotton/Albentosa and then I'd say we're pretty much there.

no he doesn't probably class as 2008 onwards. My post was more directed at "post millennium" from Duracell

no he doesn't probably class as 2008 onwards. My post was more directed at "post millennium" from Duracell

Fair enough. That would be an entirely different matter, couldn't be arsed trawling through another 5/6 years of squads. Players like Idiakez, Rasiak, Oakley etc would probably make for a much bigger decision of who to keep/discard.

If I were forced to pick a best XI over this time, it'd go:

Grant

Brayford     Barker (c)   Shackell    Forsyth

Thorne

Bryson               Hughes

Ince                                                      Commons

Martin

Fielding

Keogh

Eustace

Hendrick

Dawkins

Ward

Russell

Excluding players who haven't played for us yet. 

Carroll

Freeman  Naylor      Davis  Roberts

Croft   Sterjovski   Martin Hendrie

Doyle   Sammon

Now that's what you call relegation candidates.

Roberts was actually quite good for us. If I were going for our worst XI in that time I'd actually go for:

Deeney

Connolly    Nyatanga        Davis       Stewart

Hendrie     Pearson

Croft                                                             Martin

Varney            Doyle

Feels a bit harsh on Deeney and Nyatanga, but at least the other defenders had their moments. 

Pearson was a proper engine though, nowhere near our worst CM in this time imo. I loved the lanky ginger. Really forced the counterattacks through. I don't think it's harsh on Deeney, but Nyatanga always did alright in my opinion. Was never anything better than average but you can't forget since 2008, until McClaren turned up we were bang average at best, and we weren't at our best much.

Midfielders

Paul Green, Kris Commons, Robbie Savage, Mile Sterjovski, Gary Teale, Stephen Pearson, Lee Croft, Lee Hendrie, Tomas Cywka, Dave Martin, James Bailey, Ben Davies, Jeff HendrickCraig BrysonWill Hughes, Michael Jacobs, Ben Davies, John Eustace, George ThorneSimon Dawkins

You have Ben Davies twice and have omitted Boris Johnson.

Pearson was a proper engine though, nowhere near our worst CM in this time imo. I loved the lanky ginger. Really forced the counterattacks through. I don't think it's harsh on Deeney, but Nyatanga always did alright in my opinion. Was never anything better than average but you can't forget since 2008, until McClaren turned up we were bang average at best, and we weren't at our best much.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, WHOA! 

Take back everything you said about Stephen Pearson. I cried every time I saw his name on the team sheet. 

Can't pass, tackle, head, shoot or mark. My dog could do what he did for Derby. Including running into the ball after some excellent work from Howard and Barnes. If the useless tosspot had missed he'd have saved us that horrible season. If he'd actually had a shot he would have missed but he just kept on running because that's all he's good at.

I feel very strongly about this and if you disagree with me i'll either

a) challenge you to a duel (if you're small and frail)

or 

b) Edit one if your posts somewhere to make it a racist, homophobic, sexist comment and then report it to Daveo

Oh my lord we have had some tripe! Best 11

Bywater

Brayford    shackell      bucko     fozzy

Thorne      bryson

Ince        hughes       barnes

Martin

Worst 11

Carroll

Connolly      davis       todd      stewart

Hendrie       sterjovski

Croft           doyle           teale

Sammon

Whoa, whoa, whoa, WHOA! 

Take back everything you said about Stephen Pearson. I cried every time I saw his name on the team sheet. 

Can't pass, tackle, head, shoot or mark. My dog could do what he did for Derby. Including running into the ball after some excellent work from Howard and Barnes. If the useless tosspot had missed he'd have saved us that horrible season. If he'd actually had a shot he would have missed but he just kept on running because that's all he's good at.

I feel very strongly about this and if you disagree with me i'll either

a) challenge you to a duel (if you're small and frail)

or 

b) Edit one if your posts somewhere to make it a racist, homophobic, sexist comment and then report it to Daveo

I don't feel strongly enough. I was young (15ish) when he was playing and I can't remember anything bad to be honest lol

If I did feel strongly about it, I would just tell you I'm small and frail :lol:

Archived