Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

6 hours ago, MaltRam said:

Rematch now has a selling point and some gravity. A cynic might suggest?

Anyone who saw it have a take on how likely the controversy was pre-meditated? Or am I doing a massive disservice to Ngannou?

My feeling was Fury arrived thinking he'd mess him about for 3 or 4 rounds and then try and take him out in 5 or 6...or if he was durable just prove he was better and then let him take the full 10 rounds.

But he got the surprise of his life.  He was quicker and  snappier and Fury looked incredibly sluggish. When he tried to step it up Ngannou just kept catching him and seeming to hurt him. He was also much stronger in the grappling than Fury expected. 

Fury then realised he needed to properly assert himself and take risks to actually beat him and didn't want to risk getting knocked out.

Ngannou didn't tire and he didn't rush in.

Fury will probably think if they fought again he'd apply himself and win but who knows.

Carl Frampton's reaction was similar to mine in that he genuinely couldn't believe how ordinary Fury was made to look.

MMA was the huge winner last night.

Edited by Chester40

Fury got what he deserved. I'm a fan of Fury but you go off doing these exhibitions instead of making big fights then I love to see them troubled. 

Everyone will call out Ngannou now. And they will see a chance to make a massive statement. 

The best of the crossover fights so far. Not that should be seen as an achievement.

Was saying to my mate at the start of the 10th, Ngannou has won this, but won't win it unless he can get the KO.

Just how it is, for Ngannou, he lost but won anyway and will have no problem finding another opponent in the ring.

So it seems that when you pick an MMA fighter who is A) not washed up, B) not a pure grappler and C) has striking skills, they can more than trouble some of the boxers. In this case an unbeaten HW champion.

Sadly, what can also be seen is how this one fight was a microcosm of everything that ffin stinks about pro boxing. One of the worst decisions I've seen in forever. I'll just pick and choose fights in future, as the game has more or less gone. I note the fight with Usyk is already postponed too. Frank Warren can go eat a bowl of chubbies.

On 29/10/2023 at 01:00, Bris Vegas said:

But boxing shouldn’t be recognised as a sport. How can it be?

It’s an entertainment business and the money follows the most popular, not the most talented.

Proffesional boxing maybe! Amateur boxing is a sport!

I havent watched the fight, listened to it on the radio and seen a few clips, highlights!

I wouldnt read too much into it tbh! Fury has a habit of saying bull! For wilder he was saying hes a dosser, when he was clearly dangerous and he was saying derek was dangerous when he clearly wasnt lol! He said he only trains for 6 weeks in a serious fight when i doubt that very much and for this he was saying hes been training for 12 weeks 🙄 wish i doubt lol!

So i reckon he aint really trained for it and has been inactive so probs wanted to go the distance and get the rounds in for usyk!

Nganou was decent for his first boxing fight and can clearly bang! Is what it is, very tough 10 round spar for fury if you ask me in his training camp for usyk!

Risky though by fury as head clash or cut could ruin a massive fight! Usyk fight probs pushed back to january now though! Depends!

• 3 weeks later...

Fury v Usyk in Feb. 

These Saudis are never getting the money back they must be paying for these events but jeez, finally fights are getting made. 

A lot are annoyed it isn't AJ Wilder but I think it's smart from the Saudis to run this card. They definitely seem to be willing to pay out for the big fights and AJ and Wilder could both do with a booster. So let's hope both win and we get that. 

Joshua is being an absolute knob and I love it. For too long he didn't have anything to prove and now he finally is back in that place. 

7 hours ago, Alpha said:

Anyone else feeling a little bit better about human rights violations if it gives us a card like the Saudi one on the 23rd December? 

On the night, I'm going to feel more guilty about making my missus upset about me watching boxing all nihght on the last Sat before Christmas than I am about Yemen, murdered critics and downtrodden minorities, tbh.

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

Fury v Usyk in Feb. 

These Saudis are never getting the money back they must be paying for these events but jeez, finally fights are getting made. 

A lot are annoyed it isn't AJ Wilder but I think it's smart from the Saudis to run this card. They definitely seem to be willing to pay out for the big fights and AJ and Wilder could both do with a booster. So let's hope both win and we get that. 

Joshua is being an absolute knob and I love it. For too long he didn't have anything to prove and now he finally is back in that place. 

I really ought to feel excited, but oddly I've got a severe case of CBA, but don't know why. Feels like we've been waiting for years and even now the AJ-Wilder fight has been ringfenced for another lucrative night out for all concerned. It has the feel of a collective of very wealthy fighter and promoters squeezing the last pips out of fight fans before heading West with their coffers truly stuffed.

Not gonna lie, but that same reasoning still allows me to be pissed that the Saudis are staging these fights, but that tells you all you need to know about the fight game these days. That said, probably I'll cave and tune in, so perhaps I'm just being an uppity dick about it all. What really grates for me, is that for all the sound and fury (excuse pun), this is a very hollow division with a man at the top who just took a pasting from an MMA fighter. 

Just realised how grumpy I'm being. I'll f*** off now 🤣

19 minutes ago, MaltRam said:

On the night, I'm going to feel more guilty about making my missus upset about me watching boxing all nihght on the last Sat before Christmas than I am about Yemen, murdered critics and downtrodden minorities, tbh.

My Mrs said what about ethics and morals. 

I've double checked but I can't see them on the undercard?

57 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

I really ought to feel excited, but oddly I've got a severe case of CBA, but don't know why. Feels like we've been waiting for years and even now the AJ-Wilder fight has been ringfenced for another lucrative night out for all concerned. It has the feel of a collective of very wealthy fighter and promoters squeezing the last pips out of fight fans before heading West with their coffers truly stuffed.

Not gonna lie, but that same reasoning still allows me to be pissed that the Saudis are staging these fights, but that tells you all you need to know about the fight game these days. That said, probably I'll cave and tune in, so perhaps I'm just being an uppity dick about it all. What really grates for me, is that for all the sound and fury (excuse pun), this is a very hollow division with a man at the top who just took a pasting from an MMA fighter. 

Just realised how grumpy I'm being. I'll f*** off now 🤣

Come on!! It's a banging card! 

Forget all that UFC Judo nonsense where the best aren't protected. 

This is a real sport. With tradition. Where fighting ability is second only to commercial value. 

And now the Crown Prince, a thoroughly decent bloke according to his captives, is going to force the best to fight the best. 

Embrace your inner Neville. Show your anger with a £30 box office purchase. Stfu and don't be negative at Christmas. 

23 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Come on!! It's a banging card! 

Forget all that UFC Judo nonsense where the best aren't protected. 

This is a real sport. With tradition. Where fighting ability is second only to commercial value. 

And now the Crown Prince, a thoroughly decent bloke according to his captives, is going to force the best to fight the best. 

Embrace your inner Neville. Show your anger with a £30 box office purchase. Stfu and don't be negative at Christmas. 

I'm deffo not watching it now 🤣

#bahhumbug

10 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Isn't Wallin the bloke Fury beat about 4 years ago despite having to protect a nasty cut, when he weighed about 25 stone hadn't been in the ring for 2 years and had consumed about 5000 pints in that period.

Good times.  Top level stuff.

Kind of but no. It was the second fight after the Wilder I fight and he weighed 18 stone. He struggled to beat him (yes he had a cut, but the fight was actually pretty close).

Wallin since has won every fight including beating a highly rated Gassiev who had only lost to Usyk before.

11 hours ago, Jubbs said:

Kind of but no. It was the second fight after the Wilder I fight and he weighed 18 stone. He struggled to beat him (yes he had a cut, but the fight was actually pretty close).

Wallin since has won every fight including beating a highly rated Gassiev who had only lost to Usyk before.

Didn't realise Eddie Hearn was a Derby fan.

Edited by Chester40

Katie Taylor and Chantelle Cameron in a re-match which was somehow even better than the first fight. Wouldn't put anyone off having a watch. Proper toe to toe stuff from two lasses with heart and some skills to boot. Cameron a little too static for me. She marches head on and first time around she got to Taylor in the mid to late rounds. This time though, Taylor was throwing combos to keep Cameron on her heels, instead of the single shots she of the first fight and she was landing plenty. This was a different Katie Taylor I thought, though Cameron's team might think they missed an opportunity and I'm already looking forward to fight 3 of what is already looking like a classic trilogy. It's nailed on to happen and these lasses aren't fannying about over contract terms 😋