Can fans views be a detriment to the team

Curtains

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how you endure Radio Derby, curtains.

Last time I listened to the phone in it started with

" I wasn't at the game but I listened on the radio and it sounded like we were poor"

Not being funny but there's Ramsplayer that shows the full 90 if you can't get to games. You can't base your opinion on someone's else's opinion. Turned it straight off.

And every week it's McClaren should have started this player or that player or played the 321121 formation with Jeff Hendrick as an inside left defensive midfielder.

Just like last season we're using like 15/16 players regularly. None of them a miles better than the others. Sometimes it suits Ibe, sometimes Dawkins. Sometimes it suits Eustace, sometimes Omar. Sometimes Bryson, sometimes Hendrick.

There is no magic formula to win every game.

Fair play to you if you can sit through that mate. Too much moaning for me. And I love moaning

Just putting it out there. 

We all have our ideas but does this put pressure on our Manager ! None whatsover. In the great book of managing football clubs, not reading fans views must be page 1, line 1.

Fans don't see the team train .It was easier at Raynesway, :-)

People calling for Coutts in holding role against Forest is that daft. Incredibly daft, he is OK and worked well with Brayford but not convinced he is good enough for what we want.

People calling for change of system against Forest to accommodate Bent is that daft. Incredibly daft. Why change something that is working?

The only thing that bothers the team is the backing at the game and people abusing them or massaging their egos on their personal twitter accounts.

The groans in unison when a pass goes astray is personally annoying. That affects player, and his performance.

May make him try another difficult pass that he normally would nt. May make player think "they do it to me and not others"

It affects player, and adversely most of the time.

it is easy enough to tell your mate "he did that poorly" but some fans want to make such a noise that it is audible to players.

Only time we help is when we do the pantomime impression of "he's behind you" as a player dwells on ball too long ......that actually helps a player know there is a "man on"

Just putting it out there. We all have our ideas but does this put pressure on our Manager ! None whatsover. In the great book of managing football clubs, not reading fans views must be page 1, line 1.Fans don't see the team train .It was easier at Raynesway, :-)People calling for Coutts in holding role against Forest is that daft. Incredibly daft, he is OK and worked well with Brayford but not convinced he is good enough for what we want.People calling for change of system against Forest to accommodate Bent is that daft. Incredibly daft. Why change something that is working?

I concur with your points

Just an opinion is that I think Moor Farm should open up a bit more to us fans .

Open training sessions would be good like we had one night at the IPRO when the three SSS took over.

I'm sure Steve would do it again

never underestimate the influence of any form of PR!

Players have been taken out of (the firing line) teams cos of fans' views.

Managers have been sacked or resigned cos of fans views.

Confidence can be affected by fans views.

The clubs do read forums, back in 2007-09 when I was prolific poster on both 606 and DET, and for some reason, quite notorious with agreers and dis-agreers commenting on articles I posted, I got an invite to have a coffee with Adam Pearson, tickets to two fans forums, a meeting with Tom Glick, a meeting with Tom Glick and some selected fans, a meeting with Andy Appleby, and his mobile number (he goaded me when Derby played well under Clough!). I also was offered cheap tickets etc from Glick's personal stash, and all kinds of perks to win me over..... mainly, it worked.

Yes, fans views, if expressed passionately enough, can be of benefit or detriment to the team. 

The clubs do read forums, back in 2007-09 when I was prolific poster on both 606 and DET, and for some reason, quite notorious with agreers and dis-agreers commenting on articles I posted, I got an invite to have a coffee with Adam Pearson, tickets to two fans forums, a meeting with Tom Glick, a meeting with Tom Glick and some selected fans, a meeting with Andy Appleby, and his mobile number (he goaded me when Derby played well under Clough!). I also was offered cheap tickets etc from Glick's personal stash, and all kinds of perks to win me over..... mainly, it worked.

Yes, fans views, if expressed passionately enough, can be of benefit or detriment to the team. 

When I handed in my season ticket years ago to Tom Glick in his office, I divulged nothing ...just my name and rank .....liked to keep them guessing ./....... plus I knew nothing to divulge :-)

But I was impressed with the coffee and biscuits I steadfastly but politely refused ... but sensed I could have taken one home if I wanted by way of a sweetener......

People calling for change of system against Forest to accommodate Bent is that daft. Incredibly daft. Why change something that is working?

As in life ......all teams, organisations strive to improve.  Reason to play Bent will be with express intention of improving Team.  Not saying he would improve, we do not know s it likely would involve a new system

But it is the path to continuous improvement that sees things change

NO point waiting to lose two games before making the change ....is it the time to change then ?  Do you change for the better or worse ?

If Bent is on fire in training, then he should not be precluded from selection just because we are winning.

Personally I want to see Bent in the team, as we COULD move up a level.

we need to become a better Team in the Prem, and players like Bent are deemed candidates to play for us in the Prem.

I am more than happy with current team selection, but it is not madness to consider Bent for a start. 

Having FA cup approaching will be a great chance for Bent to start ...and hopefully score.  Would love to see him alongside Martin in the Cup ..Martin slightly deeper.

Chrissy Martin is a regular on this forum I heard... He comes on to get motivation by reading Nino's posts, then goes out to prove him wrong...

His goal scoring droughts coincide with Nino's holidays...

Well then, I'd better keep posting about Martin if we are serious about promotion.  

Uh oh. You just set the cat among the pigeons with this post Mostyn. It pretty much refutes what some have said, so now the question is do managers specifically think of what's been said by fans on forums and/or in the media. I think Pardew did didn't he. His message, veiled or not, was 'i would rather go manage a lower club, than have to listen to fans like you.'

As in life ......all teams, organisations strive to improve.  Reason to play Bent will be with express intention of improving Team.  Not saying he would improve, we do not know s it likely would involve a new system

But it is the path to continuous improvement that sees things change

NO point waiting to lose two games before making the change ....is it the time to change then ?  Do you change for the better or worse ?

If Bent is on fire in training, then he should not be precluded from selection just because we are winning.

Personally I want to see Bent in the team, as we COULD move up a level.

we need to become a better Team in the Prem, and players like Bent are deemed candidates to play for us in the Prem.

I am more than happy with current team selection, but it is not madness to consider Bent for a start. 

Having FA cup approaching will be a great chance for Bent to start ...and hopefully score.  Would love to see him alongside Martin in the Cup ..Martin slightly deeper.

I don't entirely disagree with much of that. I don't think the Forest game is the one to start tinkering with systems. Do whatever they want for the cup game. I am certain that they will experiment with it in training anyway. 

I'm sure we do have an influence on lots of things because we are, in the end, the paying customer. And no successful business can afford to ignore its customers completely even though it has to run itself on a day to day basis in the way it sees fit

It used to be the case that the only opportunity we got to comment was at a match - you have to be pretty thick skinned not to be affected by 30,000 people moaning and groaning at you, and worse - Jeff Chandler was ruined by Bolton fans for example, he was never the same player again; Clod must have dreaded a home match.

But social media - and I include this forum in that - allows many more people to express a view, it allows mob rule, creates agenda and views, allows others to know that their view is commonly held, allows groups of customers to take or support collective action in a way that was never possible before. Oldham would have signed Ched Evans 30 years ago, but now they can't because millions of people - Oldhams fans and not - have a voice that they and their sponsors can't ignore.

This doesn't have to be negative, as we are seeing with Derby now. But sometimes being overly positive can be as bad - imagine the disappointment if we don't go up or do badly in the EPL. But it is why DCFC and businesses more widely, have to listen to customers' views, find ways of engaging with them and reacting to what they say, feel and think.

Just putting it out there.

We all have our ideas but does this put pressure on our Manager !

Fans don't see the team train .

People calling for Coutts in holding role against Forest is that daft.

People calling for change of system against Forest to accommodate Bent is that daft.

Etc etc

No

Part of the fun of being a fan is mouthing our opinion. There are several possible outcomes

1) manager agrees and we win big time = You feel like a genius and are totally certain it was your advice that tipped the balance of managerial thinking

2) manager didn't do what you said and still won = you get to say the opposition was weak and we would have scored more with your formation

3) as 2 we lost = told you so

4 ) Did what you said and we lost !!!!! = now this is tricky .. Spin is the key . Answers are ...It was all player X who didn't follow instructions. or the ref was a disgrace or best of all .. you only meant THAT formation IF the opposition had a German centre back and we're playing 4-2-4 which they didn't and the manager should have adjusted accordingly

Done well being and armchair manager is a doddle ! From 4 possible outcomes you have 3 wins and a draw - on that form you win the league

Oh and any draws are easily managed as "work in progress getting used to new formation !"

If a team is performing well they have nothing to worry about.

That being said there are always fans that overreact, even when you've just won 5 games in a row. Constantly moaning about the formation, not having a plan B, bringing on Best, Forsyth giving the ball away etc.

Part of the fun of being a fan is mouthing our opinion. There are several possible outcomes

1) manager agrees and we win big time = You feel like a genius and are totally certain it was your advice that tipped the balance of managerial thinking

2) manager didn't do what you said and still won = you get to say the opposition was weak and we would have scored more with your formation

3) as 2 we lost = told you so

4 ) Did what you said and we lost !!!!! = now this is tricky .. Spin is the key . Answers are ...It was all player X who didn't follow instructions. or the ref was a disgrace or best of all .. you only meant THAT formation IF the opposition had a German centre back and we're playing 4-2-4 which they didn't and the manager should have adjusted accordingly

Done well being and armchair manager is a doddle ! From 4 possible outcomes you have 3 wins and a draw - on that form you win the league

Oh and any draws are easily managed as "work in progress getting used to new formation !"

This is about right.

No pressure on us fans.

Archived