True Detective

AmericanRam

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked the first season. It's main strength was the well written main characters and excellent acting performances. I thought the conclusion to the actual case was weak. I was also annoyed at the amount of sex scenes. I'm not a prude, but they add nothing. I'm quite capable of understanding that Woody Harrelson's character is an adulterer without seeing several girls with their tits out asking for it in the back door.

Saw it. I did enjoy him beating the **** out of his kid's bully's dad. I like the fact that you might be thinking: 'So what is true detective about, is it the characters? N,o changed those. Is it the setting? No, completely changed the setting. Is it the narrative structure (flashbacks)? Nope, completely changed that.' 

So apart from consistently strong actors, performances and stories, the only thing that ties it together with the first one is the exploration of imperfect people trying to solve a fairly dark case. It's good stuff. 

Not heard much of True Detective, but now Game of Thrones has finished I will give this a whirl (Hopefully get an episode in tonight!). Expecting anything like the wire?

Absolutely nothing like.

Can't watch the second series as I don't have Sky, but the first series was absolutely brilliant. Whether Vince Vaughn and Colin Farrell can match McConaughey and Harrelson is a big ask though.

Gives me chance to complete the Wire before it comes out on DVD at least.

Everyone without Sky (and those with really) should have their PC set up with SABnzbd, Sickbeard and Plex.

Create a list of shows you want to watch in Sickbeard, it willwill tell SABnzbd to grab the episode as soon as its available, gets downloaded and moved to its own directory which Plex then creates a library ready for streaming in home or even outside your home. 

I have my PS4 in the lounge that receives the streamed content and in the bedroom I have a NowTV box with Plex installed on it for the same thing (for £10 they are a fantastic bit of kit).

Can also add CouchPotato for movies and Headphones for music downloads. 

http://www.totalhtpc.com/ultimate-usenet-guide.html

Haven't started season 2 of TD yet currently watching through The Shield amongst other things. Wasn't a big fan of the first season of TD, didn't get the fuss and hype, mch better things on TV (or was, like Justified).

Season 1 was amazing in my opinion. Yet to start on s2 but hoping it's just as good.

I'm exactly the same. Am going to wait until the end of season 2 and watch them all in quick succession. During S1, it was killing me waiting for the final episodes.

• 3 weeks later...

That last shoot out was pretty cool though. Maybe not as good as the long tracking shot in the first series, but it certainly got my wife to sit up and take notice. It was just on in the background for her til then, then she got engrossed and can't wait til next week. 

Reminded me of the famous shoutout in Heat. 

• 5 weeks later...

Just watched all of it. What a waste of 8 and a half hours. 

Yeah was always going to be hard to be as good as first season and this season not even close.Didn't like the storyline,Vince Vaughan meh,etc.

First episode was I thought a solid opener too but the rest just mediocre.

First season was brilliant,shame this one was as drab as it was.

If they do make another season,hopefully be a bit better.Or heck bring back Woody and McConaughey for another season.

Yeah was always going to be hard to be as good as first season and this season not even close.Didn't like the storyline,Vince Vaughan meh,etc.

First episode was I thought a solid opener too but the rest just mediocre.

First season was brilliant,shame this one was as drab as it was.

If they do make another season,hopefully be a bit better.Or heck bring back Woody and McConaughey for another season.

I think the writer really struggled with developing the characters and also the female lead was abysmal. Instead of being constantly dragged into the dark bottomless void of the lead characters in the first season, these guys kind of flattened out after 3 episodes. The female cop that was sexually abused as a kid with a hero complex, the alcoholic "good cop" haunted be demons and the "fag" police officer that everyone loved. Even the gangster was "good" and had an annoying nagging wife.

There were so many unresolved dead end sub plots and dialogue for the sake of it that added nothing.

didn't like the continues cutouts of LA's spaghetti junctions every three minutes... Okay we all know LA is a busy place, but what are you trying to prove, same shot 6-7 times every episode.

What is annoying is that McConaughey is the executive producer on this.

I went with it until the major shoot out. But after that they ran out of ideas.

I think the writer really struggled with developing the characters and also the female lead was abysmal. Instead of being constantly dragged into the dark bottomless void of the lead characters in the first season, these guys kind of flattened out after 3 episodes. The female cop that was sexually abused as a kid with a hero complex, the alcoholic "good cop" haunted be demons and the "fag" police officer that everyone loved. Even the gangster was "good" and had an annoying nagging wife.

There were so many unresolved dead end sub plots and dialogue for the sake of it that added nothing.

didn't like the continues cutouts of LA's spaghetti junctions every three minutes... Okay we all know LA is a busy place, but what are you trying to prove, same shot 6-7 times every episode.

What is annoying is that McConaughey is the executive producer on this.

I went with it until the major shoot out. But after that they ran out of ideas.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, other people have NOT seen it

Archived