Starting a business

PrivateDerby

Basically looking for a bit of advice and hopefully someone with a bit of experience to answer a couple of basic (thick) questions.

My girlfriend is ready to roll with her business, she's spent a good few years getting everything spot on to a point where she's confident enough to put it out there. 

She's now navigating her way through the start up process but has come up against the following -

1) The company name she wants is taken, BUT the company has gone into liquidation. Is there anyway of getting it off them? (cruel I know)

2) How do you go about getting a domain name if that's been taken but there's no such website? 

I said to come up with another but it is pretty good, even Theeeeoo the dragon said so at some shitty business event she went to in Leeds.

As you can tell, I stupidly said i'd look into it for her as she's fooking useless at this sort of thing, problem is so am I so any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I successfully run a couple of businesses out here in Japan and ran a couple when I used to live in the UK.

Why would she want to take an old company name and particularly one that has gone into liquidation? If her businesses venture is up to scratch, then surely she would be better off given it a nice contemporary name as a pose to something that was out there and is likely to carry the kind of baggage that would exist with a company that has been liquidated. 

The same with the website. Come up with something original. 

in both cases just change the spelling slightly.

for the website you've also got the choice of .co.uk., .uk , .com. Etc etc 

You would have to contact the old owners or liquidators etc to negotiate a sale.  I think under the circumstances they may want to get best price as you'll be the only ones interested no doubt.

As already said, an original name is always good, one associated with a failed company may put some off, unless it's totally unrelated to the new business area your missus is starting up.

if your just sole trading I think you can call your business what you like, if you do go limited like myself, then you do have to be original, or have (midlands) in the title maybe?

All sorted! Thanks for the replies,  she spoke to companies house and they advised her just add a word to it which works well. 

For example she wanted PD Limited but now it's PD Turf Limited if that makes sense? It's been accepted anyway. 

Hopefully it takes off, we can buy the bloody yanks out and bring Clough back. 

All sorted! Thanks for the replies,  she spoke to companies house and they advised her just add a word to it which works well. 

For example she wanted PD Limited but now it's PD Turf Limited if that makes sense? It's been accepted anyway. 

Hopefully it takes off, we can buy the bloody yanks out and bring Clough back. 

• 1 month later...

Is there any regulations that would make it difficult to start a business there if you are not from England ?

No, not at all. If you're an illegal immigrant, even better, showing that determination and nous to get here holds you in better stead.

Archived