Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread

South Ram

In an ideal world I would want 3 signings still, but this isn't football manager so lets see what happens...

Replacement target man for Sammon - Drogba :ph34r:

Winger most likely a loan - Serge Gnabry from Arsenal would be perfect

Strong CB - Distin on a free? would be a great signing

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Distin is at Bournemouth so you can rule that out one.

Drogba hahaha you can dream but unlikely

Gnabry is more likely than other 2 you suggested.

Distin is at Bournemouth so you can rule that out one.

Drogba hahaha you can dream but unlikely

Gnabry is more likely than other 2 you suggested.

Already signed for Bournemouth... So less free...

Didn't know he had signed, apologies. Puyol still available :ph34r:

Drogba is no chance but still, he would replace Sammon alright :D

Gnabry is likely, he is a great player but he wont get ahead of Sanchez and Walcott, he would benefit a lot playing here but he would push Ince or Weimann or Russell out of contention as I believe he would be better after he is match fit.

I am always jolly happy to ridicule you Yorkshire, but rarely keen to debate with you.  At the end of the day you always think you are right, and that is fine by the way.  But if I really wanted to engage with someone who always thinks they are right, I would stay away from this forum and talk to my missus.

Of course he thinks he's right, he wouldn't say it otherwise.

Although it definitely beats "knows he's wrong but is arguing anyway".

Also, this backup for Martin business, it's odd but I can only think if Conor Sammon had any ball control at all he'd be perfect cover. So unselfish and a very hard worker. Just the issue that he never seems to be able to trap the ball long enough to set players up. He's actually not bad on the rare occasion he has the ball under control and there's someone moving into a good position for him.

I've never ever ever known a player that is only any good off the ball. His off the ball talents are quite good actually.

Also, this backup for Martin business, it's odd but I can only think if Conor Sammon had any ball control at all he'd be perfect cover. So unselfish and a very hard worker. Just the issue that he never seems to be able to trap the ball long enough to set players up. He's actually not bad on the rare occasion he has the ball under control and there's someone moving into a good position for him.

I've never ever ever known a player that is only any good off the ball. His off the ball talents are quite good actually.

I got into an argument on here way back because I suggested Sammon was an intelligent player who lacked the football ability to match. Stand by it too, after all you don't get to miss quite so many sitters if your movement isn't good.

I got into an argument on here way back because I suggested Sammon was an intelligent player who lacked the football ability to match. Stand by it too, after all you don't get to miss quite so many sitters if your movement isn't good.

The highlight of his time here was a few seasons back, under Clough, when Jamie Ward was having a bit of a purple patch and scored something like 5 in 5. And he kept saying that he owed it all to Sammon, and it was true, Conor had assisted most of them. He just managed to win the ball and feed Jamie. If we lost Martin to injury or suspension, I'd love to have that Sammon back! The one we had for about 5 games! Our wide strikers - Ince, Weimann, Russell etc - would love him. They'd score hatfuls.

Also, this backup for Martin business, it's odd but I can only think if Conor Sammon had any ball control at all he'd be perfect cover.

I think this is a bit of a mistake though... He's not backup for Martin... He's backup for Bent...

Quick, powerful, best running off the shoulder than receiving the ball with back to goal, not great at hold up play...

He'll get in players faces, force them to make mistakes and then Ince/Russell/Weimann/Bryson are quick and nimble enough to take advantage

REHABILITATE THE FISH!!!

I think this is a bit of a mistake though... He's not backup for Martin... He's backup for Bent...

Quick, powerful, best running off the shoulder than receiving the ball with back to goal, not great at hold up play...

He'll get in players faces, force them to make mistakes and then Ince/Russell/Weimann/Bryson are quick and nimble enough to take advantage

REHABILITATE THE FISH!!!

He's neither Martin nor Bent. He doesn't run off the shoulder. Why would he? He can't finish and he knows it.

He's neither Martin nor Bent. He doesn't run off the shoulder. Why would he? He can't finish and he knows it.

I agree he's neither but I think he's similar to Bent... He's quick enough to play off the shoulder like Bent... 

However the difference I'd suggest is that you feed Bent into the middle (sending him through on goal) where you feed Sammon into space (right and left) so he's running onto the ball and giving others time to get up to support...

Sammon is great off the ball, harassing defences and that's about it, no offence to him.

He puts himself about and ruffles some feathers.

imo should be utilised in tight games when we need to hold on to the lead, come on, chase some balls and annoy some centre backs

Sammon is an athlete who is quite good at football.  He's neither a Martin or a Bent.  I'd say he's a strong runner who would benefit from long balls down the flanks.  He's a good player to close down defenders and harrying them into rushing passes, which gives the opportunity to regain possession.

Archived