Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread

South Ram

Any young winger brought in this season would have to out perform Ince, Weimann and a seemingly new and improved Russell, which would prove difficult. 

A new and improved Russell? Bloody hell mate, he has scored a nice free kick, and scored the winner against the mighty Northampton Town.  I suppose if he can bag another against some second rate Dutch team we might have a £5million player on our hands.  

Anyway, back to the real world.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A new and improved Russell? Bloody hell mate, he has scored a nice free kick, and scored the winner against the mighty Northampton Town.  I suppose if he can bag another against some second rate Dutch team we might have a £5million player on our hands.  

Anyway, back to the real world.

Nothing wrong with having a bit of faith in the lad

Nothing wrong with having a bit of faith in the lad

I have no problem with faith or belief Cam, but at the end of the day experience and facts tend to trump faith. 

We need a big signing.

Shackell will be ok if it happens and a (more) solid back four will be beneficial. But what we need is a quality signing, someone who can lift us. 

I see a lot of posters on here who get carried away with the slightly better than average (in Championship terms) - Russell, Martin, Bryson as good examples.  Hughes is still unlikely this season to become the player we are all hoping him to be, and the only two "quality" footballers we have IMO are Thorne and Ince.  We also have one wildcard with Weimann. If the former can stay fit, and we can develop our formation to use Ince and Weimann's skills to the best effect we have a chance this year, but we still need IMO one big signing who will be the catalyst for lifting us from top 8 to top 2. 

Not sure who that is, but hopefully Clement and Evans do, and that Mel Morris and our other investors are happy to fund that one big splash.

I have no problem with faith or belief Cam, but at the end of the day experience and facts tend to trump faith. 

We need a big signing.

Shackell will be ok if it happens and a (more) solid back four will be beneficial. But what we need is a quality signing, someone who can lift us. 

I see a lot of posters on here who get carried away with the slightly better than average (in Championship terms) - Russell, Martin, Bryson as good examples.  Hughes is still unlikely this season to become the player we are all hoping him to be, and the only two "quality" footballers we have IMO are Thorne and Ince.  We also have one wildcard with Weimann. If the former can stay fit, and we can develop our formation to use Ince and Weimann's skills to the best effect we have a chance this year, but we still need IMO one big signing who will be the catalyst for lifting us from top 8 to top 2. 

Not sure who that is, but hopefully Clement and Evans do, and that Mel Morris and our other investors are happy to fund that one big splash.

A big signing where? Hopefully at the back, because we're good enough elsewhere!

A big signing where? Hopefully at the back, because we're good enough elsewhere!

If you think so SR, but IMO you are deluded if you think we are already good enough in midfield and attack. We do need one more good defender, but what we really need is someone to lift us in the attacking areas of midfield.  That would make the difference.

We need a big signing.

I'd love a huge signing but I personally don't see why we'd need to spend big again unless we sold someone. I think our squad is more than good enough to compete for a top 2 spot, we just need a bit of luck avoiding injuries and for our players to remain focused and adapt to Clement's tactics.

• Grant/Carson - Both good Championship keepers. Not up there with the likes of Marshall and Westwood, but they'll do
  • Christie/Shotton/Ssewankambo - Could definitely improve on this position, but we'd never spend tons on the right back spot (Unless we somehow persuaded Wisdom to join permanently)
  • Keogh - Some fans dislike him but in my opinion he's one of the top defenders in this league.
  • Pearce - Not seen enough of him to judge but I'd like this spot to be filled by Shackell if we can get him
  • Forsyth - Some areas of his game he can improve on but there aren't too many better left backs in this league
  • Thorne - We all know how good he is, he just needs to stay injury free
  • Hughes - One of the best in the league. Will only get better and hopefully he's been working on his shooting during pre season
  • Bryson/Hendrick - Another couple of players who split fan's opinon. If we can get Bryson back to his 13-14 season form we've got a centre mid who can get 10 goals at least. Him and Martin during that season were brilliant together. Hendrick drifts in and out of games a bit too much but he still finished the season with 7 goals and 9 assists. Both would get in most teams in this league
  • Ince - Again, one of the best players in the league
  • Weimann - On paper he should be one of the best in the league, but we'll have to wait and see
  • Martin - First striker to bag 20 goals in back to back seasons for us in way too long. Would be difficult to sign someone better than him without changing our system

And then we have the likes of Russell, Bent, Bryson/Hendrick, Dawkins, Baird, Buxton and Carson/Grant on the bench. Even the majority of them would get in most Championship team's starting 11. I just can't see us breaking our record again because our squad is already good enough to be challenging at the top

I'd love a huge signing but I personally don't see why we'd need to spend big again unless we sold someone. I think our squad is more than good enough to compete for a top 2 spot, we just need a bit of luck avoiding injuries and for our players to remain focused and adapt to Clement's tactics.

• Grant/Carson - Both good Championship keepers. Not up there with the likes of Marshall and Westwood, but they'll do
  • Christie/Shotton/Ssewankambo - Could definitely improve on this position, but we'd never spend tons on the right back spot (Unless we somehow persuaded Wisdom to join permanently)
  • Keogh - Some fans dislike him but in my opinion he's one of the top defenders in this league.
  • Pearce - Not seen enough of him to judge but I'd like this spot to be filled by Shackell if we can get him
  • Forsyth - Some areas of his game he can improve on but there aren't too many better left backs in this league
  • Hughes - One of the best in the league. Will only get better and hopefully he's been working on his shooting during pre season
  • Bryson/Hendrick - Another couple of players who split fan's opinon. If we can get Bryson back to his 13-14 season form we've got a centre mid who can get 10 goals at least. Him and Martin during that season were brilliant together. Hendrick drifts in and out of games a bit too much but he still finished the season with 7 goals and 9 assists. Both would get in most teams in this league
  • Weimann - On paper he should be one of the best in the league, but we'll have to wait and see
  • Martin - First striker to bag 20 goals in back to back seasons for us in way too long. Would be difficult to sign someone better than him without changing our system

And then we have the likes of Russell, Bent, Bryson/Hendrick, Dawkins, Baird, Buxton and Carson/Grant on the bench. Even the majority of them would get in most Championship team's starting 11. I just can't see us breaking our record again because our squad is already good enough to be challenging at the top

Blimey Cam. I didn't say we wouldn't challenge. We are a top 8/6 team already, and with the squad we have we will be "thereabouts" this season.  You really haven't said anything than what I did - that Thorne, Ince and Weimann are really good players, and Martin and Hughes when on form are very able players.  But, I still think to make the real difference this year we need a proper playmaker, someone sitting in front of Thorne and Hughes. Like I said previously, not sure who that is, but hopefully the club have an idea who could fill that gap.

Please, PLEASE, don't anyone come on here saying the "2013/14 Bryson" is that playmaker. 

If you think so SR, but IMO you are deluded if you think we are already good enough in midfield and attack. We do need one more good defender, but what we really need is someone to lift us in the attacking areas of midfield.  That would make the difference.

Yes, because where we failed last season was not creating enough chances or scoring enough goals...

Oh yes that's right, it's because the defence fell to bits. Our midfield is more than adequate, as is our attack offering quality throughout. Where we are still lacking that quality though is in defence, specifically RB and CB. 

Neither Christie nor Shotton is good enough and Ssewankambo is untested. RB is the one area where we are desperate for a first team regular but it somehow keeps slipping under the radar. With Albentosa seemingly departing on loan, another CB is needed, be it Shackell or someone else.

We have consistently been one of the top scorers in the league for the past couple of seasons and have added to our attack with the likes of Bent, Weimann and Ince, all Premier League quality players so how your can possibly say we're not good enough in attack is ridiculous. As for attacking midfielders, we've got Hughes, easily the best midfielder in the league and Bryson who only under-performed last season because the nature of his role changed but bagged 16 goals the season before. Defence should be the priority now.

I think we need another man to guard the back four like Thorne, Hughes is more than capable as a playmaker. Shackell in, RB in, and DM in. Shotton out and Alby out on loan and  little more needs doing.

How many players you want??????????

Absolutely spot on. New RB and cover for Thorne and Martin

Our midfield is more than adequate, as is our attack offering quality throughout. We have consistently been one of the top scorers in the league for the past couple of seasons and have added to our attack with the likes of Bent, Weimann and Ince, all Premier League quality players so how your can possibly say we're not good enough in attack is ridiculous. As for attacking midfielders, we've got Hughes, easily the best midfielder in the league and Bryson who only under-performed last season because the nature of his role changed but bagged 16 goals the season before.

Thanks for your insight Clouseau.

Did I say we were not good enough in attack? I said we need a good midfield playmaker. I would suggest your analysis of what I wrote might be open to ridicule.

By the way I think your opinion of Hughes is inflated, and your assessment that Bryson will have a much better upcoming season because Craig said that nasty man McClaren played him in the wrong position last season is weak. 

We will struggle to get into the top two with our current midfield.

Wouldn't mind seeing le fondre coming in, been told he's not got a future at Cardiff and would probably be a decent bench player. Can score goals and gives us a different outlet.

Really good impact player but I'd prefer us to bring in someone who has a similar style to Martin. Bent, like Le Fondre, can bang in goals for fun and can come off the bench to add fire power, but we really struggled when he had to do the Martin role. Mind you, I can't think of any forwards who play like Martin, would be relatively cheap and would be willing to come and be his backup apart from possibly Sam Gallagher (loan) but I've not seen enough of him to know if he's even any good 

Did I say we were not good enough in attack? I said we need a good midfield playmaker. I would suggest your analysis of what I wrote might be open to ridicule.

By the way I think your opinion of Hughes is inflated, and your assessment that Bryson will have a much better upcoming season because Craig said that nasty man McClaren played him in the wrong position last season is weak. 

I would agree. A John Gregory, A passer and goalscorer, who can run the game. 

Can Hughes not be that playmaker? He doesn't get many assists but I imagine he was involved in the majority of our goals last season. I'd have thought what we're lacking in midfield would be a midfield general type player. Someone who can help Thorne/Baird protect the back 4 and allow Hughes, Ince, Weimann, Russell etc. to attack without being desperately needed to track back

Well you kind of did, unless you think yourself deluded?

But I don't know why I'm getting involved, I partially agree with you because we created very little from midfield last season and that is a little concerning. I think we're pretty strong up top and out wide though.

The only problem I have with our midfield is the perceived lack of fitness and ability to play in a two. 

Now, I say 'perceived lack of fitness' rather than 'lack of fitness' because I'm sure they're more than capable but don't show the levels needed to play in a two man CM duo. 

Thorne and Hughes are the two I'm holding out for - I think they're both good enough and smart enough to play in that two. Hendrick and Bryson need a three man midfield to work and, depending where he is touted to play, Dawkins does too.

I fear @i-Ram has set his sights on a top 10 Premier League side, not a Championship side. To suggest Martin and Hughes aren't ''quality'' Championship players is close to madness, whereas to suggest they aren't top half Premier League quality is another thing altogether. 

Really good impact player but I'd prefer us to bring in someone who has a similar style to Martin. Bent, like Le Fondre, can bang in goals for fun and can come off the bench to add fire power, but we really struggled when he had to do the Martin role. Mind you, I can't think of any forwards who play like Martin, would be relatively cheap and would be willing to come and be his backup apart from possibly Sam Gallagher (loan) but I've not seen enough of him to know if he's even any good 

I would agree to an extent. However, I get the feeling that the 'Martin' type is not what it appears. I don't think it's his strength that we missed in the team, but instead his technical ability to trap the ball and play it off. Therefore I think a technical No. 9 would be able to fit it as long as the put the effort in to track back like Martin does.

I would agree to an extent. However, I get the feeling that the 'Martin' type is not what it appears. I don't think it's his strength that we missed in the team, but instead his technical ability to trap the ball and play it off. Therefore I think a technical No. 9 would be able to fit it as long as the put the effort in to track back like Martin does.

Yeah fair point actually. I don't know why, but whenever I imagine someone else playing 'the Martin role' I always picture some 6ft4 striker when it could probably be done by someone 5ft6 as long as they had good technical ability and came deep and got involved in the build up play :lol:

Archived