Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

6 hours ago, LERam said:

Really torn over the judges and how to fix how biased they are at times. My head says something like what you described is perfect, a stats based measuring system that keeps it fair. What more could you ask for

But the sadistic twisted heart of mine is somehow drawn to the way it is, the unpredictability (or predictable I suppose) nature of how its scored. The controversy and anger that follows. Its almost that ingrained into the sport that it would lose something if it disappeared if that makes sense? Or maybe I'm a dinosaur that can't handle progress.

We'd know the exact score of the match as it progresses, that seems to take a spark away from it, it removes the debating over who you think won a round with your mates live.

There's also something really pleasing when a boxer goes to the other guys yard, and forces that decision when you know no one else in that arena wants it including the judges, that win against all the odds.

Absolutely get your thinking mate. Pretty much mirrors my own. I think some stats based metrics have to be applied but maybe to maintain the suspense throughout the fight, the scores should not be revealed until after the final round, or maybe after every 3rd round? Ideally, they'd just find judges who won't sell their souls for £500 and posh hotel room, but clearly that's beyond them.

Boxing scoring needs defining. It’s too open to interpretation which makes corruption easy.

Judge 1: “I give Canelo round two because he was the aggressor and stood in the middle of the ring”.

Everyone else watching from an unbiased position with compubox stats: “GGG won round two, he threw and landed with 3x as many punches.“

Judge 1: “I give Canelo round three. His footwork, head movement and counter-punching was excellent while sitting on the ropes”.

Everyone else watching from an unbiased position with compubox stats: “GGG won round three, he threw and landed with 3x as many punches.“

Judge 1: “I give Canelo round four, he closed off the space and scored a great uppercut at the end which got the crowd excited.”

Everyone else watching from an unbiased position with compubox stats: “GGG won round four, he threw and landed with 3x as many punches.“

Judge 1: “I give Canelo round five. He only threw seven punches, but GGG’s arms are becoming red.”

Everyone else watching from an unbiased position with compubox stats: “GGG won round five, he threw and landed with 3x as many punches.“

Judge 1: “Ok I can’t make it so obvious so I’ll throw this round to GGG as I need to find two rounds for him on my 118-110 scorecard.”

• 1 month later...

I'm shocked at the level of hate he gets. He gets absolutely hammered nowadays. 

I like Usyk but I hope AJ absolutely nails him. Just to shut up keyboard warriors and people that think it's ok to call him a bum, hype job etc etc. 

People that think you're only good if your undefeated. 

If I had to bet I'd bet on Usyk since Usyk doesn't have to adapt and AJ has no secrets in this fight. He's far far to clean of a fighter. He's terrible in the clinch. He has too much to change and Usyk has to change very little. 

I always thought AJ's problems were

1) listening to Tyson Fury saying he can't box and move. Thus trying to make statements. 

2) becoming a huge huge money draw and unified champion. Made him more defensive. More focused on landing perfect shots, applies less pressure etc. And the Ruiz fights seemed to support the idea that he's got to be a boxer. I'd hoped Pulev showed him that he's not. But then he goes out to box Usyk. 

I'm praying he comes out, pushed the rules, hold onto Usyk. Grab him, hold him, lean on him, tie him up, get ugly. Then fire away whenever he's inside. Treat it as a 6/8 rounder. 

He's gotta be like a crap team Vs Man City. Spoil the game and rely on set pieces. He's too clean though 

If AJ wins there will be millions of gutted Brits. Typical

8 hours ago, Alpha said:

I'm shocked at the level of hate he gets. He gets absolutely hammered nowadays. 

I like Usyk but I hope AJ absolutely nails him. Just to shut up keyboard warriors and people that think it's ok to call him a bum, hype job etc etc. 

People that think you're only good if your undefeated. 

If I had to bet I'd bet on Usyk since Usyk doesn't have to adapt and AJ has no secrets in this fight. He's far far to clean of a fighter. He's terrible in the clinch. He has too much to change and Usyk has to change very little. 

I always thought AJ's problems were

1) listening to Tyson Fury saying he can't box and move. Thus trying to make statements. 

2) becoming a huge huge money draw and unified champion. Made him more defensive. More focused on landing perfect shots, applies less pressure etc. And the Ruiz fights seemed to support the idea that he's got to be a boxer. I'd hoped Pulev showed him that he's not. But then he goes out to box Usyk. 

I'm praying he comes out, pushed the rules, hold onto Usyk. Grab him, hold him, lean on him, tie him up, get ugly. Then fire away whenever he's inside. Treat it as a 6/8 rounder. 

He's gotta be like a crap team Vs Man City. Spoil the game and rely on set pieces. He's too clean though 

If AJ wins there will be millions of gutted Brits. Typical

I do wonder how many of the name-callers have ever had the balls to climb in a ring themselves. Likewise how many would call AJ a bum to his face, rather than from the safety of their armchair. Equally, it'd be nice to see AJ boxing in the UK rather than taking the Arab cash if he wants to build rapport. he can't be short of a few quid and choosing the destination that pays him most is rather shortchanging his UK fanbase.

As for the fight, I think your analysis is spot on. AJ can win this but he has to smother Usyk and ensure that his size and weight advantage are used to maximum effect. I once thought AJ had a proper nasty side to him, but I'm not so sure anymore. Fact his, he's not going to outbox Usyk so he needs to make the fight as uncomfortable as possible for the Ukranian. If Usyk is allowed time and space to find his rhythm, this could be another long night for AJ.

37 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I do wonder how many of the name-callers have ever had the balls to climb in a ring themselves. Likewise how many would call AJ a bum to his face, rather than from the safety of their armchair. Equally, it'd be nice to see AJ boxing in the UK rather than taking the Arab cash if he wants to build rapport. he can't be short of a few quid and choosing the destination that pays him most is rather shortchanging his UK fanbase.

As for the fight, I think your analysis is spot on. AJ can win this but he has to smother Usyk and ensure that his size and weight advantage are used to maximum effect. I once thought AJ had a proper nasty side to him, but I'm not so sure anymore. Fact his, he's not going to outbox Usyk so he needs to make the fight as uncomfortable as possible for the Ukranian. If Usyk is allowed time and space to find his rhythm, this could be another long night for AJ.

Judging from his interviews and his reactions to certain things I think AJ has lost his love for the general public. The fickle nature and criticism has been too much I think. He bites a lot more. That situation with the students shows how the general public/Joshua relationship has gone. 

Even so far as what some of the guys at Sky have had to say. He really has had it from all angles.

Hopefully tonight he can silence them all again. 

For a street thug with an asbo from Watford you would think that nastiness would never leave him. But I agree completely. He's lost his edge.

Maybe all the hate will turn back the clock?

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Judging from his interviews and his reactions to certain things I think AJ has lost his love for the general public. The fickle nature and criticism has been too much I think. He bites a lot more. That situation with the students shows how the general public/Joshua relationship has gone. 

Even so far as what some of the guys at Sky have had to say. He really has had it from all angles.

Hopefully tonight he can silence them all again. 

For a street thug with an asbo from Watford you would think that nastiness would never leave him. But I agree completely. He's lost his edge.

Maybe all the hate will turn back the clock?

I think a lot of fight fans are pretty binary in their assessments. Champ or bum, there's quite often no middle ground. I also think that many just regurgitate out what they've read. I hope AJ puts a marker down tonight, but my thinking is Usyk on points. 

I used to box amateur! Not pro so cant understand that type of pressure! 

Watching the fight, AJ was much better, in the first fight i think he was way to gun shy and playing into Usyks hands by trying to outbox a seasoned amateur boxer who has learnt the trade!

This fight much better, AJs talent is letting his hands go! 9th round he could have won but in my opinion ran out of gas!! Usyk had more in the tank for the final rounds n won due to it!

As for the hate for AJ im not on social media so dont see it! Altho i think some of it might stem from the fact so hes so media trained! Hes a nice guy but when he steps into the ring u want to see a nsaty barstool! He has a lot of talent! 

I do stand by my previous post about his mentality! Think that has effected him since the ruiz fight! He did look good in this usyk rematch, if he had the tank to go 12 rounds i think he would have stopped usyk!

Edited by De22Ram

15 hours ago, Alpha said:

He's gotta be like a crap team Vs Man City. Spoil the game and rely on set pieces. 

If fury boxes him thats exactly what he will do! Use his height n weight! Jab, move n if he gets inside tie him up n lean on him push him, work the body!

I'm fuming. 

That was virtually the same performance but with the right hand to the body thrown in. It took to round 9 for him to actually grab Usyk and rag him about. 

Started slow and allowed Usyk to feel him out. Why?

Trainer (Fernandes) told him he's winning every round at the end of round 5. Why?

Worked for between 1m and 1m 30 of most rounds and then took a break for the rest. Why?

At the start of round 7 someone in his corner said "this is the round". No, round 1 was the round. By round 7 one of you should be fecked. 

The implosion at the end... He actually thought he was winning? 

Now last time his trainers took the blame. And they were s**** again. He chose Garcia and did nothing that he couldn't have figured out on his own. 

Did he really go to Mexico to be told to throw a right hand more. That's what they came up with. Punch slightly more with the right hand? Genius. 

Anyway, credit to Usyk. Once again when he's under pressure and hurting he fights harder and faster. He didn't really have to change much though did he?

Wonderful fighter. Insane energy, speed, combos, height changing, footwork like a dancer... Just a beast. We all knew that. What we know that AJ doesn't is that if you punch him in the nuts, hold his head down and punch it then he starts to look flustered. 

Luckily for Usyk it only happened to like three times in 36 minutes. 

A hard fight made harder. Klitschko would alter gloves, canvas, room temps. Mike Tyson would bite. Lewis would rake cuts. Fury will use his head, his palms etc. 

Joshua just doesn't get dirty. Bless him though. I like the guy and I think it's tragic the amount of hate he gets. He's bloody good. He's just not going to be the best of his era. A great fighter. Hope he has good people around him. 

Usyk is a good champion. Very classy guy. Good role model for the sport. 

I do agree AJ improved by the way. That performance beats all other heavyweights except Fury. 

It was just not the type of performance needed. It was pretty typical AJ style with slightly more speed and pace. 

He needed to brawl. Not execute the first fight but with added spice.

He'd have been better hiring Chisora or Fury ffs