who thinks england can win euro 2016

B4ev6is

Scenario 1: Derby lead Watford 1-0 after 5 minutes, but there is no guarantees of a positive result after that

Scenario 2: England win both Euro 2016 and the 2018 World Cup.

Guess which one I'd choose.

To clarify : People will say it's because I'm scottish, but the only international team I've ever 'supported' is England. I just don't get international football.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scenario 1: Derby lead Watford 1-0 after 5 minutes, but there is no guarantees of a positive result after that

To clarify : People will say it's because I'm scottish, but the only international team I've ever 'supported' is England. I just don't get international football.

​That is nuts talk..... Derby can be 1-0 up against Watford every season.....there is no one on this forum who wasn't alive when that happend......and we all will again on Friday..... but England to win a major championship.... only a few on here were alive to witness that.....and most probably we could easily never ever witness it again....

PistoldPete2

Lets face it, Italy aren't exactly world beaters are they... They were almost as bad as we were at the World Cup.

​That is nuts talk..... Derby can be 1-0 up against Watford every season.....there is no one on this forum who wasn't alive when that happend......and we all will again on Friday..... but England to win a major championship.... only a few on here were alive to witness that.....and most probably we could easily never ever witness it again....

I'd choose the same as you.

and that's not because I don't like England. I just don't get the attachment to international football. 

England winning the WC would mean the same to me as when they won the Rugby. A small fleeting interest. The same when they lose, I don't get a kick out of it. It's like watching the Rugby team lose. 

But i'm not like patriotic at all. I don't love this country. It's got its beauty and dirt like anywhere. It's all the same. A bloke from London means as much to me as a bloke from Cairo. Not that that has owt to do with football. Just on a political level I don't blindly support my country or feel any sense of pride. One of the nicest people I know is Turkish. If all Turkish people were like that I could happily live there. They're not. And we aren't a nation of top hat gents either. 

I don't get national pride. But I respect those that do I might add

Out of interest why do you support Derby?

As I-Ram says to his missus, a semi would be a fantastic achievement.

Win it all? I doubt it. The defence just isn't good enough. Unless an elite centre-half comes out of nowhere, Harry Kane style, we won't have much of a chance.

That said, we have some decent attacking pieces, good depth in midfield and a goalie who, on his day, is top 10 in the world. But a poor manager and bad defence will be our downfall.

Posh I have a knob made of titanium as you well know. I have read the first few posts on here, and there seems to be some hope and optimism. Believe me there is neither. England are still a poor side, and other than Rooney, and arguably Hart, we don't have players in Europe's top 50 imo.  Kane, Sterling, Barkley, etc., are nowhere near the finished articles. Not a Hodgson fan either. The best thing that can happen is that we do poorly, and we appoint a progressive coach to take a young team to the World Cup in 2018, with the Winter 2022 competition as the best possibility for us to give it a real go.  No doubt before long the FA will reward safe Roy with an extended contract for beating a few duff East European countries, and holding Italy B to a draw.

Posh I have a knob made of titanium as you well know. I have read the first few posts on here, and there seems to be some hope and optimism. Believe me there is neither. England are still a poor side, and other than Rooney, and arguably Hart, we don't have players in Europe's top 50 imo.  Kane, Sterling, Barkley, etc., are nowhere near the finished articles. Not a Hodgson fan either. The best thing that can happen is that we do poorly, and we appoint a progressive coach to take a young team to the World Cup in 2018, with the Winter 2022 competition as the best possibility for us to give it a real go.  No doubt before long the FA will reward safe Roy with an extended contract for beating a few duff East European countries, and holding Italy B to a draw.

:o

Agree with you here i-Ram. A progressive coach would be difficult to find - whilst I don't care where the manager comes from, I do think it's important that they know the English football system. Are there any tactically astute managers who'd actually take the job? (that rules out managers of the big clubs - e.g. couldn't see Rogers, Van Gaal, Mourinho, Wenger etc. leaving their comfy jobs to come and manage us)

Martinez would have been a good appointment after the World Cup, but Everton have fallen apart this season. I think we've got to rule out "results-based" managers like Allardyce and Pulis - hoofball is a thing of the past, and only works for teams with limited resources as a way of exploiting the market and having a cheap team do well. I'd say the best candidate right now would be Koeman (not sure if he'd take the job though - and again, gotta wait to make sure this season hasn't been a place). Second best - probably Garry Monk. Swansea have done pretty decently this year. After that, probably McClaren, although he's never going to get the England job back.

I do think we have some decent players but Roy needs to stop the policy of handing caps out for a quarter of a season's good play. Ryan Mason? Calum Chambers? There's talk of calling up Ibe as well now, which is absurd. 

It's a shame English players have this fear of going abroad. As it is, the talent is diluted, because there aren't enough starting spots for English players in the PL - in my opinion, it's better to be a starter in, say, Serie A, than be a benchwarmer in the PL. Greg Dyke's ridiculous new policy won't help either. Yes, more English players get to play, but they'll be playing in a worse quality of league that doesn't mirror international competition. We're hardly going to improve that way - instead, the focus needs to be on why  English players aren't good enough to start in the Premier League in the first place. Kuper and Szymanski did an excellent essay about it in their book Why England Lose.

Yes, we're entitled to have some optimism, but, at the end of the day, we're not going to win Euro 2016. We're dominating the weakest group - it's like boasting to your mates that you scored on a cruise for the over-70s. And Italy really aren't very good - they went out in the same group as us, remember - and we're suddenly all applauding the fact England struggled to a draw against them. It's sad that, in this day and age of little success for the national team, we have to applaud such pitiful "achievements".

A new, forward-thinking coach and a complete overhaul of the youth football system is needed if England are ever to achieve on an international level again.

Archived