Best ever loan player at Derby?

BennettDCFC

Can't believe I forgot Lupoli! Leon Osman was our best player at the time I first started coming to Derby matches, remember running round the garden pretending to be Leon Osman.

But, I'd say Martin, as we then got him for free due to that loan. And Chris Martin is the most effective player we've had at the club while I've been going to games.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always though Matthias Svensson was a cracking loan signing. Not the best, but certainly deserving a mention.

I think West or Osman have been the best/most effective (both saved us from relegation virtually singlehandedly)

Matthias Svensson and junior really clicked. I know that when he left he called Burley begging him to sign but the 3 amigos wouldn't put the money up which is no surprise.

Loan XI (Going to go old school 4-4-2)

Fielding

Wisdom - West - Tomkins - Wright

Thorne - Osman 

Bueno 

Bamford                              Stead (thought he was excellent when he joined us in our promotion campaign)

Martin

Complete oversight - he'd definitely be in the team; captain, leader, god-fearing legend.

I had never had any idea Taribo West was on loan!

This is also interesting: -

Supersport.com: What happened at Derby County. Why did you spend just one season with the club?

Taribo West: I had a problem with the assistant coach of the team at the time. Derby were at the bottom of the table but with my help we were able to claw our way back from the relegation zone.

However, I had to travel to Nigeria for the final of the 2000 Africa Cup of Nations between the Super Eagles and Cameroon

Loan XI (Going to go old school 4-4-2)

Fielding

Wisdom - West - Tomkins - Wright

Thorne - Osman 

Bueno 

Bamford                              Stead (thought he was excellent when he joined us in our promotion campaign)

Martin

You went 4-3-3

Osman surely, team was quite poor and he elevated them from nothing to produce some really excellent performances, don't think anyone has had that kind of impact, surely would have been relegated without him, great coup by Burley to get him when he could have played for a much higher placed team but never any chance we would keep him unfortunately. His movement and attacking play from midfield were a level above.

Matthias Svensson and junior really clicked. I know that when he left he called Burley begging him to sign but the 3 amigos wouldn't put the money up which is no surprise.

If I remember rightly Southampton only wanted about 50k for him. As you say, him and Junior had that connection and really worked. Same with Huddlestone, Taylor and Osman they worked really well, if only the three amigos would pay the 200/300k Everton wanted for him...

How about a best team;

Burridge, Stoor, Lillian Martin, Wisdom, Tomkins, Bamford, Thorne, Osman, Lupoli, Davison, Kuqi (That was hard! It also appears that West wasn't on loan)

A worst team;

Jones, Smith, Caldwell, Daino, Currie, Kaku, Livermore, Costa, Bradbury, John, Graham (that was hard for different reasons, the likes of Priskin and Chadwick were close)

And a team of loans before loans became every day occurrences;

Burridge, O'brein, Ablett, Burns, Mooney, Deacy, Micky Thomas, Andy Thomas, Hodge, Callaghan, Richards

I thought West was a free? Wasn't overly fussed though, he was so frustrating with more style over substance. Played about 20 games that season and only about 200 in his whole career, over 40 of which were Nigeria caps. Shows where his priorities were. His signing was papering over the cracks of the money grabbing boards downfall.

Am I the first to put Kinkladze in the mix? Or have I got it wrong that he signed on loan in January then signed in the summer?

Archived