Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

3 minutes ago, David said:

Oh boy, get to the O2 and they have moved our seats right down near the front! 

Will be able to smell Joshua's jock strap down here.

So they should when it's £8.50 a can of Bud!

IMG_2379.jpeg

Nooiiicccccceeeee! Good undercard! Big fight for AJ this! He looked nervy to me at the weigh in! Asking "why you looking at me" at a face off 🙈

Maybe eddies trying to make some money back on the beer 😆

57 minutes ago, David said:

Oh boy, get to the O2 and they have moved our seats right down near the front! 

Will be able to smell Joshua's jock strap down here.

So they should when it's £8.50 a can of Bud!

IMG_2379.jpeg

Joshua at O2 will be rocking. Always did. Enjoy mate! 

51 minutes ago, De22Ram said:

Nooiiicccccceeeee! Good undercard! Big fight for AJ this! He looked nervy to me at the weigh in! Asking "why you looking at me" at a face off 🙈

Maybe eddies trying to make some money back on the beer 😆

Yeah that was funny. Should give Helenius some confidence really. 

Do people have unrealistic expectations of AJ? I don’t understand the criticism that goes his way. The BBC were reporting people were leaving the O2 after six rounds? Either that’s just false reporting and further evidence of an agenda, or people have some warped expectations of what he is supposed to do.

How was this performance any different from the many Lennox Lewis ones where he just broke down his opponent?

People say AJ has lost it since he lost to Ruiz. He lost to Ruiz because he was reckless. Since then he has beaten Ruiz, and only lost twice (in close fights) to an all-time great who is undefeated.

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

The BBC were reporting people were leaving the O2 after six rounds? Either that’s just false reporting and further evidence of an agenda, or people have some warped expectations of what he is supposed to do.

Didn't happen. I mean I'm not saying nobody left, but not numbers you would even think to report on that I saw, I moved to the top of the stairs opposite the fighters entrance for the AJ fight.

The fight was dull as dishwater up until the KO, got a round of boo's a couple times, yet it was obvious he was just getting rounds under his belt.

Wouldn't call myself a big boxing fan, prefer MMA but what an experience that was.

IMG_2379.jpeg

IMG_2405.jpeg

IMG_2445.jpeg

IMG_2465.jpeg

IMG_2468.jpeg

IMG_2471.jpeg

IMG_2474.jpeg

IMG_2504.jpeg

IMG_2486.jpeg

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Do people have unrealistic expectations of AJ? I don’t understand the criticism that goes his way. The BBC were reporting people were leaving the O2 after six rounds? Either that’s just false reporting and further evidence of an agenda, or people have some warped expectations of what he is supposed to do.

How was this performance any different from the many Lennox Lewis ones where he just broke down his opponent?

People say AJ has lost it since he lost to Ruiz. He lost to Ruiz because he was reckless. Since then he has beaten Ruiz, and only lost twice (in close fights) to an all-time great who is undefeated.

They were not close fights against Usyk he was well beaten. They may have been close on the judges cards I’ve not looked but stevie wonder would make a better judge than some of them.

AJ didn’t break him down tonight he took him out with one shot after 6 pretty boring rounds where the Finn didn’t look in any trouble 

15 minutes ago, Henrycav81 said:

They were not close fights against Usyk he was well beaten. They may have been close on the judges cards I’ve not looked but stevie wonder would make a better judge than some of them.

AJ didn’t break him down tonight he took him out with one shot after 6 pretty boring rounds where the Finn didn’t look in any trouble 

They were probably 8-4 round defeats to Usyk. The second fight was closer, and he had Usyk in trouble in one particular round (think it was around the 8th).

AJ won every round tonight. I’m not his biggest fan. I much prefer Usyk and wanted Usyk to beat AJ.

But there is evidently an agenda against him. And unfortunately it seems like the casuals are just latching on to the constant criticism of him.

Have a read of the BBC article. They state almost right away how boos were circling around the arena and people were walking out. Why even report that?

Then you look at the comments section and the criticism is repetitive and tedious. “I used to be a fan of AJ but after the Ruiz defeat he is shot blah blah”. What is driving this narrative? He is a better boxer now than when he was before Ruiz.

He might not throw as many combinations, but he is getting hit far less. Klitchsko had 3 bad defeats before he became a ‘boring’ winner. I’d imagine AJ would prefer to win boringly than get KO’d again in a shootout.

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

They were probably 8-4 round defeats to Usyk. The second fight was closer, and he had Usyk in trouble in one particular round (think it was around the 8th).

AJ won every round tonight. I’m not his biggest fan. I much prefer Usyk and wanted Usyk to beat AJ.

But there is evidently an agenda against him. And unfortunately it seems like the casuals are just latching on to the constant criticism of him.

Have a read of the BBC article. They state almost right away how boos were circling around the arena and people were walking out. Why even report that?

Then you look at the comments section and the criticism is repetitive and tedious. “I used to be a fan of AJ but after the Ruiz defeat he is shot blah blah”. What is driving this narrative? He is a better boxer now than when he was before Ruiz.

He might not throw as many combinations, but he is getting hit far less. Klitchsko had 3 bad defeats before he became a ‘boring’ winner. I’d imagine AJ would prefer to win boringly than get KO’d again in a shootout.

I’d already read the bbc report but didn’t bother reading the comments as they’re usually totally unbalanced and over the top one way or the other.

i watched the fight live on tv and there were a few boos but certainly not a crescendo you couldn’t tell if people were leaving or not. they didn’t fight until after 11pm should have been approximately 10pm so they may of been transport issues.

i agree Joshua won every round but don’t think he broke him down Helenius never looked in any distress until he had his lights put out. The art of boxing is to hit and not be hit a lot of people just want to see two fighters slugging it out. I do feel since the Ruiz fight AJ as been gunshy and he’s not technically good enough to outbox the Usyks and fury’s of this world I also think he’d get knocked out by Wilder who is technically far worse than AJ but doesn’t seem to have been affected as badly by his losses to fury as AJ as been by his Ruiz defeat

As for the BBC they are way over the top on any sport they cover (that ain’t many) you only have to see their deranged coverage of the hundred and how they cover the women’s World Cup where every save,shot,pass,tackle is world class

Edited by Henrycav81

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Then you look at the comments section and the criticism is repetitive and tedious. “I used to be a fan of AJ but after the Ruiz defeat he is shot blah blah”. What is driving this narrative? 

Social media and Football forums 👍

Edited by The Last Post

58 minutes ago, Henrycav81 said:

they didn’t fight until after 11pm should have been approximately 10pm so they may of been transport issues.

If a lot did leave, I'm glad they did jeez it was carnage. 

20,000 in the arena plus those leaving the O2.

We made the mistake to avoid the underground crush and ridiculously long taxi queue, got to the main road and no Uber would pick us up.

Went back to the taxi queue, by time we got to the front no driver would take us back to Canary Wharf as the tunnel was closed.

Tried to figure out the buses, not a clue.

Back to the underground where they had delays. Didn't get back to our hotel till like 2.45am.

4 mile 15 minute drive on a normal day.

Oh, it took us over an hour to even get there in an Uber, broken down car in the tunnel caused gridlock. Nightmare.

There are a few things about Joshua that's improved. He is certainly more agile. His feet move so much better than ever. He's got good hand speed and his IQ has improved. He really controls the range better. He seems less enthusiastic to get in a clinch (and he's a total pussy in a clinch getting ragged by everyone) 

But what's with the single shots? 

He's turned into Dillian Whyte. 

Single jabs and telegraphed hooks. Nothing looks put together. What's the point of the jab? He doesn't double it or triple it often, he doesn't look to use it to set anything up. 

It's not like Wilder's range finder jab where it's almost to say "cross this distance and the right hand is coming for your soul" 

He doesn't work off it at all. 

The old raw AJ beat Klitschko and I'm not buying all this "old man" stuff. Klitschko was sharp and fit. He's got more dirty tricks and intelligence than most heavies in history. Probably all heavies in history to be fair. 

AJ has never been a BAD boxer. 

But in his pursuit of becoming a complete fighter he looks worse. He's lost the inside dog fighting hunger. That's something he should have kept. That is what he does best. I totally understand that he's gone off to try and add to it. But all this has done is take it away. Now he looks like an up and coming talent. 

It's like playing Lionel Messi in defensive midfield. 

I don't think AJ has time to change. You can't go back once you're at that level. If you go back then you'll never return to the top. Not fighting every 8 months or whatever. 

What he has is good enough for Helenius, Franklin, Whyte etc etc. He's a spiteful puncher, he's fast, he's got range and he's got heart despite what people say. It's not his heart that's failed him but his strategy. 

But it's going to take more than 1 punch "combos" to keep Fury off him. To pin Usyk down. And if taps at Wilder with so little purpose then he's juggling a live grenade. 

Yet a few years back you'd back him to get at Wilder and be one hell of a short scrap. 

Now I think AJ gets flattened in what could be a longer fight. Probably 6 rounds before a mistake creeps in. 

4 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

How do folk think AJ will get on vs DW?

He hasn’t got the chin of fury, so he will need to avoid any big shots.

Looking at from Wilder perspective. 

He's struggled with/been rocked by Spzilka, Molina, Washington and Ortiz. I think a couple more too. 

But the Fury fight showed us that he can get back up. And that's the frightening bit. He's a bit chinny, Wilder. He's not hard to hit and hurt. The thing is though we saw how he doesn't lose his power or his confidence after getting dropped. Before Fury I thought he was a bit of fake. A big banger that's got no actual grit. He proved a lot in those fights. 

Probably won't happen though you know. Boxing innit

I enjoyed aj when he first came on the scene and I honestly think he’s a good guy but I think he’s lost his way and probably not got enough people close around him in the boxing sense to, give him a bit of a kick up the ass , for me it started when to my eye he suddenly became obsessed with talking about his legacy , it really needed someone to tell him that beating klitchco was great but just the start , it didn’t make him a great , get in there and fight the best around , be a fighter and history will decide what your legacy is , im not sure with the level of money and power he has now if he can ever find his way back to basics , that’s probably more the fault of how heavyweight boxing has evolved to what it is now than just aj personally 🤷🏻‍♂️

20 minutes ago, Archied said:

I enjoyed aj when he first came on the scene and I honestly think he’s a good guy but I think he’s lost his way and probably not got enough people close around him in the boxing sense to, give him a bit of a kick up the ass , for me it started when to my eye he suddenly became obsessed with talking about his legacy , it really needed someone to tell him that beating Klitschko was great but just the start , it didn’t make him a great , get in there and fight the best around , be a fighter and history will decide what your legacy is , im not sure with the level of money and power he has now if he can ever find his way back to basics , that’s probably more the fault of how heavyweight boxing has evolved to what it is now than just aj personally 🤷🏻‍♂️

The Klitschko fight was good toe to toe boxing and the stronger man won, Ruiz was AJs downfall, Never took it seriously, A fat lad in the ring...not a chance, Those that have a punch and can take a punch on the day can be dangerous, Ruiz showed AJ that you need to train and train again.

Today AJ is chasing something that is out of reach imo, Fury and his management are playing games, Fury knows AJ has a chance so he's chasing the money, If the 2 do eventually meet...it's a Fury win and maybe retirement 🤷‍♂️ 

Think Joshua is less dangerous to Fury than before. 

When he was a bit more reckless you felt he could hurt anyone and in a brawl he might hurt Fury. 

That Ruiz shot could've dropped anyone. It was a shot where Joshua was caught upright, smaller man under him swinging over the top, hit across top of the head and scrambled. 

Instead of thinking that he should become Ali he should just learn not to let smaller men get under your chin. Povetkin and Takam had similar success. 

Adopting his whole style to be a more defensive agile boxer.... Fury will box his way right through that. You don't beat Fury by fighting like Fury. Klitschko couldn't do it. I doubt Usyk would/could do it. Certainly not AJ. His best chance would be to make it a street fight. Wilder showed you that Fury can be hit by even the most basic boxer. Anyone who tries to outbox him will lose including Usyk I think (size will be the difference there)

Oh the idea on social media etc that Joshua is somehow finished etc... Jeez

He's still fast enough, strong enough and handy enough to beat everyone in the world except about 3 people. 

He dominated Ruiz II. He dominated Pulev. He was cruising past Franklin and Helenius was not problem either. 

Very unfair the hate he gets like he's suddenly not top 5 in Britain 

I listened on talk sport, was flicking between 5 live but talk sport covered the undercards so stuck with them! 

Heard the boos, disgrace in my opinion! Especially for a home fighter!

This fight was no more than a warm up for AJ! Getting used to his new trainer, few rounds in the tank! Think he could have got him out sooner but he probably wanted to work on a few things! For me this was about getting his confidence up and i think thats what happened! Would have been better against Whyte but still did the same!

Eddies talking about Wilder next, thatll be a good fight imo! Two big punches! AJ just needs to believe in himself a bit more, you could hear in his corner him asking questions and needing reasurance from james! 

Boxings a business, but if i was AJs promoter id get him another tune up fight asap and have wilder in the spring! Wont happen though, DAZNs golden goose!