Gambling with our financial future

mcsilks

With our manager on a reported 2.7M a year, talk of Bent, Ince and Pearce coming in, and talk of money being available, just where does this leave the club financially?

So much work has been done in the past to secure the future of DCFC with careful work in the transfer market, it seems that the club have miraculously found a way of adding 7~8M a year at least into the clubs coffers.

I find it incredible that Watford can let a successful manager go for demanding a salary less than we are prepared to pay a man who is taking his first steps on the management ladder.

Talk of all of these players coming in concerns me as the last thing the club should be doing is gambling with our financial future. I can understand if it's one or two additions here or there but if the rhetoric from the board is to be believed, I'm not sure where this new found wealth is coming from and what is does for the sustainability of the football club.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With our manager on a reported 2.7M a year, talk of Bent, Ince and Pearce coming in, and talk of money being available, just where does this leave the club financially?

So much work has been done in the past to secure the future of DCFC with careful work in the transfer market, it seems that the club have miraculously found a way of adding 7~8M a year at least into the clubs coffers.

I find it incredible that Watford can let a successful manager go for demanding a salary less than we are prepared to pay a man who is taking his first steps on the management ladder.

Talk of all of these players coming in concerns me as the last thing the club should be doing is gambling with our financial future. I can understand if it's one or two additions here or there but if the rhetoric from the board is to be believed, I'm not sure where this new found wealth is coming from and what is does for the sustainability of the football club.

​Is it me or is Clembo's salary rising every day?

So you think the players that have left weren't paid? And Mclaren wasn't on a crap ton of money too? 

Yes, I think all of those players that left were paid 0 and McClaren worked for free.

Thank you for your input.

The Telegraph were one of the first papers to start reporting crazy sums we were supposedly going to be paying Clement and their latest article on him (Thursday) now say he's on 1.2 mil a year which seems a lot more realistic for a Championship manager. Either they've now got the correct information on how much he's being paid or they're just guessing and realised how stupid their first prediction was

We had Best in on loan on stupid wages last season. We're now using those wages on Bent (minus any loan fee we paid Blackburn)

Barker was on a decent amount of money, his wages are now being used on Pearce (supposedly)

Whitbread and co have gone and that's freed up some wages to be used elsewhere

According to SDSR (Pretty much the only ITK everyone trusts) has said he's been told McClaren's compensation wasn't even 7 figures and as soon as he gets a new job all payments to him stop

Add to all that the fact we had increased sales in tickets last season and that FFP is a lot less strict this season, meaning we can probably afford to spend a bit more than usual

I don't know all the nitty gritty details, but I'm confident that we're in a good financial position, especially compared to many of our competitors in the Championship.

According to Deloitte, our revenues increased about 30% last year to over 20 million pounds. Our owners have continued to convert losses to equity. And even when we go out and hire one of the most in-demand managers in the world, we're paying him a reasonable, not at all crazy salary of 1.2 million, according to latest reports. 

I'm confident that Sam Rush and the leadership know what they're doing and have both a financial AND footballing plan to get us into the Premier League to stay. 

If there is one thing that the owners and management have done well (there are lots) it is making the club financially secure. I trust the owners, Sam Rush and co. to spend what we actually have to spend this season, much like they have every season.

The worry is understandable, especially considering how many clubs are currently in financial troubles, under embargoes, being docked points etc. But we have a steady management team who seem to understand money. Mel said that the club wouldn't push the boat out too far to win promotion Now, and we probably won't need to. 

.....and I'd be surprised if we see Ince again.

Would be a shame, I think he would be the coup of the window. But I think Hull would be silly to sell him, he could be key for them next season. And if they do sell, he could have a number of admirers in the top tier (Geordies)

As long as it is the owners/investors funding these things, as appears the case, then there is no gambling with our financial future at all.

Must admit I do not particularly want to see us bank rolled to promotion as doing it the way we were doing it was much more satisfying.

As long as it is the owners/investors funding these things, as appears the case, then there is no gambling with our financial future at all.

Must admit I do not particularly want to see us bank rolled to promotion as doing it the way we were doing it was much more satisfying.

We weren't self sustaining before, and we also failed.

It seems we're now on plan B, throw loads of money at it.

Not that I'm complaining :)

​You shouldn't believe everything you read.

Except when it suits your argument of course, then it's compulsory to embellish it.

I trust ramblur is keeping is eye on the ball,   I read that moving from loses of 5-8- million to a estimated 10--20 million

is acceptable under phase 3.A two year premiership plan..Sam Rush and the board have sold this new agenda to Mel Morris and it seems he is glad to come on board..Phase 1 stability--Phase 2 next level--Phase 3 two year premiership plan.

In a poll 80 percent of fans happy with new investment and a new untried head coach in clements,in fact the new season

with all the hype and so many unknown ways it could go ,has got to be exciting .

Oh to be young,but us old heads we look for the pitfalls,for in this game theirs high and lows.

1 Manager plus  2 head coaches in.2 years is not stability and this concerns me,

But for so many the future is bright so hey ho away we go,and lets enjoy the new season

Trust me, operating a football club that loses £7m per year is not good....unless you have owners who will be prepared to spend £7m of their cash keeping us there. They did it and for that we are grateful....they presumably did it as they wanted us to get into Premier League.

now we have a very rich Chairman who is highly likely putting his own money into the club as well.

If I ever had 200,300 or 400m to spend I would put cash I to Derby County ...and I would want my cash spending on manager, team and facilities. If a fan was then "concerned" about my financial motives and my gambling with the clubs financial future and my ability to take the club forward despite knowing I had £200m to my name I would personally be bemused, confused and very disappointed.

when a club gets new chairman by all means convince yourself he actually has the right intentions, has the money available to invest. You, however seem to be saying even as money materialises and is spent on team and the manager you are concerned. 

Anyway, suppose we all have different worries and concerns.......yours frankly are be using to say the least. Hope you cope with seeing new players arrive, because boy do we need a stronger squad.

Archived