Assembly Rooms to be demolished

http://www.derbyarena.uk.com/

If any of you pop in on a weekend, come and say hi, but if any of you make a mess, I'll kick you right over the I-pro.

Xxxxx

A couple of facts for ya's.

The cycling track is made from 26 miles worth of Canadian cedar wood, (website says it's Siberian spruce :wacko: though) and it is one of only 2 tracks in the whole of Europe which is elevated, built off the floor. It's quite impressive actually.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has the capacity to hold 5000 ppl for a concert, it has a great sound system and not that I know everything there is to know about acoustics, it sounds bloody good to me. 

They have tons of collapsable seats, that look a bit like grandstands when assembled, so these can be moved onto the infield, along with a stage. The floor can be covered to protect the surface when hosting events, and from what I've seen, there is a lighting system. It all worked really well when Derby Uni had their graduation ceremonies there last month, the organisers went away impressed because it's not a velodrome, it's an arena, so provides more possibilities.

We'll see how it works out but the signs are promising. Go along for the open weekend, theres someone there to answer everybody's questions.

Ps, I'm the one in white ;)

http://www.derbyarena.uk.com/

If any of you pop in on a weekend, come and say hi, but if any of you make a mess, I'll kick you right over the I-pro.

Xxxxx

A couple of facts for ya's.

The cycling track is made from 26 miles worth of Canadian cedar wood, (website says it's Siberian spruce :wacko: though) and it is one of only 2 tracks in the whole of Europe which is elevated, built off the floor. It's quite impressive actually.

It has the capacity to hold 5000 ppl for a concert, it has a great sound system and not that I know everything there is to know about acoustics, it sounds bloody good to me. 

They have tons of collapsable seats, that look a bit like grandstands when assembled, so these can be moved onto the infield, along with a stage. The floor can be covered to protect the surface when hosting events, and from what I've seen, there is a lighting system. It all worked really well when Derby Uni had their graduation ceremonies there last month, the organisers went away impressed because it's not a velodrome, it's an arena, so provides more possibilities.

We'll see how it works out but the signs are promising. Go along for the open weekend, theres someone there to answer everybody's questions.

Ps, I'm the one in white ;)

​Sounds really good then. I park next to it every day, and it looks great. But I still say that a purpose built theatre building would trump a multi purpose arena every time for concerts etc.

i just want to be bette than Nottingham. Are we better than Nottingham yet? Off the top of my head (and I'm no expert, they probably have a million venues I don't know about, I try to steer clear myself) the Velodrome is better than the Ice Rink, but their theatre is million times better than the play house. So we need a concert venue that is better than Rock City. Then they can kiss our arse, and all the good acts will come here instead.

​Sounds really good then. I park next to it every day, and it looks great. But I still say that a purpose built theatre building would trump a multi purpose arena every time for concerts etc.

i just want to be bette than Nottingham. Are we better than Nottingham yet? Off the top of my head (and I'm no expert, they probably have a million venues I don't know about, I try to steer clear myself) the Velodrome is better than the Ice Rink, but their theatre is million times better than the play house. So we need a concert venue that is better than Rock City. Then they can kiss our arse, and all the good acts will come here instead.

​looks great..... is the wood ok for international events...we were told that they had done it on the cheap and the wood wasn't of the right spec..?

Wiki

Velodrome tracks can be surfaced with different materials, including timber, synthetics and concrete. Shorter, newer, and Olympic quality tracks tend to be timber or synthetics; longer, older, or inexpensive tracks are concrete, macadam, or even cinder.

Went to see some great gigs at the assembly rooms though.... Highlights include:-

the wedding present in their paper suits

eddie coming on during iron maiden

the inspiral carpets-just for the company

bob geldof getting me on stage

the beautiful South being beautiful

I'm not a fan tbh but I have to cover events so I'll be in. Want paying triple time mind, if I've got to listen to him, I think that's fair.

Tell you what, I've never watched live cycling until this weekend and it's amazing. Riders flying round at such fast speeds and the only thing you can hear is the air going over them. I was enjoying watching the youngsters (about 15 they were) racing each other in pairs, then one lad came off, knackered his arm/shoulder, lost his consciousness for a bit, along with 2 teeth and was taken to hospital. 

I guess Chris Hoy didn't get to where he is without a few injuries but that sport is brutal if it goes wrong. I hope he's back soon and doing ok but it wasn't nice to see him a bit broken.

• 2 weeks later...

Wtf are councils doing building buildings that have 50 or 60 year life expectancies? Sick of the cheap, tacky building materials used for everything today from supermarkets to identikit new houses. All built for max profit and cost skimping. Costs way more in the long run. Id buy a Vicotorian house every time over the cheap tat thrown up today.

Wtf are councils doing building buildings that have 50 or 60 year life expectancies? Sick of the cheap, tacky building materials used for everything today from supermarkets to identikit new houses. All built for max profit and cost skimping. Costs way more in the long run. Id buy a Vicotorian house every time over the cheap tat thrown up today.

PistoldPete2

Councils have a long track record of not maintaining buildings. I've noticed the carpets too.. How the f### can u expect a showpiece building to be attractive if you don't change the carpets after 40 odd years despite thousands of people treading on them every day... I hope th e new arena can be an attraction but they need to maintain it. 

Archived