who thinks england can win euro 2016

B4ev6is

Great post,I don't get why it's all of a sudden become fashionable to bash on England. If you go back to 2004 we built the team up beyond belief and then kicked off when we didn't get anywhere. Now it seems everyone is expecting instant failure.

English football for me feels like it's getting better. Especially at youth level. I've never seen such amazing technical ability with the 21's and there's some exciting prospects coming through the ranks. 

We are fair bit away from winning anything, but there's absolute no reason why we can't have a decent tournament at the Euros.

Euro 96 when we lost on penalties to Germany in the Semi's, it's hard to find the exact caps they had at the time as 5 went on to play in that Argentina game where Beckham was sent off grrr.

Seaman (75), Pearce (78), Adams (66), Southgate (57), Ince (53), Platt (62), Gascoigne (57), Shearer (63), Sheringham (51), Anderton (30), McManaman (37)

Total Caps: 629

To think, had Southgate not missed that penalty, I'm sure we would have gone on and beaten Czech Republic. 

To finish above Netherlands and beating them 4-1 as well, Van Der Sar, Davids, Kluivert, Bergkamp, De Boer, Seedorf, Stam etc.

All when we have an England team that are given time and experience.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro 96 when we lost on penalties to Germany in the Semi's, it's hard to find the exact caps they had at the time as 5 went on to play in that Argentina game where Beckham was sent off grrr.

Seaman (75), Pearce (78), Adams (66), Southgate (57), Ince (53), Platt (62), Gascoigne (57), Shearer (63), Sheringham (51), Anderton (30), McManaman (37)

Total Caps: 629

To think, had Southgate not missed that penalty, I'm sure we would have gone on and beaten Czech Republic. 

To finish above Netherlands and beating them 4-1 as well, Van Der Sar, Davids, Kluivert, Bergkamp, De Boer, Seedorf, Stam etc.

All when we have an England team that are given time and experience.

I'm hoping to still have my marbles for another 50 years, that's another 12 tournaments, no way am I writing England off.

Give a team time, have a Bale or Giggs born a couple hundred miles to the East, add one of those to a talented group of players and we'll be good to go. 

We're not going to win anything until the media - and fans by extension, they're buying the newspapers that do it - stop stabbing the national side in the back and start getting behind the team.

The players get criticised for not putting the effort in, but I think the opposite is true. The players care way too much, and the way they play is so contrived. We qualify well because it's the one time the players can relax a bit. You can say we play nonsense teams in qualifying as much as you like, but so do all the other big sides, and they're not as good as England at putting these sides away so professionally.

It's the first time in a long time I've actually enjoyed watching England play. I like seeing Delph with the ball, knowing he's about to do something brilliant or something awful, or watching Walcott go on a mazy, 9 times out of 10 putting a ball in Gary Teale would be disappointed with, but on that 10th time it's brilliant...

The "golden generation" was rarely good to watch because it was so frustrating. We had a side of good individuals, that's true, but they only shone at club level where they were vital cogs in carefully built sides with lots of other foreign talent, and for England they never worked together properly because you had to put square pegs in round holes to fit them all in. And I'm so, so happy to see the back of Steven Gerrard. I couldn't face another one of those "world-class" passes fired at James Miler's throat at 364mph with Andy Townsend telling me "that's what a player of his quality brings to this side".

It's worth having a look at the squad we won the aforementioned U-17 Championship with in 2010. Some biggish names in it; Johnstone,  Thorpe, Hall, Williams, McEachran, Chalobah, Berahino,  Will Keane, Barkley, Wickham, Coady, Garbutt, Pilatos, Gibson, Afobe, Butland, Wisdom and sweet baby George.

Good group that. Some of them deserve/deserved a chance in the top flight but aren't/didn't get a real chance. 

​The Premiershite don't give a flying f about the national team..... neither do any of the clubs in the Premiershite, i reckon if you asked any of the top teams supporters in there they would all say that the champions league is far more important than the world cup.

It's tragic.

Scenario 1: Derby lead Watford 1-0 after 5 minutes, but there is no guarantees of a positive result after that

Scenario 2: England win both Euro 2016 and the 2018 World Cup.

Guess which one I'd choose.

Hypothetically wanting your club to win more than you want England to win is fine.

It properly winds me up when fans say they don't want their players to get called up to the national team in case they get injured. It's also intensely irritating when idiots are unable to separate club loyalties from the national team and constantly slate England players who just happen to play for their club's rivals. I loved Stuart Pearce when he played for England. It never mattered to me what club he played for.

Archived