Sky and BT buy Premier League rights for 2016 - 2019.

CumbrianRam

I'd be up in arms about the ridiculousness of the money involved, if I were a team like firest, destuned to spend the next decade in the lower leagues. But, hopefully, we'll be getting our share of those riches next year, and for many years to come.

In theory, that sort of money should make it easier for teams to yo yo. It could be seriously difficult for new teams to establish themselves in the prem in the coming years. We could be sneaking in at just the right time.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bloody obsene amount of money when grass roots football hasn't got a pot to pee in and relies on fundraising and donations because the sum they do get from the PL is nowhere near enough to stop clubs from folding.

I badgered Gary Lineker for ages to sign the petition (got it in the end) but it needs more than signatures. Some top players seem to forget their roots all too easily when they're at the top.

But the PL could do so much more to help!

How much live football was on terrestrial channels before sky? Not much, maybe 1 fa cup match per round, and once a month for league games?

But it was on tho, im just saying that football is our national sport and we can't watch our own prem without paying for it.Crickets the same.

Sweepstake on the first half-million quid a week footballer?. 

Crazy money. SKY share price fell 5% this morning, so their shareholders clearly think they've paid too much & they'll just have to increase subscriptions again to cover the cost, so the fans lose out again and the big winners are the already stupidly overpaid footballers.

IMO the bulk of the increase in money should be ring-fenced by the FA for investment in the grass-roots game and developing English talent with the clubs.

It sometimes feels like FIFA, UEFA and the FA are all that really stand between football having a semblance of what it used to be and Scudamore's idea of what it should be

And how scary is that?

All that stands between our heritage and oblivion are some blokes in F.A. blazers and Sepp friggin' Blatter.

I'm not bothered about the amount of money paid, but how it's going to be spent. Hopefully it won't end up in members back pockets but instead used for grants to improve grass roots football across the country

That's my problem with it. The money has increased by something like

Soon clubs will not need fans. We will have stadiums full of robots which we control ourselves from home with recorded chants. This has been trialled in South Korea last year!!

Hope they make the robots queue up for 20minutes at half time to be served by a 15yr old human, moving slower than a snail !!!

Maybe you would prefer to be back to watching Derby under the old Offilers Ales Pop Side Tin roof stand at the Baseball Ground next to the Leys and Ewarts foundry

Yep

thanks for correction of my silly error. Shows it is pubs and advertising that is the big money earner by implication for sky. They need the sports viewers to then tell the advertiser's they have a captive audience....do the advertisers know everyone hits the bar or toilets at half time !! :-)

Yes. SKY Sports currently costs

Archived