I thought I'd Be More Disappointed

I genuinely thought I'd be upset if we missed out on play-offs but at the moment, it's more a sense of relief.

Since March, we have been on a downward spiral. We haven't looked half the team we saw at the start of the year and results have reflected this.

Granted, injuries have played a part but with players of the quality we have; we should be able to adapt and find new ways to win. The best teams do.

If we'd have snuck a draw today, we'd have been going into the play-offs in terrible form and with players whose confidence has hit rock bottom. Chances are, we'd have got annihilated by Middlesbrough or Norwich.

I'm confident that the board will back the team over summer and the manager, regardless of whether it's McClaren or not, will have funds to bring in the players he wants and we'll return in August with a better squad and better morale in the dressing room. 

I guess this season could be described as a season of 'what ifs' but there's no point dwelling on it.
Let's just look forward to next season where we can hopefully do better!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good opening post. Obviously we'd have all prefered to make the playoffs, but sort of glad we won't have to be subjected to more misery. No more extra misery for this season, on the field at least.

​In a weird way, I'm sort of over it already. Since the poor run started, I've seen it coming.

Much rather give the players an early holiday and let them regain confidence before a tough pre-season with some new quality signings, ready to go again come August with a renewed sense of optimism.

The defence wasn't good enough this season. If we can strengthen that, there's no reason we can't do better next year because we've seen that this team can score goals, regardless of personnel.

Yes in a strange way it's a good thing. It's bad now but would have been even worse to have got battered in the play offs. 

There's no way we were going to beat any of the top 5 on current form. 

Imagine that Brentford game from the other week. Twice.

Its been on the cards that we could fail for like 2 months, it didn't surprise me at all and it hasn't really disappointed me. As a Derby fan from the year 2000 I am used to failure, its drilled into my very core. Next season will be interesting. 

Glad I'm not the only one to feel a sense of relief. Everything in life is relative. I got the all clear for cancer during the week, put today's result in perspective. We love our club and will return stronger. We Are Derby , Super Rams. SSA!!! Keep the faith

My post from January 22nd:

I will run around my street naked in celebration while guzzling champagne if we get promoted,regardless if finishing top two or via playoffs.

Was looking forward to that...ah well always next season.;)

COYR!  :)

​Exactly. Interestingly Brentford know there manager is leaving and are still up there. 

Someone just mentioned this on radio though. The Brentford players were still playing for their manager as it was the club who was getting rid of him. If Steve is going then far more understandable that the players would react poorly compared to Brentford.

Glad I'm not the only one to feel a sense of relief. Everything in life is relative. I got the all clear for cancer during the week, put today's result in perspective. We love our club and will return stronger. We Are Derby , Super Rams. SSA!!! Keep the faith

​Brilliant news SK, hope you're well!

Someone just mentioned this on radio though. The Brentford players were still playing for their manager as it was the club who was getting rid of him. If Steve is going then far more understandable that the players would react poorly compared to Brentford.

​I'm sorry but I can't see how the players aren't playing for him. Surely THEY want to play in the prem no matter who the manager is don't they????.

This could well happen to a team in the top flight, but I don't believe for one minute those players out there didn't want promotion!

I don't understand that logic. If my boss says he's leaving I wouldn't shaft the company by doing a half assed job till his replacement started. 

If the players are good enough where was the leader on the pitch? 

Or maybe last season flattered our players' ability? 

Me too, Im glad the agony is over now and can enjoy my summer and we then are ready to go again, I feel more upset for my son, who  after 8 weeks in hospital was gutted not to be well enough to go today but was looking forward to the play offs. but has accepted that we are Derby and nothing is ever done the easy way !!

Ater following the rams for 42 years the heartache does not get any easier but knowing that we finished where we did is because that where we deserved to be.

onwards and upwards for next season

​I'm sorry but I can't see how the players aren't playing for him. Surely THEY want to play in the prem no matter who the manager is don't they????.

This could well happen to a team in the top flight, but I don't believe for one minute those players out there didn't want promotion!

Fine margins I guess. Everything was positive and we clicked for well over a year. When cracks appeared we needed to come together as one.  It may not be true, but if the squad thought Mac was off, you can understand what went wrong.

Thanks Yorkshire, appreciate that!! Yes despite Rams best efforts today I'll be downing some hoppy ales tonight!!! Looking forward to a new season already. Maybe Derbyshire CCC can bring us some good cheer this summer!! 

I don't get to many games these days due to work commitments, but when I do, I hear all sorts of comments, some I think ridiculous, some profound, just as I do on here. I can't believe Forsyth is a professional footballer but I respect those who support him. Most of you get a better idea seeing the players week in week out. I can only go off what I see on TV. Whatever our views though, thanks to you all for the entertainment or otherwise I get on here!! The banter and support is a real lift!! Keep posting people, I'm hoping to return to work in a few weeks.  We Are Derby!! 

Viewing the intitial post I think you'd (as in any team) would want to be a part of the play-offs regardless of form.   It's simply three games against another opposition (who will also be feeling the pressure) and in that all things are possible.     Why beat yourselves up ?  For the most part you've had a very good season, been part of the top six for nearly the entire time and on that alone - deserve to participate.

Our record is atrocious (losing in '97, '98, '99, '04 and '05 with only one success in between) but still looking ahead after today and just relief to be involved.  Once again I don't think we will win the damn thing but just being involved after today is good enough and an achievement in itself.

Archived