Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

21 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

It's a tad painful throwing punches with a broken hand ?

Yeah of course, but this is for a shot at Canelo. I just expected him to put up more of a fight instead of giving up straight away, especially because of the magnitude of the fight.

7 hours ago, Jubbs said:

Yeah of course, but this is for a shot at Canelo. I just expected him to put up more of a fight instead of giving up straight away, especially because of the magnitude of the fight.

To much of the fight remaining to stand any chance of winning and the risk of doing irreparable damage. Not worth it to my way of thinking. He's still got a good career ahead of him and if I was in his corner I'd have pulled him in a heartbeat. It's very easy to say what fighters should and shouldn't do from outside the ring and I get where you're coming from, but I think the right call was made tbh. It's a huge risk you're expecting him to take and he'll not be shuffled down the ladder given the circumstances of this 'loss'.

Also, not entirely convinced Canelo will be fighting too much longer anyway given the rumblings about a rematch with Bivol, which if I were his team, I'd avoid like the proverbial plague. Again, I get what you're saying, but it's still not a big enough lure to warrant damage that could end up as a permanent hindrance. Hands and feet can be slow and tricky to heal at the best of times. Maybe I'm being a bit of a Jessie but I've broken a good few bones playing rugby and they all hurt like fook ?

On 26/11/2022 at 08:55, 86 Hair Islands said:

Are we talking about the same fighter? No disrespect to Liam, whom I've backed in his last two fights, but he doesn't do footwork. He adopts a wide stance, he fights off his heels, not his toes and typically marches forward from the middle of the ring. He's incredibly durable and a hateful puncher, but I must have missed this 'footwork' you reference.

For my money, assuming all is well with Junior after trimming down for the Benn fight, I can only see one winner and I've taken the 8/11 accordingly. To my mind, Eubank is a 1/2 shot and come the night, that's how I expect the fight to be priced. There'll likely be some 7/4 or thereabouts for Liam, so if you think he'll win you'll be loving that price.

@Alpha what's your take on this one mate?

Heavy support for Eubank and he's now as short as 4/11 from an opening show of 8/11. That 2/1 price for Smith is already available @BaaLocks Will look huge if he wins, but the more I think about it, the less chance I think he has. 

17 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Heavy support for Eubank and he's now as short as 4/11 from an opening show of 8/11. That 2/1 price for Smith is already available @BaaLocks Will look huge if he wins, but the more I think about it, the less chance I think he has. 

Yeah, I'm starting to think I might have gone a bit bold on this one. I also think I might have got him a bit confused with his brother Callum. Either that or, more probably, I just don't know what I'm on about.

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Yeah, I'm starting to think I might have gone a bit bold on this one. I also think I might have got him a bit confused with his brother Callum. Either that or, more probably, I just don't know what I'm on about.

In fairness he's looked good recently. I particularly loved the way he just hunted down Vargas. To my eye though, if he does that with Eubank he's asking for some serious bother. Sadly for Liam, I think he's tailor-made for Junior and I also fear that the latter will vent his frustration over the Benn fiasco on Liam too. The latter has looked granite at times, but I fear that chin of his will be sorely tested in January.

• 1 month later...
On 30/11/2022 at 15:40, 86 Hair Islands said:

In fairness he's looked good recently. I particularly loved the way he just hunted down Vargas. To my eye though, if he does that with Eubank he's asking for some serious bother. Sadly for Liam, I think he's tailor-made for Junior and I also fear that the latter will vent his frustration over the Benn fiasco on Liam too. The latter has looked granite at times, but I fear that chin of his will be sorely tested in January.

I think Eubank is favourite in terms of being the naturally bigger of the two and he has a decent chin, if he was facing the younger brother I couldn’t see him winning it , in my view Eubank is solid at British and European level but lacking at world level , he doesn’t have the one punch power his dad had but has too often tried to box like his dad instead of using the good engine he has and throwing volume coupled with his decent chin

Edited by Archied

10 minutes ago, Archied said:

I think Eubank is favourite in terms of being the naturally bigger of the two and he has a decent chin, if he was facing the younger brother I couldn’t see him winning it , in my view Eubank is solid at British and European level but lacking at world level , he doesn’t have the one punch power his dad had but has too often tried to box like his dad instead of using the good engine he has and throwing volume coupled with his decent chin

His old man was a killer masquerading as a gentleman. Junior is a gentleman masquerading as a killer. Have to admit that he's kind of grown on me. I never really bought the panto villain stuff anyway but the lad's got a sense of humour for sure.

image.png.613a7fad2dbea9a97cca434d263a2102.png

Tank vs Garcia looks like contracts are being signed.

Loma vs Haney apparently pushing for May fight.

These are two great fights for boxing. Personally would stay up to watch both.

Regarding Usyk vs Fury, Frank saying they won't accept a 50/50 despite Usyk holding more belts and being a very similar size draw is bonkers. I personally can't stand Fury and his constant bull. Everything he ever says is a lie and honestly can't stand it. It's funny that his team are saying they won't accept a 50/50 split, but according to Fury he's not in it for the money...

2 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

His old man was a killer masquerading as a gentleman. Junior is a gentleman masquerading as a killer. Have to admit that he's kind of grown on me. I never really bought the panto villain stuff anyway but the lad's got a sense of humour for sure.

Yep I would say that pretty much nails it , the old man was one tough fighter 

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

Tank vs Garcia looks like contracts are being signed.

Loma vs Haney apparently pushing for May fight.

These are two great fights for boxing. Personally would stay up to watch both.

Regarding Usyk vs Fury, Frank saying they won't accept a 50/50 despite Usyk holding more belts and being a very similar size draw is bonkers. I personally can't stand Fury and his constant bull. Everything he ever says is a lie and honestly can't stand it. It's funny that his team are saying they won't accept a 50/50 split, but according to Fury he's not in it for the money...

Obviously we need to see the usyk fury fight because they are top two but I really don’t see usyk having a chance much as I really like him and think he is quality, fury is too big and has the kind of skills to make that advantage count 

22 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

The punch that took out Michael Watson is one of the best ( and most tragic ) I’ve seen. 

It was some fight ,, I don’t think Eubank was ever quite the same in the ring after that fight

the Eubank Carl Thompson was brutal too ,,, 

do you remember the Welshman Colin Jones? He was one hard bloke

5 minutes ago, Archied said:

It was some fight ,, I don’t think Eubank was ever quite the same in the ring after that fight

the Eubank Carl Thompson was brutal too ,,, 

do you remember the Welshman Colin Jones? He was one hard bloke

No one could ever accuse Eubank of avoiding fights. The ones with Benn brutal, Collins and Calzaghe although as you say he wasn’t the same fighter then after Watson it affected him I’m sure. 
Yes Jones tough as nails . 

Some silly pre-fight chat going on, especially from Smith whom I respect and thought was better than that to be honest. There's enough edge to this fight without the slurs as these guys genuinely don't like or respect one another, so hopefully that's the last of it and they just STFU and let their gloves do the talking from here on out. It's a side of boxing I really don't like, but it's become the norm now and it's not a good look.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/64337380

12 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Some silly pre-fight chat going on, especially from Smith whom I respect and thought was better than that to be honest. There's enough edge to this fight without the slurs as these guys genuinely don't like or respect one another, so hopefully that's the last of it and they just STFU and let their gloves do the talking from here on out. It's a side of boxing I really don't like, but it's become the norm now and it's not a good look.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/64337380

Think it’s clear Eubank has got under his skin which along with selling the fight (ppv ) may affect how smith approaches the fight in terms of boxing skills v angry recklessness,

I agree though , proper fights don’t need the hard sell and it’s all a bit wrestling script , there’s nothing better than two fighters who act respectfully and you just know it’s a proper match up 

On 18/01/2023 at 15:44, 86 Hair Islands said:

I think he's a great troll. 

For some reason he got pegged as the villain early on and now he seems to just enjoy trolling the haters. 

Even the "I thought Bellew was the biggest A-Hole to come out of Liverpool but Liam Smith is trying hard" (or similar words to that effect) made me laugh. 

That's one of the best descriptions I've seen by the way. Snr killer disguised as gentleman and Jnr the other way. Ultimately I think that's why as @Archiedsays, he just gonna fall short of being a serious world elite. He'd make anyone work hard though. 

Ever since Groves gave him a deserved spanking I've liked him more and more. Be hoping for a win here too. 

Edited by Alpha

On 18/01/2023 at 18:54, CWC1983 said:

I got a ticket for Wood v Lara in the Nottingham arena next month. 

Should be a good fight and hopefully lead onto a fight with Warrington at the city ground in the summer. 

I would very much like to see Warrington take a good thrashing in the summer. Horrible runt

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

I think he's a great troll. 

For some reason he got pegged as the villain early on and now he seems to just enjoy trolling the haters. 

Even the "I thought Bellew was the biggest A-Hole to come out of Liverpool but Liam Smith is trying hard" (or similar words to that effect) made me laugh. 

That's one of the best descriptions I've seen by the way. Snr killer disguised as gentleman and Jnr the other way. Ultimately I think that's why as @Archiedsays, he just gonna fall short of being a serious world elite. He'd make anyone work hard though. 

Ever since Groves gave him a deserved spanking I've liked him more and more. Be hoping for a win here too. 

Personally I would like smith to win it ( though he was over the top yesterday) for me he’s been a far more honest pro over the years , fought anyone and not called out people he is in no rush to get in the ring with where as with Eubank he’s been clever enough not to actually share a ring with the real big boys who I believe would expose him but making big noises about them not looking to fight him,

kell Brooke got in with the bigger triple g ( mistake and messed up his career in my opinion ) when really that was filling in for Eubank who made all the fuss but in no rush to get the fight made , he’s been similar around canelo,

he’s been very good at making lesser fights seem bigger and more of a money spinner 

Edited by Archied