Can anyone guess?

curb

Out of the last 20 years, how many seasons we've finished with a BETTER defensive record than this season?

got it?

now take away the seasons that Steve McClaren WASN'T coach.

anyone?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you say guess, is this cheating?

We conceded 56 this season. The seasons that has been bettered are:

94/95, equivalent of Championship. Finished 9th. 51 goals

95/96, equivalent of championship, finished 2nd. 51 goals

97/98, Premier League, finished 9th, 49 goals

98/99, Premier League, finished 8th, 45 goals

06/07, Championship, finished 3rd, 46 goals

13/14, Championship, finished 3rd, 52 goals.

Changing the record slightly (see what I did there?)

With the summer transfer market looming, I've often wondered where we sit in terms of our record signing (which I believe to be £3m for Robert Earnshaw)

That's always seemed pathetically low, to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if we were the club with the highest average gate to record signing ratio? I know the two factors aren't directly related, but I'm trying to portray in terms of us being a big club who have never really bought any expensive players

When you say guess, is this cheating?

We conceded 56 this season. The seasons that has been bettered are:

94/95, equivalent of Championship. Finished 9th. 51 goals

95/96, equivalent of championship, finished 2nd. 51 goals

97/98, Premier League, finished 9th, 49 goals

98/99, Premier League, finished 8th, 45 goals

06/07, Championship, finished 3rd, 46 goals

13/14, Championship, finished 3rd, 52 goals.

Nearly there, just one more step

Nearly there, just one more step

​I realise what you're saying. Let's say we remove the seasons we were in the PL due to the games difference, that's 7 from 20 years. Of the last 13 second-tier seasons we've achieved a better defensive record four times, one of those with Mac in charge. Although we'd conceded between 13-17 (depending if you count Ipswich or not) before Mac arrived in 2013/14.

​I realise what you're saying. Let's say we remove the seasons we were in the PL due to the games difference, that's 7 from 20 years. Of the last 13 second-tier seasons we've achieved a better defensive record four times, one of those with Mac in charge. Although we'd conceded between 13-17 (depending if you count Ipswich or not) before Mac arrived in 2013/14.

I was including the Prem years, but taking them away because McClaren was coach.

Well Kernow was nearly there,

in seven out of the last 20 years we've had a better defensive record than this season's 56:

last season we conceded 52 and finished 3rd, coach Steve McClaren

06-07 we conceded 46 goals and finished 3rd, coach Billy Davies (although we only scored 62 goals)

98-99 we conceded 45 in the top tier (38 games), coach Steve McClaren

97-98 we conceded 49 in the top tier (38 games), coach Steve McClaren

95-96 we conceded 51 goals and were promoted in 2nd place, coach Steve McClaren

94-95 we conceded 51 goals and finished 9th, coach Roy MacFarland.

so the answer is 2, only two other coaches in the last 20 years have managed a better goals conceded record, and one of those was King Billy and his war of attrition.

be careful what you wish for.

Coming up next:

Is 12 points from 12 games really that bad?

I bet our Nige didn't have a 12 game spell that only brought us 12 points!

So of those 7 years in 20, 2 were in the Premier League which means 8 less matches to concede 11 or 7 more goals? And 1 year was last year? 

I looked the other day but I only looked back 10 years. I loved the Burley season but statistically it wasn't as good as I expected. I still remember Billy's quite well. 

Basically the people that need a brief modern history lesson are too busy abusing players of Facebook and Twitter to actually look.

Archived