Next Season. Whats needed.

I know this season has only just finished. One that promised so much and delivered so little. But what do we need next season to get us to the promised land. 

Its hard to say without knowing for certain who is in charge. But I will give it a go. 

1. A goalkeeper. Grant is an excellent shot stopper. But thats it. No command of his area and he isnt agile enough when the ball is near his feet. He doesnt get down quick enough. I see we have been linked to Marshall at Cardiff. He would be an excellent signing. Butland as well. I know he has signed a new deal at Stoke. But hes not gonna play there. 

2. A dominent centre half. Ideally we need a left footed one. This is McClarens biggest mistake for me. He had to sign an experienced centre half in the summer. He didnt and its cost us. This is an absolute must in the summer. If Dyche comes in maybe he would bring Shackell with him (I can dream cant I!?)

3. Full backs. Id keep Christie as back up. Hes still very young and I think he will go on to make a good full back. Shotton isnt good enough for me at right back or centre half. Forsyth is a liability though. If we want to progress we need 2 new full backs. Warnock isnt the answer either. Would love to see us go for Wisdom in the summer. 

4. 1 or 2 midfielders. Hughes is gone. I can tell you that for a fact. The money we get for him is imperative to fund the overhaul needed in the summer. I wouldnt be disappointed to see Hendrick go either. Hes ok. But has for too many off days. Id keep Bryson. This season just hasnt happened for him. Hes one of them players that needs a consistant run in the team and this season has been far too stop start for him. But this lad scored 16 goals last season and we cant forget that. Plus if Dyche does come, he will definately keep Bryson. Thorne needs a good pre season behind him and he will be the best player in the division next season. A couple of midfielders needed.

5. Wingers. Hard to say how many. As we might not play this system next year. But we need 2 at least. Ince and Lingard will go back. I cant see us keeping Ward. I just dont think hes good enough anymore. Hes been a brilliant servant for this football club and if the players out there today had half his passion and commitment we might have got the result we needed. The jurys still out on Russell for me. Im not saying id get rid of him. But when we were linked with the swap deal for Ritchie a lot of our fans didnt want to entertain the idea. I said it at the time and ill say it again. Russell is nowhere near as good as Matt Ritchie. Id like to see more from Russell next season.

5. A striker. Obviously Bent is going and I wouldnt keep him either. We need someone with Martin for me. I still get a feeling we will go for a big name striker this summer. The links with Rhodes and McCormack will surface again and with the money from Hughes sale. I wouldnt be surprised in the slightest to see us spend big on a striker. Cany see us getting Rhodes as he will end up in the prem for sure. McCormack could be a possibility though. 

6. The manager. To not get in the top 6 is a joke. Yes we have had injuries. But they have been for 2/3 months. Nobody signed in January and he had no clue what system to play. The only way he will still be here next season is if Newcastle go down. But I wouldnt be bothered in the slightest if he went. The fact that he didnt strengthen his defence in the summer was strange. 

So. Hughes gone. Use the money and some of Mel Morris's millions to fund an overhaul of the squad. 

A goalkeeper, right back, left back, centre half, midfielder, 2 wingers and a striker. Big changes needed. 

Players who need to move on. Ward, Warnock, Shotton,  Hughes (we cant keep him now. He wants to play in the prem and the money will be huge for us) 

If McClaren stays ill back him 110%. If he goes I wont be disappointed. 

Dyche would be my choice.

A big summer lies ahead. But if we spend right and get the right manager in, we will have a great chance next season.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alot to agree with, but one or to points to take issue with....

People  keep saying that grant is an excellent shot stopper? Yes he makes one or two good saves - there was a great save yesterday down to his right hand post in the first half......but he actually saves very few. 

For the first goal when the striker was clean through he stood little chance, but boulton used to save those. He would pluck the ball off the strikers toes. 

For the second he hops across his line with his arms straight down by his sides? 

The other thing.....people keep saying why didn't we strengthen the defence. Whether the defence was strengthened is a moot point, but we signed christie, shotton, whitbread, naylor, albentosa and warnock.....all in one season! So we did something. Chris evans should be called to account for a few of those.

finally.....one point about failing to finish in the top 6......i don't think anyone will ever talk about the slump under Billy Davies ever again. Finishing third when we were top now looks like a good result in comparison.  This season will become one of those landmark seasons - like the Great Escape, the Jim Smith promotion season, or the 11 points season - the Great Collapse will become a landmark.

What we need is less loanees. Having the ability to bring in good players on loan is great but how much have Bent, Ince and Lingard upset the team balance? As good as Butland was, it can't have done much good for Roos' confidence.

They might have also fallen at the final hurdle but our U21s have shown great promise. These guys should have been used more when the injuries came rolling in. They might not have had the impact of the loanees but it would have kept the squad together and given the U21s a huge boost of confidence. Where did Jamie Hanson go? Why couldn't Calero get more game time? What about Koblenz and Guy? Rawson and Bennett?

I know there's always the question of whether they're ready or not, is it right to experiment, but I think we should have gone down this route as opposed to big money loan signings to paper over the cracks. If they're not ready to step into the first team and put in a performance when someone is injured, they'll never be ready. 

I wouldn't go as far as saying Mac lost the player's support but I definitely think a lot of the harmony was lost over his lack of faith in the ability of the players we already have.

Alot to agree with, but one or to points to take issue with....

People  keep saying that grant is an excellent shot stopper? Yes he makes one or two good saves - there was a great save yesterday down to his right hand post in the first half......but he actually saves very few. 

For the first goal when the striker was clean through he stood little chance, but boulton used to save those. He would pluck the ball off the strikers toes. 

For the second he hops across his line with his arms straight down by his sides? 

The other thing.....people keep saying why didn't we strengthen the defence. Whether the defence was strengthened is a moot point, but we signed christie, shotton, whitbread, naylor, albentosa and warnock.....all in one season! So we did something. Chris evans should be called to account for a few of those.

finally.....one point about failing to finish in the top 6......i don't think anyone will ever talk about the slump under Billy Davies ever again. Finishing third when we were top now looks like a good result in comparison.  This season will become one of those landmark seasons - like the Great Escape, the Jim Smith promotion season, or the 11 points season - the Great Collapse will become a landmark.

​I agree about Grant although playing behind that defence even the likes of Schmeichel and Poom would have had problems. 

Grant was very good last season and at the start of this season. I imagine he's suffered a huge confidence knock conceding so many insane goals, as have most of the team. If the Grant of last season were to return I'd keep him, he's not perfect, but which keepers at this level are?

I agree far less loans no matter how good they are.

and a whole new defence inclusive of goalkeeper,you just cant keep them there confidence is shot especially Keoghs.

We also simply have to sell Hughes to rebuild.I also question though just how good hughes is far to many side ways passes not enough goals and when the chips have been down in the past few weeks great players and the tough get going.Hughes has simply disappeared,i don't rate him as high has some,yes he is good but needs to be in a side that is already good.This isn't what we need he is far to much of a luxury player.

A new manager that doesn't speak with forked tongue and single handley  YES single handlely ruins our season through causing unrest and playing loanees infront of regulars,no matter how good they have been.You have to sign players and move the ones you don't want out so they don't sit there and sulk.

On a personal jibe to the McLaren boys.............WELL WELL WELL you got just what you asked for,what would you be saying if all this had unfolded as it has done exactly under Clough...........I cant believe any of you and I mean any of you actually still want him here next season.I mean open your eyes for gods sake.....what does it take.

Cloughs big mistake.....selling shackell.And yes I was wondering if it was time for him to go.But I would never have let clough go if I had known there was a new sponsorship deal round the corner and a bit of money and room for wages coming around.The BIGGEST pity is after having done all the hard work Clough didn't get a chance with some real money.Yes you can say Salmon.Well how many plonkers has super steve signed.

One thing is for sure said in a Newcastle tone.

I would love it love just love it.If nigel takes sheff utd up and gets them in the promo hunt net year in the championship what then would the stupid non league nigel haters say then I wonder.

Well just looks where you got us SAM well done over and out rant over.

Looking forward to reading this is the most stupidest post on here ive seen in years replies lol....get real and start to see whats happening.

For me hope he goes we pocket 2 million and we get a new manager and one that's given a fair chance !!.

and a whole new defence inclusive of goalkeeper,you just cant keep them there confidence is shot especially Keoghs.

A new manager that doesn't speak with forked tongue and single handley  YES single handlely ruins our season through causing unrest and playing loanees infront of regulars,no matter how good they have been.You have to sign players and move the ones you don't want out so they don't sit there and sulk.

On a personal jibe to the McLaren boys.............WELL WELL WELL you got just what you asked for,what would you be saying if all this had unfolded as it has done exactly under Clough...........I cant believe any of you and I mean any of you actually still want him here next season.I mean open your eyes for gods sake.....what does it take.

Cloughs big mistake.....selling shackell.And yes I was wondering if it was time for him to go.But I would never have let clough go if I had known there was a new sponsorship deal round the corner and a bit of money and room for wages coming around.The BIGGEST pity is after having done all the hard work Clough didn't get a chance with some real money.Yes you can say Salmon.Well how many plonkers has super steve signed.

I would love it love just love it.If nigel takes sheff utd up and gets them in the promo hunt net year in the championship what then would the stupid non league nigel haters say then I wonder.

Looking forward to reading this is the most stupidest post on here ive seen in years replies lol....get real and start to see whats happening.

For me hope he goes we pocket 2 million and we get a new manager and one that's given a fair chance !!.

This hasn't shown that you're a Clough fan, it's shown that you don't support the Rams. Whinge all you like, but we will never know what Clough would have done with more budget. So we move on...

Mac hasn't made too many mistakes for us, but he's not been perfect. I support the club, which means I support Mav while he's in charge. Also, while we're on Clough, it's reported Sheff U have the biggest wage in League 1 and he's been allowed to spend big money there too, and yet where are they in the league...? He won't take them up, I'll be happy for him if he does, but he won't.

Please, if you support the Rams, know that everyone is frustrated and disappointed with that finish. But know that half the stadium stayed till the end yesterday and applauded every player off the pitch. We go again next year.

We also simply have to sell Hughes to rebuild.I also question though just how good hughes is far to many side ways passes not enough goals and when the chips have been down in the past few weeks great players and the tough get going.Hughes has simply disappeared,i don't rate him as high has some,yes he is good but needs to be in a side that is already good.This isn't what we need he is far to much of a luxury player.

The only reason that money came in was ​because Clough went and we improved with Mac, who reinvigorated the owners interest, bought back the fans and generated higher levels of income. 

This hasn't shown that you're a Clough fan, it's shown that you don't support the Rams. Whinge all you like, but we will never know what Clough would have done with more budget. So we move on...

Mac hasn't made too many mistakes for us, but he's not been perfect. I support the club, which means I support Mav while he's in charge. Also, while we're on Clough, it's reported Sheff U have the biggest wage in League 1 and he's been allowed to spend big money there too, and yet where are they in the league...? He won't take them up, I'll be happy for him if he does, but he won't.

Please, if you support the Rams, know that everyone is frustrated and disappointed with that finish. But know that half the stadium stayed till the end yesterday and applauded every player off the pitch. We go again next year.

​Indeed he's spent massive money at Sheff Utd and a lot of their fans are not happy with the result of that spending. Quite a few want him out. 

@Mackworth Ram.......thanks for reasoned post. Most optimistic one as if all true, we will bounce back in style.

Agree with all you say. Shame Hughes will leave and will be fascinating to see how often he plays in Prem

I have always doubted Russell's ability to influence games. He will hopefully leave and be replaced. Amount of time he loses possession is frightening. And yes, Ritchie would have been a steal in a swap, and we were also in for Francis as right back ......so hopefully we will push boat out a bit for our prefered targets. I personally am more than happy to see Christie play as first choice.

To get Shackell back has to be a priority and Dyche would hopefully make that signing his priority. 

New manager. New captain. New central midfielder. New striker. New right back. New left back. New keeper. New centre back. 

Where's all the money coming for all of these btw? Can't fault the board for backing McClaren last season my only gripe is he's let them down can't see them being that generous again 

Where's all the money coming for all of these btw? Can't fault the board for backing McClaren last season my only gripe is he's let them down can't see them being that generous again 

Comp for McClaren, transfer fees for Keogh, Hughes and Bryson. 

Should be around £20m all in. If you can't build a championship team for that, you want shooting. 

Will agree to disagree with you on that figure after last season we couldnt give Bryson away Keogh 2 million Hughes 7 or 8 million optimistically compo for McClaren 2 million the board will also want some of that money back as I think they overspent last season to get us up as a plan which obviously has failed

In my opinion 

GK - Grant is a good keeper, but possibly not for the level we want to be at, if Marshall is available then great if not then Grant will do the job. 

Full backs - Right back for me is fine - Christie, Shotton and the up and coming Rawson will be enough. Left back is a weird area as it looks like it should be enough, but Forsyth's distribution is at times overly risky, but he was brilliant the season before and Warnock is a solid back up. 

Centre Back - I'm hopeful Albentosa will come good, Keogh is solid and dependable, mostly. We still need strengthening in this area. Shackell would be great, but unlikely, as for alternatives I have no idea 

Midfield - I think Hughes will leave, and for good money, I would keep Bryson and Hendrick, so we need to add at least 1 more central midfielder. As for holding midfield, Thorne will hopefully be fit next season, and give Eustace another year. 

Wingers - Part of the problem defensively this year has been this area, the inability to chose the right pass or losing possession in key areas. Russell is a good player and should be kept, Dawkins has had a personal year, but is still a good player at this level, Ward is injury prone and possibly has had his time here, although he can be great on his day. Would love Ince to come back. 

Forwards - The drop in form is in direct correlation to Martin being injured, if he hadn't been who knows, but we need more in this area and other options. Bent will not come here as we can't pay his wages and Sammon is not a good back up. 

Manager - I like McClaren, but i think he got it wrong tactically when Martin was injured, the team didn't know how to play with Bent. Kenwyne Jones would have been perfect. I say give him another year. 

Comp for McClaren, transfer fees for Keogh, Hughes and Bryson. 

Should be around £20m all in. If you can't build a championship team for that, you want shooting. 

I'm not sure that this would be a good strategy.

whenever we have gone around splashing the cash it generately doesn't build a TEAM.

Docherty - who had built a great team at Man Utd - absolutely ruined us because of too much change, too soon.

arthur Cox - who built a great team on a budget - build a shiite team of prima donnas when pickering ordered him to spend, spend , spend.

.....and as for BD there's no need to spell out the fact that other teams will happily take our dosh of us with inflated fees when they know we have money to spendl

we might need to take a step back in order to take a couple of steps forward and promote a couple of youngsters.

The following post is made under the assumption that, like Fabregas' transfer to Barcelona, even when selling a player you have to pay off the rest of their contract unless a transfer request has been made.

Isn't Bryson on about £20k a week? Barring him requesting a transfer, we'd have to receive a bid of around £4.5 million just to get enough money to pay him off. I don't think he'll be going anywhere soon.

Archived