Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

On 03/07/2023 at 10:25, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Tyson was a beast, then stopped training and went partying.  No-one would live with him unless they got past 4 rounds when he would burn out.   If he'd not done the partying know one would have got to the 4th round, Lewis included.  With Frazier, I think it was his pure detest of Ali that kept him upright even when he risked blindness in their 3rd fight.  He was a slugger with an engine for me .  A big hitter like Foreman totally obliterated him.

Tyson and Lewis peaked at different ages Tyson was world champion in 1986 Lewis didn’t turn pro until after the 1988 olympics even though Lewis is nearly a year older than Tyson. Tyson became world champion when the heavyweight division was very poor, that’s not Tyson’s fault but I think for 2 or 3 years he could get away with his outside excesses if it had been a strong division he may have retained his focus for longer. Lewis was a huge man with great right hand and superb boxing skills that took longer to come to the fore where as Tyson was fast and powerful. Lewis lost twice once when he had that clown Pepe Correa training him against McCall and when he didn’t prepare properly for the Rahman fight (filming oceans 12 I think). He avenged both defeats

Once Lewis teamed up with Manny Steward he went up a level or two. I’d take peak Lewis to beat peak Tyson but that’s only my opinion when they did fight they were both past their best and Lewis gave him a proper beating. I think Lewis could’ve knocked him out whenever he wanted but wanted to give him a good hiding due to all the crap Tyson did pre fight 

On 03/07/2023 at 09:10, BaaLocks said:

Yeah he was pretty complete, Tyson up to (and including) the Michael Spinks fight was pretty impressive but I have a feeling prime Lewis would have handled him. Holyfield is the only other that really comes close. I'm just a few years too young for prime Ali but the one boxer I think you could put in a ring, any era, and he'd be world class is Joe Frazier. He'd have mixed it just as well with Dempsey as he would with Usyk 

Yep I often get people think I’m stupid when I say that Holyfield is right up there in terms of the greats but I really rate him

Joshua v Whyte and Usyk v Dubious in August then. 

Hearn said Wilder v AJ is locked in. So that means despite AJ being a level ahead of Whyte he's going to lose/break his hand. 

Fury is going to announce a "not show stopping but game changing event" according to Frank. 

So Ngannou then. Considering Tommy Fury is fighting FIFA players and Mayweather fights anybody who has a Twitter account it doesn't seem like a game changer to me. 

It’s crazy to think AJ will have probably fought three boxers in the time that Fury last faced an actual boxer in Derek Chisora.

The WBC need to grow a pair. Order Fury to fight Usyk or strip him of the belt.

Usyk deserves a shot to become undisputed before the belts should be split up to force more action.

Another weight group that seems to have died is welterweight 147. Five years ago it had a raft of top names like Pacquiao, Brook, Khan, Maidana, Thurman, Spence, Porter, Garcia. And that was coming off the back of Mayweather, Marquez, Mosley, Cotto.

Now there is Spence and Crawford, and that’s it.

Six years ago Thurman beat Danny Garcia to become unified. He’s only had 3 fights since. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like we actually have a proper fight this weekend, one with two best in class going against each other and no Tik Tok trash talking trying to big up the dodge like we're seeing all across the heaveyweights. Really hard to see past Crawford for me, his footwork is just on another level, but that really is saying something that Spence (for me) comes into any fight as an underdog. Have a feeling this ones going to be an absolute belter - Crawford on points.

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

Looks like we actually have a proper fight this weekend, one with two best in class going against each other and no Tik Tok trash talking trying to big up the dodge like we're seeing all across the heaveyweights. Really hard to see past Crawford for me, his footwork is just on another level, but that really is saying something that Spence (for me) comes into any fight as an underdog. Have a feeling this ones going to be an absolute belter - Crawford on points.

Did you see Inoue vs Fulton last weekend? Absolutely incredible from Inoue, easily the best P4P boxer currently. Went up a weight, no tune ups, no faffing about, straight into the taller, longer reach champ and outclassed him for 8 rounds before the ref stopped it. Unbelievable fighter. 

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

Did you see Inoue vs Fulton last weekend? Absolutely incredible from Inoue, easily the best P4P boxer currently. Went up a weight, no tune ups, no faffing about, straight into the taller, longer reach champ and outclassed him for 8 rounds before the ref stopped it. Unbelievable fighter. 

Yup, good call and great fight. Inoue has some class about him - same as when he beat Jamie McDonnell he throws the punch as the distractor and then moves around and throws the killer shot before the opponent knows what's going on. And to get the KO rate he's getting at the weight he's fighting - wow!

Crawford has to be the P4P king right now

He took one round to have a look at Spence and then systematically pulled him apart and got him out of there. 

There'll be a rematch but I think this was as conclusive as Bivol Vs Canelo. There's nothing Spence can do. He brought his best but it wasn't even close. I think if anyone saw Spence winning it was by being aggressive and bullying. Using his incredible work rate to smother Crawford's clean style. 

Crawford is a master his craft. It's scary how comfortable he is all the time. 

Edited by Alpha

I think Crawford would beat prime Mayweather on accuracy and punch volume. I don’t recall seeing a more accurate puncher. 

That said, Mayweather was in a far better Welterweight division.

There is a real lack of talent between 147 and 160. I’d back Bud to beat anyone up until 168.

21 hours ago, Alpha said:

Crawford has to be the P4P king right now

He took one round to have a look at Spence and then systematically pulled him apart and got him out of there. 

There'll be a rematch but I think this was as conclusive as Bivol Vs Canelo. There's nothing Spence can do. He brought his best but it wasn't even close. I think if anyone saw Spence winning it was by being aggressive and bullying. Using his incredible work rate to smother Crawford's clean style. 

Crawford is a master his craft. It's scary how comfortable he is all the time. 

That was something else - easy to forget how good Spence is as a boxer and, as you said, Crawford took him to pieces round by round. After the first knockdown he was just never in it and he looked like anything but a top ten P4P fighter that he was going into the ring.

What's hard to work out about any rematch is that fight wasn't even Crawford doing his usual thing. We all thought Crawford would be on the back foot and counter yet he did the opposite from about round three on. So even if Spence does find a way to push him back he's then got to work out how to avoid Crawford's counter.

Amazing! I don't think I can recall a fight since maybe the third Duran Leonard fight where a respected (indeed great) boxer has been made to look just so ordinary.

It's funny how unheralded the Crawford / Spence fight was, given the quality and respective records of the fighters. The result was no surprise to most, but the manner of victory (as others have pointed out), most certainly was, to yours truly, anyway.

Re-match next? Most likely, but if I were Spence's manager / trainer, I'd be avoiding Crawford like the proverbial plague as Crawford, with this outing under his belt, would doubtless treat Spence in much the same way a cat treats a cornered mouse. Money will no doubt be the driver, one way, or t'other.

Quick word on Naoya Inoue; this lad's a fookin superstar with his almost freakish ability to carry power through divisions, yet he remains somewhat unheralded despite being right there with the likes of Crawford in the P4P rankings. Unlike some, he'll fight anyone too. Predictably, the Gervonta Davis crew telling everyone he'd destroy Inoue. It'd be a fight to savour, that's for sure and unlike the HW's, some of these these fights are getting made in the lower divisions. Hmmm...

The worry for Spence is every time he put good work in and connected a decent shot that the power was taken out of it by Crawford smashing an even cleaner shot it. 

Spence got dropped once or was it twice while doing some good work. 

How do you even fix that? Crawford counter punching is unbelievable. Is he one of those fighters that can only be beaten by going up in weight? Like Canelo. 

I hope the rematch happens though. I like both guys and I can't imagine how they could have a boring scrap. 

3 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Amazing. So we can't get the HW to take the big fights

And now they can't do the secondary fights. 

Yes! More opportunity to top 5 elites Vs top 80 Latvian brick layers! Take my money!!

They’re all going to be shot away by forty. Not sure why they don’t let them take drugs and be done with it. The sport already has zero integrity.