Brian Clough (Knighthood)

LesterRam

do you think we require a law change for people like Mr Clough (or god as he is known) to be able to be awarded our highest honour, to turn two provincial sides into the very top of their game ?

I know we have online petitions but what do you think we could do to make this happen ?

I know there maybe people on these boards or even in the wider community that think kicking a ball of wind around is not exactly changing the world but if Ferguson can be knighted for services to football surely Mr Clough should !!!

what are peoples thoughts on this matter ?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really understand the need for a knighthood.

My opinion is that he is already recognised as a club legend, the leader who took us to the top for the first time, and made us a name in this country. He is similarly looked upon this way by Forest fans, as well as good number of football fans in general. Why does he need a knighthood? If it's a comparison to others, because Sir Alex has one, then I'm sure other teams will queue up with other names equally deserving.

ahhh Wikipedia, the font of all knowledge !!!

do you think the people that set up Wikipedia are UKIP supporters ;)

​Don't be daft, that took intelligence - but many of the people who contribute to it probably are.

:lol:

In answer to the OP's question - no. It would be as silly as what the Mormons do now with respect to their 'retrospective baptisms' 

I don't really understand the need for a knighthood.

My opinion is that he is already recognised as a club legend, the leader who took us to the top for the first time, and made us a name in this country. He is similarly looked upon this way by Forest fans, as well as good number of football fans in general. Why does he need a knighthood? If it's a comparison to others, because Sir Alex has one, then I'm sure other teams will queue up with other names equally deserving.

​yes but I am very bitter about his, Ferguson had millions upon millions to poor into his team and people are still talking about Clough, I had a skype meeting last week with someone in Hampshire and the person had no real knowledge of football but knew Clough and knew what he did.

​yes but I am very bitter about his, Ferguson had millions upon millions to poor into his team and people are still talking about Clough, I had a skype meeting last week with someone in Hampshire and the person had no real knowledge of football but knew Clough and knew what he did.

​I appreciate that, and I agree with you. However, its a different era. Alex Ferguson did his in a different genreation of football, for a sustained period, taking a big club and making them massive, global. Would Brian have lasted for that long at the helm had he taken us top in the 90's or noughties? Who knows. I love the job he did, and its a key part of our history, not sure thats enough to give someone a knighthood, especially post-humously

​Isn't this all relative? I'm sure Clough broke the British transfer record on more than one occasion.

PistoldPete2

Knighthoods are two a Penny now, but there's plenty of dead people who you think wtf when you learn they haven't got one. John Lennon and george Harrison for example. It's only recently that Popular artists and sports stars have got the top awards , unless you win the World Cup like Alf Ramsey. 

I've always thought anyone with any self-respect would turn down one of these gongs. 

I wouldn't mind, though, if there was a mediaeval-style war of succession with Sir Elton John and Sir Paul McCartney charging towards the enemy in the name of prince Charles. 

I'd watch it. It would be the best thing on the telly. Better even than Gogglebox. 

Knighthoods are two a Penny now, but there's plenty of dead people who you think wtf when you learn they haven't got one. John Lennon and george Harrison for example. It's only recently that Popular artists and sports stars have got the top awards , unless you win the World Cup like Alf Ramsey. 

​Sir Alf to you!!! :-)

I have always thought my passage from council estate to finance would have been a easier one if I was knighted, I remember approaching some of the most influential managing directors in my market and asking if we could work together without no CV, no proven track record, one rang me up out of the blue (6 months after I sent a witty letter to him personally), he said could we meet and my first thoughts were I have a fifteen year old ford that was using more oil than petrol, he said he worked/ lived in Hampshire, I thought yeah no problems, borrowed money to travel down and broke down on the M1, about 3 miles from home lol, long story short within a space of 6 months I had 40% of his market share, now he comes to me :D

We laugh at about it, funny enough he was from a council estate and he used the same trick, as you could imagine I love this guy for his help, even he isn't knighted, he has been the big cheese at AXA and Allianz and given about £12m to charities in his time, David Beckham lol

still cannot understand why Clough wasn't worthy of a knighthood when he was alive.

I've always thought anyone with any self-respect would turn down one of these gongs. 

I wouldn't mind, though, if there was a mediaeval-style war of succession with Sir Elton John and Sir Paul McCartney charging towards the enemy in the name of prince Charles. 

I'd watch it. It would be the best thing on the telly. Better even than Gogglebox. 

​Pretty sure David Bowie has turned one down twice, which makes him even cooler!!! I maybe wrong but hes still cool!

I have always thought my passage from council estate to finance would have been a easier one if I was knighted, I remember approaching some of the most influential managing directors in my market and asking if we could work together without no CV, no proven track record, one rang me up out of the blue (6 months after I sent a witty letter to him personally), he said could we meet and my first thoughts were I have a fifteen year old ford that was using more oil than petrol, he said he worked/ lived in Hampshire, I thought yeah no problems, borrowed money to travel down and broke down on the M1, about 3 miles from home lol, long story short within a space of 6 months I had 40% of his market share, now he comes to me :D

We laugh at about it, funny enough he was from a council estate and he used the same trick, as you could imagine I love this guy for his help, even he isn't knighted, he has been the big cheese at AXA and Allianz and given about £12m to charities in his time, David Beckham lol

still cannot understand why Clough wasn't worthy of a knighthood when he was alive.

​the Royal family stands for everything Brian Clough hated/despised. All of the abuse etc.

Archived