Mastering a new sport

Gypsy Ram

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New sport I've taken up is kitesurfing. I love it.

​Had a couple of lessons, find it so hard and technical in the set up. You are in Brasil right, do you do regular surf?

​No tricks for me, just casual cruising.

With Waara skateboards, obviously.

I want one of those boards for general cruising, at the moment I have a bustin Ibach and a Arbor. All top mount, but thinking of getting a proper drop through to figure out those slides properly. ​

I took up tenpin bowling in the early 1990's having never even been in a bowling centre until I was persuaded by a guy at the company I worked for. Within 2 years it took over my life, and within 5 I was bowling Team England events, European championships, World Cups and the like and breaking house records (best game 300, best 3-game series 790).

There's nothing you cannot achieve with the right amount of dedication - and a shedload of money to throw at the sport, of course. Nobody could ever say that I was a 'natural', but 3 days of coaching from one of the greatest bowlers the world has ever seen (Díck Ritger) certainly helped.

​Had a couple of lessons, find it so hard and technical in the set up. You are in Brasil right, do you do regular surf?

​I'm in Mexico. I don't often do regular surf, as athough I live literally four blocks from the ocean - I'm 90kms away from the pacific side which generally has decent enough waves to surf.

The reason the Sea of Cortez is so good for kitesurfing, windsurfing etc. Is because the weather is impeccable all year round - beatiful sunshine with decent enough wind to make the most of it and the water is lake-like flat.

La Ventana is one of the best spots in the world, and I'm only 40ks away - takes 30 mins to drive there which is great.

Kitesurfing must be one of the most expensive sports around, learning and the equipment costs a bomb. But when you get good at it, it's such a great sport and immense fun.

​I'm in Mexico. I don't often do regular surf, as athough I live literally four blocks from the ocean - I'm 90kms away from the pacific side which generally has decent enough waves to surf.

The reason the Sea of Cortez is so good for kitesurfing, windsurfing etc. Is because the weather is impeccable all year round - beatiful sunshine with decent enough wind to make the most of it and the water is lake-like flat.

La Ventana is one of the best spots in the world, and I'm only 40ks away - takes 30 mins to drive there which is great.

Kitesurfing must be one of the most expensive sports around, learning and the equipment costs a bomb. But when you get good at it, it's such a great sport and immense fun.

To be honest that has put me off it. I have been surfing since 2009 and I was lucky enough to live somewhere where the was a constant swell. Get up early surf before work, surf lunch break and then some more. But it was affordable, Lee surfing looks amazing, but the lessons are a bomb -- and you need those for kite surfing -- then the equipment and the whole logistics of it. But I did try it in Bahrain, where there is plenty of on shore wind but not enough for waves. The longboarding came because of lash of surf on 2011 and I love it. I haven't achieved any sorts of eddies sort of accoutrements for a second sport but I enjoy it - also wipping out on concrete hurts a lot more than water. 

You are very lucky to be so close to a spot like that. I surged one just south of Tijuana, it was my second ever session and loved it. 

If you ever had back let me know, well hit the water. 

For now, it's concrete waves for me. 

I took up tenpin bowling in the early 1990's having never even been in a bowling centre until I was persuaded by a guy at the company I worked for. Within 2 years it took over my life, and within 5 I was bowling Team England events, European championships, World Cups and the like and breaking house records (best game 300, best 3-game series 790).

There's nothing you cannot achieve with the right amount of dedication - and a shedload of money to throw at the sport, of course. Nobody could ever say that I was a 'natural', but 3 days of coaching from one of the greatest bowlers the world has ever seen (Díck Ritger) certainly helped.

That's really impressive following your cricket achievement. I have a similar attitude and people mistake it for arrogance. But it's not,  people could achieve whatever they want, look at Hendrick ;)

We all need that helping hand, what helped with my surfing is that I was also writing about it, and got to share the water with some truly amazing surfers. 

Incidentally, a good friend of mine picked up surfing at 55. Being a former usa army colonel helped in fitness. He was there to support the kids. But he picked it up so quickly and our friendship built up that we surfed Morocco, lebanon and usa. 

Anything is possible.  

Tried Ultimate Frisbee not too long ago...meh.Not really fast enough and would rather take my dog to local dog park and see him catch a frisbee.

Have gotten a tad better at American pool though over past few months so theres that.

​FTFY

American pool is a walk in the park, over sized pockets and over sized, supidly heavy balls.  A lot of people in Oak Park, Chicago, Illinois where beated badly in the 90's.

Incidentally, a good friend of mine picked up surfing at 55. Being a former usa army colonel helped in fitness. He was there to support the kids. But he picked it up so quickly and our friendship built up that we surfed Morocco, lebanon and usa. 

Anything is possible.  

Blimey, thats some long wave, hope you took some pack up! 

​Nice one Eddie...impressive stuff.

I decided to do a full Iron Man last year, found one, entered it, then decided i better learn to swim.... within 6 months i was swimming 4km, riding 180km and running a marathon...as Eddie said, put your mind to it and anything is possible.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived