Forest game: Ward, Bent or Dawkins?

Ambitious

Who should start against Forest?  

136 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd pick Dawkins, and I reckon McClaren will as well. I don't mind Ward but I just think Dawkins is a far better player. I've missed watching him play so if there's one positive from Ibe going back, it's that Dawkins will get more chances to win over the Derby boo boys.

No point moaning about loans not lasting the course, while Ibe was good, he wasn't the reason for us being top 2, and neither was Leon Best.

We've said goodbye to both, but feel more confident of a top 2 finish with Bent on board than either of them, time for Dawkins and Ward to grab their chance.

Controversial. Bent.

Ward is just coming back from injury.

Dawkins is too inconsistent. Would play a fit Ward over Dawkins

Bent has been in great form recently, however I recognise that he is not a winger and so he would be playing out of position. We aren't going to switch to 4-4-2. Still based on form, consistency and injury, I think Bent isn't an unreasonable suggestion.

Do I think Bent will start? No

Dawkins will start.

No point moaning about loans not lasting the course, while Ibe was good, he wasn't the reason for us being top 2, and neither was Leon Best.

We've said goodbye to both, but feel more confident of a top 2 finish with Bent on board than either of them, time for Dawkins and Ward to grab their chance.

Exactly the same logic that some had with Bamford last season:

'He didn't suit our style of play therefore we shouldn't have signed him'

'We could have not signed Bamford and we would still be third'

While you don't argue that Ibe was didn't suit the teams style, you do seem to suggest that we would be in the same position we are now without his contribution.

This is incorrect. Just like Bamford scored 9 goals for us in half a season Ibe has scored 5 halfway into the season. If he had stayed the full season he most likely would have doubled that. A 10-goal a season player is a great asset to have. To act like we didn't need him in the first place is ridiculous when you consider what Ibe contributed to the team.

Furthermore you say that you feel Bent will contribute more than Ibe, I would beg to differ based on current circumstance.

Martin is our first choice striker.

Bent is our second choice striker.

Consequentially Bent will be on the bench until McClaren deems fit. Imagine his current role is an impact sub- similar to Bamford, only Bent is not here to play as a pseudo-winger like Bamford was made to.

I don't see us changing the formation to two strikers just to shoehorn Bent in. 4-4-3 works. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Ibe on the other hand was getting a number of first team starts lately, and technically competes for two spots, if you consider that there are two wing positions, though Ibe prefers to play on the left.

This is different to Bent because he is only competing for one spot in a 4-3-3.

So your assumption that Bent will make a bigger impact than Ibe and Best (Though I agree with you that even a toaster would have provided more going forward than Best could), is misguided because it's you assume that we are going to play Bent as a winger, which wouldn't make sense, or changing to 4-4-2, which we are not going to try as long as 4-3-3 is working. Which it is.

Exactly the same logic that some had with Bamford last season:

'He didn't suit our style of play therefore we shouldn't have signed him'

'We could have not signed Bamford and we would still be third'

While you don't argue that Ibe was didn't suit the teams style, you do seem to suggest that we would be in the same position we are now without his contribution.

This is incorrect. Just like Bamford scored 9 goals for us in half a season Ibe has scored 5 halfway into the season. If he had stayed the full season he most likely would have doubled that. A 10-goal a season player is a great asset to have. To act like we didn't need him in the first place is ridiculous when you consider what Ibe contributed to the team.

Furthermore you say that you feel Bent will contribute more than Ibe, I would beg to differ based on current circumstance.

Martin is our first choice striker.

Bent is our second choice striker.

Consequentially Bent will be on the bench until McClaren deems fit. Imagine his current role is an impact sub- similar to Bamford, only Bent is not here to play as a pseudo-winger like Bamford was made to.

I don't see us changing the formation to two strikers just to shoehorn Bent in. 4-4-3 works. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Ibe on the other hand was getting a number of first team starts lately, and technically competes for two spots, if you consider that there are two wing positions, though Ibe prefers to play on the left.

This is different to Bent because he is only competing for one spot in a 4-3-3.

So your assumption that Bent will make a bigger impact than Ibe and Best (Though I agree with you that even a toaster would have provided more going forward than Best could), is misguided because it's you assume that we are going to play Bent as a winger, which wouldn't make sense, or changing to 4-4-2, which we are not going to try as long as 4-3-3 is working. Which it is.

Nice post, was a big Bamford fan too, his ability to turn nothing into something has been missed, by me at least.

On the subject of my post, I have really appreciated Jordons efforts so far, and am sorry he's been recalled, however that's always the risk with a loaner.

My point is until injuries to Ward and Dawkins, Ibe was a bit part player, as should be expected from a kid learning the game, good going forward at times, but terrible defensively, this was the part of his game that's really improved of late, much to his credit.

As for the goals part of his game, without looking it up I'd suggest he's no more of a goal threat than Ward, been unlucky on the assist part in the last few games though where he's put some cracking balls into good areas without anyone being on the end of them.

I rate Ibe, I really do think he'll be top class in a few years, but don't agree he offers a massive amount more than our current wingers, other than fitness!

What's disappointed me is the 'How dare his club recall him?' attitude, while thanking the lord we got rid of Best in the same circumstances.

Sorry for the essay Btw!

Nice post, was a big Bamford fan too, his ability to turn nothing into something has been missed, by me at least.

On the subject of my post, I have really appreciated Jordons efforts so far, and am sorry he's been recalled, however that's always the risk with a loaner.

My point is until injuries to Ward and Dawkins, Ibe was a bit part player, as should be expected from a kid learning the game, good going forward at times, but terrible defensively, this was the part of his game that's really improved of late, much to his credit.

As for the goals part of his game, without looking it up I'd suggest he's no more of a goal threat than Ward, been unlucky on the assist part in the last few games though where he's put some cracking balls into good areas without anyone being on the end of them.

I rate Ibe, I really do think he'll be top class in a few years, but don't agree he offers a massive amount more than our current wingers, other than fitness!

What's disappointed me is the 'How dare his club recall him?' attitude, while thanking the lord we got rid of Best in the same circumstances.

Sorry for the essay Btw!

Respectful response. I wrote you an essay too so we're even.

Dawkins peaked around September, October-time, where he was rightfully first choice over Ibe. Unfortunately, Ibe peaked right before he left, so we're going to get a case of the 'Marilyn Monroe' about him.

Overall, if you was to average both Ibe and Dawkins' season they would be the same for me. Russell would be the best, with Ward (for what part he played) in second.  

Best performance any of our widemen this season was Dawkins against Fulham in the cup. He created endless chances, he was just running the show. He's a different player to Ibe, he's less explosive but smarter. 

After reading your 1st post in this thread, found myself disliking something you'd posted for possibly the first time in a year, after reading your second my faith is restored, you really are a diamond fella. Possibly time to stop drinking now, at least til the morning!

Have I pulled?!?!

We could be the new Elton and David?

Archived