So we dont get promoted, then what??

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve McClaren as had more money to spend than Clough did, even the U21 / U18's  have players who have been bought, he has also given out bigger contracts to first team players and I am sure they will be higher wages, I think the owners have spent a lot and expect to go up, I just hope that if we don't go up we don't end up with another clough trying to save money and selling the best players, but then again I don't see any clubs knocking on the door to buy them, and I think McClaren will go if we go up or not.

We will probably be playing Leicester and Forest next season if we don't go up other than that who knows can't see us going into administration probably will be bobbling around the playoffs and will be good company for all the other teams whose supporters think they have a divine right to be in the Premiership 

So we stay down what would the side be for the first game based on current formation:

Grant or Roos

A new right back for defo

Raul

Maybe Bucko but defo not Keogh

Forsyth

Georgy T

New signing to replace Hughesy

Hendrick or Bryson

Russell unless he gets snapped up by bournemouth would love Incey but no go up = no incey

Bennett/ Calero or new signing

hopefully Chrissy M stops

So best case scenario is £10M to buy RB, CM and probably a CD to partner Raul

Who says the board haven't gambled next seasons transfer kitty on the number of expensive loan signings we've had in this season to get us promoted 

Unfortunately (and this kills the point of the forum) we have no idea. 

I fear for us if we fail this time. Mentally I think it would need an overhall as 2 failures would destroy certain players. On the other hand, would that be a bad thing? They clearly weren't good enough so why would we fear their departure?

I was a massive anti Clougher, but never saw him getting fired after forest, and never saw Macca coming in. I think only a liar would say they foresaw that. 

Could get an average journeyman manager that does nothing but take us backward, or could unearth a gem that takes us to the promised land. 

**** knows. 

Lets just get promoted though. Faffing is doing my head in. 

If we don't then, we will be stuck with the same defence

Might lose Hughes-probably

No Bent, No Ince

McClaren will still be here

Possibly lose CM to a team that does go up.....

The owners will have to decide whether they should be investing for serious promotion push 2015/16..........

We are currently second, are due to play all those teams around us, beat them and we are up -simples.......so its not doom and gloom just yet!

I think people forget 3 quality teams come down every year and at least half of the league fancy there chances at the start of the season. This league gets harder year on year, I'm very nervous for what will happen if we don't go up. We've invested a lot on loan signings. Hughes will 100% be snapped up if we don't go up. Promotion or a few bad seasons ahead I think.

We'll probably sell Hughes, use the money to bring in better players in certain areas and finish in the top two alongside Leicester City next season.

You could pose this question to any one of Bournemouth, Boro and Norwich as each will fear an asset strip similar to Brighton if they don't make it too.

The only team you can guarantee that won't be affected by not going is up Watford because 90% of their squad will be subsidised from Granada and Udinese anyway.

I know it's kind of obvious, but at least we know which areas of the team need improving and we have assets to sell if we're worried about money.

I expect little change. However, it's difficult to tell. The players were all binded by long contracts so there is little chance of a exodus. 

Hughes is perhaps the only one that could pull the money we would want, but West Ham reportedly want Christie, so it's hard to call which teams want certain players.

I can see Ince signing up regardless of what division. Bent, due to him being out of contact, will probably get premier league team. Lingard will leave and I expect Mascarell too, also.

At the very worst, barring injuries, we could still line up:

Grant; Shotton, Keogh, Albentosa, Forsyth; Thorne, Hendrick, Bryson; Dawkins, Russell and Martin.

That's with Premier League moves for Christie and Hughes, all out of contract players moved on and no loans to stay - not to mention no signings at all.

If we stay down McClaren wouldn't be desirable. It's seems as if we've pushed the boat out for promotion and have the strongest squad in the division, so it would be deemed as a failure. It would certainly put club's off paying the huge compensation package we would demand and his potential wages that we could look to match. If Brentford make the play-offs, or even win promotion, then an out of contract Mark Warburton looks a far better option that McClaren to the outside world. 

oh my god or "O-M-G" as my daughter says, we are going up, I would hate to see the replies if we were mid-table, we are the real deal, every team can have a blip and this is ours, we will be fine, I remember watching them in the old div 3 not top of the championship and we were more optimistic, mac is going nowhere especially not to the geordies, its a poisoned challis and nobody wants to take that on with the cockney mafia pulling the strings.

chill out boys please this will rub onto the players...

Not entirely sure about McClaren- If he gets an offer from Newcastle then I think he may well go, but will that offer come in if we don't go up? As has been said on here, two play off failures isn't boosting your CV. Would be worried if he did go though, that would almost certainly mean the exit of Steele and Simpson too, who have been fundamental to our upturn in the last 18 months.

As for players, Hughes would defintely leave, hopefully we would get more than £10m, although if Zaha can go for £12m I'd say we should get closer to £20m ;)

Russell would probably go to somewhere like Celtic. Heard West Ham want Christie, they can take him! Martin may go to a team that get promoted, although I'm not convinced his style of play would suit the Prem. You can get stuck in and bully Rotherham's defence, but refs are less willing to let you harry Chelsea's defence in the same way. Vardy is a similar kind of player and he's really struggled this year. Hopefully Thorne would stay for at least another season, he would owe us that much at least.

I'd say that's most of our key players/staff that we own, obviously we wouldn't get any of our current loan signings. Hendrick is over-rated and I would cash in if a silly offer (over £2.5m) comes in.

Not entirely sure about McClaren- If he gets an offer from Newcastle then I think he may well go, but will that offer come in if we don't go up? As has been said on here, two play off failures isn't boosting your CV. Would be worried if he did go though, that would almost certainly mean the exit of Steele and Simpson too, who have been fundamental to our upturn in the last 18 months.

As for players, Hughes would defintely leave, hopefully we would get more than £10m, although if Zaha can go for £12m I'd say we should get closer to £20m ;)

Russell would probably go to somewhere like Celtic. Heard West Ham want Christie, they can take him! Martin may go to a team that get promoted, although I'm not convinced his style of play would suit the Prem. You can get stuck in and bully Rotherham's defence, but refs are less willing to let you harry Chelsea's defence in the same way. Vardy is a similar kind of player and he's really struggled this year. Hopefully Thorne would stay for at least another season, he would owe us that much at least.

I'd say that's most of our key players/staff that we own, obviously we wouldn't get any of our current loan signings. Hendrick is over-rated and I would cash in if a silly offer (over £2.5m) comes in.

Archived