Race for the Playoffs

Bris Vegas

May aswell have a thread now, as it's a race between four teams for two spots

Derby 72 (28)

Ipswich 71 (16)

Brentford 71 (15)

Wolves 71 (12)

Fortunately we've got a much better GD, so I envisage only needing three wins to be secure.

Derby: Blackpool (H) Huddersfield (A) Millwall (A) Reading (H)

Ipswich: Cardiff (H) Wolves (A) Forest (H) Blackburn (A)

Brentford: Sheff Wed (A) Bolton (H) Reading (A) Wigan (H)

Wolves: Middlesbrough (A) Ipswich (H) Wigan (A) Millwall (H)

I'd say Derby and Brentford must be favourites to make it and I will be massively disapoointed if we miss out altogether.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't want twists and turns - I want to step it up and secure our place. And then hope that the third- and fourth-placed teams will be demoralized having missed out on the autos. Win the next two and have Ipswich and Wolves draw would really help.

It's odd because as there is no run away leaders, so we could still play any side in the current top 4. It could come down to finishing 5th, but some fans being disappointed that we've come 5th due to 4th being a better team than 3rd, if it does go down to the last day.

On our day, and with Thorne in the team, I fancy us against anyone in this league minus Norwich, so I hope they get autos..

It's odd because as there is no run away leaders, so we could still play any side in the current top 4. It could come down to finishing 5th, but some fans being disappointed that we've come 5th due to 4th being a better team than 3rd, if it does go down to the last day.

On our day, and with Thorne in the team, I fancy us against anyone in this league minus Norwich, so I hope they get autos..

id worry about Boro and Brentford too we haven't beaten them or looked getting close to beating them.

PistoldPete2

rabbit-and-turtle.jpg

Considering we have 72 points already and the record for a team finishing 7th is 75, I think this is well wide of the mark. The fact is whoever of those 4 teams doesn't get into the play offs is going to be very unlucky. Looks like both 7th and 8th will break that 75 point barrier. 

Considering we have 72 points already and the record for a team finishing 7th is 75, I think this is well wide of the mark. The fact is whoever of those 4 teams doesn't get into the play offs is going to be very unlucky. Looks like both 7th and 8th will break that 75 point barrier. 

​Look behind the picture. There's a moral story and it is spot on!

PistoldPete2

I spose we will want wolves and Ipswich to draw which would make it very difficult for either of them. Looking at the run in, none of the teams have very tough ones although I agree us and brentford should be favourites. 3 wins out of 4 sounds a tall order in our current form, but I doubt we should need it anyway. can 2 teams below us possibly get more than 10 points? It's mathematically impossible for 3 teams to do it 

PistoldPete2

​Look behind the picture. There's a moral story and it is spot on!

Well we've drawn against brentford Watford and norwich despite all our injuries so I think it's unfair to say in the race for the play offs we've blown it. The race certainly isn't over.

Well we've drawn against brentford Watford and norwich despite all our injuries so I think it's unfair to say in the race for the play offs we've blown it. The race certainly isn't over.

I agree, it's not over, the key to the next 4, 6 or 7 games is finding a solution, this is where Mac really earns his money.

For me it's about back to basics, no more square holes and round pegs.

Tried and trusted, nothing new, this is not a time for learning, we still have players fit with enough ability to achieve this. 

4 3 3 full stop, nothing else, the diamond ect just does not work for us to be 'fit to compete' over a quantity of fixtures, Hanson CDM, he was fine v Boro and Norwich, Martin up top.

Mac knows this as well, this is why he was so reluctant to change midseason when fans were crying out for plan b, but the current injury/form issues have clouded Macs judgement/choices.

Keogh back centre half alongside Whitbread, 2 from 4, LB, RB Forsyth, Warnock, Christie, Shotton.

Midfield Hanson plus 2 from 3 Hughes (after suspension) Hendrick, Bryson.

Wide men again plenty of choice both sides.

Stop toying McLaren, now's a time for minimal change, rabbits out of hats happen rarely and when they do it is exactly what it is something rare (Wigan away, even that first half we should have been behind).

If we get to the playoffs the team need to go abroad somewhere be locked in on a private resort and shown some of last seasons fantastic wins over and over again. Hopefully then they can çome out with half a chance. 

Until in the debrief the "newbies" ask who the CDM was ........

PistoldPete2

I agree, it's not over, the key to the next 4, 6 or 7 games is finding a solution, this is where Mac really earns his money.

For me it's about back to basics, no more square holes and round pegs.

Tried and trusted, nothing new, this is not a time for learning, we still have players fit with enough ability to achieve this. 

4 3 3 full stop, nothing else, the diamond ect just does not work for us to be 'fit to compete' over a quantity of fixtures, Hanson CDM, he was fine v Boro and Norwich, Martin up top.

Mac knows this as well, this is why he was so reluctant to change midseason when fans were crying out for plan b, but the current injury/form issues have clouded Macs judgement/choices.

Keogh back centre half alongside Whitbread, 2 from 4, LB, RB Forsyth, Warnock, Christie, Shotton.

Midfield Hanson plus 2 from 3 Hughes (after suspension) Hendrick, Bryson.

Wide men again plenty of choice both sides.

Stop toying McLaren, now's a time for minimal change, rabbits out of hats happen rarely and when they do it is exactly what it is something rare (Wigan away, even that first half we should have been behind).

I agree with all of this, thought Hanson did ok v boro, he scored against Norwich,  but maybe Mac saw something not right. Yes, of course with hughes and whitbread back we can play a more balanced team. But hughes is missing and whitbread is only just coming back after injury. We still have problems at full backs, think we will need some surgery in the summer to solve these problems. Guess that's why Keogh is playing right back , with shotton injured and Christies confidence and form shot to pieces what else ccan he do?

May aswell have a thread now, as it's a race between four teams for two spots

Derby 72 (28)

Ipswich 71 (16)

Brentford 71 (15)

Wolves 71 (12)

Fortunately we've got a much better GD, so I envisage only needing three wins to be secure.

Derby: Blackpool (H) Huddersfield (A) Millwall (A) Reading (H)

Ipswich: Cardiff (H) Wolves (A) Forest (H) Blackburn (A)

Brentford: Sheff Wed (A) Bolton (H) Reading (A) Wigan (H)

Wolves: Middlesbrough (A) Ipswich (H) Wigan (A) Millwall (H)

I'd say Derby and Brentford must be favourites to make it and I will be massively disapoointed if we miss out altogether.

" only needing three wins"!! Bris mate this team continues to play like we did v Brentford and we might be looking at 1 win. 

PistoldPete2

" only needing three wins"!! Bris mate this team continues to play like we did v Brentford and we might be looking at 1 win. 

I agree brentford was a horror show and we must not play that formation again. As I've said, bris has calculated we need 3 wins to make the play offs a mathematical certainty. A full strength Derby team should be capable of getting 3 wins , tho I doubt we would need to. 

Archived