Full-backs

Hi all,

I'm sorry if this topic has already been touched on, I'm fairly new to the forum and wanted to get my first topic under my belt.

Anyway I wanted to get your thoughts on the current Full-back situation. Do you think we are strong enough in that department. Are you happy with the current crop of full-backs and which area would you say needs more attention. Oh.. and who would you like to see come in or go out??

Cheers

ColchesterRam 

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im happy with the full-backs, if we were to sign one i would like to see a defensive minded RB (wisdom), but i'm happy if we dont, christie has shown he was more than good enough at the first part of the season, better than shotton and younger, then he just went to cuckoo land but there's enough there for a top player, forsyth is great when on form, maruading full back going forward and unbeatable defensively, only thing he struggles on a bit is distribution, mainly passing as his crossing is deadly, but that's easily coachable, especially by someone's pedigree of clement, plus, there really isnt that many good LB's out there

Happy with the full back and just need to get their confidence back that's all. COYR 

itl be interesting to see how Christie comes on under a new head coach. I thought he was outstanding the start off last season but unfortunately he wasn't half that player come the end. 

I wouldn't mind a top quality RB coming and then letting Christie and him battle it out for a first team spot. Don't rate Shotton at RB and would be very worried if Christie sustained a serious injury...

LB, Forsyth and Warnock are both very decent at this level.

I wouldn't mind a top quality RB coming and then letting Christie and him battle it out for a first team spot. Don't rate Shotton at RB and would be very worried if Christie sustained a serious injury...

LB, Forsyth and Warnock are both very decent at this level.

I agree, a top quality RB would be ideal. Preferably someone with experience whether it be Prem or Championship level. A player that Christie could learn a lot from. 

Forsyth and Christie have a lot of potential. I think there comes a point where you can keep buying new players and working with what you have. 

We know what Forsyth can do, we know what he needs to stop doing and it shouldn't be hard to put him on the right track. Christie is a little bit harder because he suffers with huge confidence issues. I don't exactly think he knows his own weaknesses either. Even so, we've seen both players have long spells of very good play. It's not like both haven't performed. 

Shotton and Warnock on the other hand, I don't think have a future here. 

Forsyth and Christie have a lot of potential. I think there comes a point where you can keep buying new players and working with what you have. 

We know what Forsyth can do, we know what he needs to stop doing and it shouldn't be hard to put him on the right track. Christie is a little bit harder because he suffers with huge confidence issues. I don't exactly think he knows his own weaknesses either. Even so, we've seen both players have long spells of very good play. It's not like both haven't performed. 

Shotton and Warnock on the other hand, I don't think have a future here. 

So in your opinion do we perhaps find straight replacements for Shotton/Warnock or maybe buy better than we already have?

Or on the other hand there's always the option of blooding some youngsters or maybe a couple of prem loans.

Forsyth - Won't find a better defender at left back. Passing ranges between brilliant and Sunday pub league division 4. When he's on it you get balls fired 20-30yrds into Martin's feet and deadly keeper teasing crosses. When he's off it then you get 20-300yrds into Martin's car and keeper teasing crosses. Our keeper. Happy

Warnock - Better than Forsyth on the ball on a Fozzy bad day. Worse on a Fozzy good day. Not a patch on him defending. No shame in that though. Not arsed

Christie - "Hey I see a pass?  Wonder if a better one will come along? Let me see... Nothing yet. Nope. No, I think I'll go back for the first option.... oops" Needs to sort that or I'd be pleased to see him go if it carries on. Early impressions was that's he's a gem.

Shotton - Not arsed. At Norwich away he made me think Christie was awesome. Prefer him at CB. 

Hope for a RB but think LB is ok.

I rate Christie, as mentioned before he was fantastic the first half of the season. Then one or two mistakes and Keogh was in his ear for the rest of the season and the fans in the ground could be heard getting pissed off. His confidence was shot and he was questioning his decisions, and that's not what you want from a young player at his age.

So in your opinion do we perhaps find straight replacements for Shotton/Warnock or maybe buy better than we already have?

Or on the other hand there's always the option of blooding some youngsters or maybe a couple of prem loans.

Whoever stays will get a chance. Warnock was doing well at Leeds and Shotton has forged a Premier League career out of Stoke. I would always be trying to better the squad, within reason. There's a better player out there for us in every single position, but finding it and affording it is another question. 

Ssewankambo will be 19 this year, I think, so he will have step up or step out. Lowe is still a bit too young, with a good season at u21 level then who knows. He may get a chance. 

I rate Christie, as mentioned before he was fantastic the first half of the season. Then one or two mistakes and Keogh was in his ear for the rest of the season and the fans in the ground could be heard getting pissed off. His confidence was shot and he was questioning his decisions, and that's not what you want from a young player at his age.

The promising thing is there was no sign of him second guessing himself when he first arrived was there?  If youre fault finding then it was his eagerness to abandon RB and then go all Glen Johnson and hope his pace and strength can get him back to do something in time. But you can't have him perfect at both ends. 

Just by the midle and end he was not so well protected on the flanks and such was pulled all over the place and his passing... Was it Watford where he fell asleep and lost the ball. Ran back, took the ball again and fell asleep again!!! Summed him up. 

Think Jeff Hendrick put in one of the better RB performances of the late season!!!

Chris Baird can also play anywhere across the back-line and has played RB a lot.

For me we definitely missed Andre Wisdom. It's about getting the balance right between attack and defence. Forsyth could charge forward because Wisdom held back. When you get both FBs charging forward and we lose possession the CBs are left exposed, particularly with no Thorne or Eustace to protect them.

Christie, Shotton and (surprisingly given his track record) Warnock have a lot to prove for me. Warnock might settle better with a full pre-season behind him and being here at the start of the season. Forsyth will be difficult to displace at LB unless Clement fancies him further forward in LM.

As wild cards, Max Lowe (LB) and Isak Ssewankbo (RB) could surprise everybody in pre-season and push themselves up the pecking order.

Problem with Christie, from what I saw was he only used to take it past the man up top and put a cross in. Once other teams had worked that out, they were stopping him from getting past, and he would panic. Didn't know how to take it inside.

But he has so much potential, hopefully a bit of focussed training and he will get back into form. 

I am very happy with the fullbacks we have,I believe Forsyth is one of the best left backs outside the top flight.And at right back we now have Baird,who will push Christie all the way,who I beleave will get better with age and experience,the player I do not rate at the moment is Shotton,but he might prove me wrong,and Warnock is good back up to Forsyth.

I am very happy with the fullbacks we have,I believe Forsyth is one of the best left backs outside the top flight.And at right back we now have Baird,who will push Christie all the way,who I beleave will get better with age and experience,the player I do not rate at the moment is Shotton,but he might prove me wrong,and Warnock is good back up to Forsyth.

Pretty much this. Christie just lacked the experience and confidence, needed an arm round him at times. New season and the general buzz around Derby at the moment I think we will see him with confidence come the start of the season, and hopefully kick off with some consistent performances! The added experience of Baird is sure to help.

Archived