Buxton Already Relishing Pre-Season

Jake Buxton fully expects to be fighting fit and raring to go by the time Derby County's players report back for pre-season training towards the end of June. 

The central defender underwent back surgery in March, which went on to rule him out of action for the rest of the 2014/15 season. 

Buxton, 30, suffered an injury to one of the discs in his lumbar spine which required a minor procedure. 

He was edging towards a return to full training by the time Derby’s season concluded at the beginning of May and he had hoped to be available for a potential Play-Off campaign, which failed to materialise. 

Buxton endured a stop-start campaign, mainly due to injury, which limited him to 23 appearances in all competitions.

He is already relishing the prospect of returning to pre-season training next month and staking a claim for a place in Steve McClaren’s backline once again.

“My back is fine now after the surgery and I was on course to be available, hopefully, in the Play-Offs but that possibility has been ruled out now,” Buxton told Rams Player. 

“Now it’s about keeping myself in good shape over the summer and coming back for pre-season training raring to go.

“Pre-season is a time to stake a claim for a place in the side and help Derby County push for promotion.”

Although Buxton, a fans’ favourite, has been a regular face in the Rams' defence in each of the last three seasons after overcoming a long-term injury in the 2010/11 season, he is taking nothing for granted.

He understands that, like any player, he will have to battle it out to earn a place in Derby’s side on merit.

In 2009 Buxton was a non-league player at Burton Albion and he remains driven to complete a meteoric rise and achieve Premier League football with Derby. 

“As I always say, you have to earn your stripes and prove yourself every single season,” he said. 

“Like in any job, you have to work your way up the ladder and for myself I started at the bottom when I came from Burton Albion, who were in the Conference at the time.

“I feel I am in a position now where I am respected in the group and by the fans, but that doesn’t mean you get an automatic place in the team – you have to earn it every week.”

He added: “My drive and desire is to be part of a squad that takes Derby County into the Premier League.

“It’s up to us to do it and we’ll give it everything that we’ve got.”

Derby’s unexpected early end to the 2014/15 season has provided a time for reflection, according to Buxton.

On a personal and team basis, Buxton feels it is important that time is taken to look at the good and the bad from the past 12 months.

He feels that by doing that, both individually and as a team, Derby can move forwards.

“It’s also a chance to look at what I did well and what could I have done better, as well as where there is room for improvement,” he said.

“I want to help my team mates and the club to be successful together.

“It’s important to assess things together, but you also have to look at yourself as well as an individual.

“That’s important, especially when things don’t go as well as you want them to, so you can get to the bottom of things and ultimately become a better person and a better player.”

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it is any coincidence that Bucko has played less games this season and our defence has crumbled and we have failed to get into the play offs. He is a decent player with a fantastic and honest personality and he should be very much part of our plans for next season. 

I though from the ITK that he wasn't going to be here next season ?

They pretending to ITK but it failed anyway. Bless them lol. 

Buxton is a warrior, he was sorely missed when not in the team.  He is not the fastest, but reads the game well, wins lots of headers and is strong as an ox.  His drive and determination will be much needed in the coming season.  If only we had more players with his mentality.  Needs to refine his wrestling manoeuvres though.  Enjoyed reading that article.

Jake Buxton may not be the most technically gifted or quick player to grace a football pitch, but he has more passion, desire and determination than most of the players I have seen in a Derby shirt combined. I would want him at the club regardless of the level we were playing. His attributes can get you a lot further in football than a genius who just can't be bothered. 

Jake Buxton may not be the most technically gifted or quick player to grace a football pitch, but he has more passion, desire and determination than most of the players I have seen in a Derby shirt combined. I would want him at the club regardless of the level we were playing. His attributes can get you a lot further in football than a genius who just can't be bothered. 

Couldn't of put it better myself

Archived