Defensive midfielders

Dimmu

We are obsessed with these, aren't we? We have sausaging lot of thread about Thorne, Omar and Eustace...

So I thought I'd like to know who is best one you've seen? What attributes do you appreciate most?

Makelele for me, Pirlo bubbling under. Two very different players but both amazing talents.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Makelele was first one to mind for me too. Made JT look good whilst he was still and inexperienced defender.

Tough tackling, covered plenty of ground, took up good positions and passed the ball on to the players who could play.

Perfect!

Makelele was first one to mind for me too. Made JT look good whilst he was still and inexperienced defender.

Tough tackling, covered plenty of ground, took up good positions and passed the ball on to the players who could play.

Perfect!

The very first once which made a big impression and highlighted the importance for me - during my lifetime - was Makelele. He was the key player during Real Madrid's Galactico era.

Nowadays, there are loads of players about but my favourite is Sergio Busquets. Simply world class in everything, and such an intelligent player. I didn't like his previous diving, but he's cut that out over the past couple of years. The guy even broke his foot the other week and came off smiling, such a team player.

But other players such as Xabi Alonso, Javi Martinez, Andrea Pirlo get honourable mentions.

There are others, such as Schweinsteiger, Modric, Pjanic, Kroos, Xavi but these aren't really typically defensive midfielders though they can play there well - espeically Modric.

I reckon the best DM in England at the moment is Matic, followed by Coquelin and then probably Carrick. Shows how little quality there is about with those 3 as the PL's finest.

Over the years, Bryan Robson, David Batty, Tim Sherwood, Paul Ince, Nicky Butt, Emanuelle Petit,  Vieira, Essien, Mascherano, right now I'm looking forward to.watching which way Arron Ramsey goes as midfielder. Gary Speed was good too. 

Archived