Who should play against Forest in Eustace's absence?

Thierry Ennui

rather see Buxton play DM than Shotton, Buxtons passing is excellent, got to be Mascarell, we're are at home, against a team that will try to park a few buses and their main striker limped off yesterday. it's a perfect game for him to step in and show some class. he must be hurting abit from being dropped, he was brilliant and then poor so who knows what he'll come up with. Big crowd, loads of noise.   

Grant, Christie, Keogh, Buxton, Forsyth, Bryson, Mascarell, Hughes, Russell, Martin, Ward i think i'd go with. Ibe coming on later, but Ward and Bryson are always up for these games, Ibe running at them later on would be terrifying for them and Bryson gets about better than Hendrick who, i think, has been pretty quiet for quite a few games now. (plus he might still have a headache from saturday) Bent to replace Martin after his hattrick for a round of applause on 68 mins, only to add 2 more in the last 10 mins with Ibe setting them both up, skipping past tired tree legs. Russell and Bryson also on the scoresheet after Derby went 0-1 down, a calamity start from the rams.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No no I'd go with Mascarell. Was just confused by the Shotton being too lightweight comment when he's over 10kgs heavier than Mascarell

Fair enough, but he is too easily pushed off the ball for my liking, making him appear lightweight.

Suppose a lot depends on what type of game Forest are likely to play & that in turn depends on who their manager will be.

If Pearce survives, I imagine he'll set up a team in "safety-first" mode knowing full well that a real mauling will earn him his P45. Basically I'd expect men behind the ball with them looking to play on the counter with Assombalonga & Antonio. In that case, Mascarell would be ideal as we're likely to have a lot of the ball & will need to be creative to break Forest down.

If a new man comes in, I could see Forest going for broke - i.e. looking to dominate with a real high line & pressurising us all over the pitch. There is an argument for saying they should do that anyway as we're unlikely to play in behind them with Martin. In that case, I think we'd need to be a bit more conscious of getting out-battled in midfield. Whilst I wouldn't have a problem with Mascarell still playing that role, it may suit Shotton more. If Forest do go down that route, it may well necessitate Bent playing a big part in the game to stretch the play.

Either way, I think we under-estimate Forest at our peril. Whilst they're in dog awful form at the minute, there is still talent in that team & they will be desperate to avenge the 5-0 in some measure. No point getting a result like yesterday's & then throwing it away on Saturday.

Although ideally you'd like an enforcer for a local derby match, I think I'd give Mascarell the nod being as its a home game, he has played his best stuff at Pride Park and think we have won or drawn all the home games he's played (despite struggling a lot against Norwich).

He does have clear strengths and weaknesses and we are more likely to concede with him playing but hopefully he can open something up at the other end to compensate. I wouldn't consider playing him away though no matter how he does in these upcoming home matches (three of them, assuming if he plays v Forest he will also play in the FA Cup maybe).

Is Shotton coming on yesterday an indication of what the thoughts will be?

I thought Hendrick and Hughes both did very well yesterday so I would pick whoever enables that to continue.

I believe Shotton came on over Mascarell purely because there was 5 minutes of added time to play. It was obvious that they'd pumping the ball into the box so we needed an aerial threat to challenge theirs. Shotton came on more as a centre back although his position was slightly further forward than Keogh and Buxton. Had Eustace got sent off for tripping McGoldrick off ball and Steve brought on a different CDM, my guess is that it would've been Mascarell.

The only one out of Hughes, Bryson and Hendrick who I think can do the DM role is (surprisingly) Hughes. He played there in a couple of pre-season games (most memorably against Rangers) and I was so surprised at his physicality and the discipline with which he held back and slotted in between the CB pair to create a back 3 when we were attacking. I was really impresses with seeing him playing that defensively. However, he is much more valuable to us further up the pitch.

Hendrick's nightmare as a DM against Leicester still haunts me, so I'd hate to see him back there.

Omar for me. Most obvious of the replacements and likely to get a lot of time on the ball against Forest.

I think Mascarell deserves a second chance now the opportunity is there.

People will look at results like Leeds, Middlesbrough and Brentford away and say that there is no way back in for Mascarell but I disagree.

He's a young player with a lot to learn and much to improve. Add that to the fact he has moved to a different country where he doesn't speak the language and it's fair to say a successful transition is not going to be immediate.

It's not as though he has been given a particularly long run in the side. He started eight consecutive league games from November onwards - is that really enough to make a fair judgement of the player and consign him to the bench?

Let's not forget Mascarell has also been a part of the team when we've been at our most impressive in footballing terms too. Fulham and Watford away and Wolves and Brighton at home stand out as some of our most fluent performances of the season and in his thirteen league and cup starts, we've won eight games so I am not sure he is that detrimental to our play.

Of course, Eustace is the tried and trusted and you can't argue with the results since he has come back into the side but I definitely think there is more to come from Mascarell and I'm hopeful he will rise to the occasion next week.

I think Mascarell deserves a second chance now the opportunity is there.

People will look at results like Leeds, Middlesbrough and Brentford away and say that there is no way back in for Mascarell but I disagree.

He's a young player with a lot to learn and much to improve. Add that to the fact he has moved to a different country where he doesn't speak the language and it's fair to say a successful transition is not going to be immediate.

It's not as though he has been given a particularly long run in the side. He started eight consecutive league games from November onwards - is that really enough to make a fair judgement of the player and consign him to the bench?

Let's not forget Mascarell has also been a part of the team when we've been at our most impressive in footballing terms too. Fulham and Watford away and Wolves and Brighton at home stand out as some of our most fluent performances of the season and in his thirteen league and cup starts, we've won eight games so I am not sure he is that detrimental to our play.

Of course, Eustace is the tried and trusted and you can't argue with the results since he has come back into the side but I definitely think there is more to come from Mascarell and I'm hopeful he will rise to the occasion next week.

EDIT: 9 wins in fourteen league and cup starts.

The home record with Mascarell in the team is fine so that's why I'd select him in Eustace's absence, the away record however is a different matter.

His main attributes, passing and movement, are always likely to be more useful in home games and his weaknesses like heading and tackling would be shown up more on the road, the thing is not sure you can necessarily turn someone into a strong tackler no matter how much coaching you have.

He is a ball player though.

Archived