Best ever loan player at Derby?

BennettDCFC

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reopen thread.

Agreed, if you mean the player who was the most talented and would go on to achieve the most (so far, I hasten to add), it's Osman.

However, I genuinely believe that our boy George Thorne is up there as a result of the impact he had on the team as a whole.

Osman, hands down.

Thorne was the finishing touch to an already strong team. Osman took us by the scruff of the neck and dragged us away from the relegation zone..

You're answering a different question (best loan)

The thread title is 'best loan player'

For those who reckon George Thorne was a better loan than Leon Osman because of his impact when he got into the team, you have to remember Osman won our POTY that season. That's arguably a bigger impact over the full season than Thorne's (awesome, and I do love him) cameo.

That's fine, your opinion. Care to add your reasoning as to why you think Osman is a better player?

It's very difficult to judge accurately. They play different positions, Thorne is just starting out in his career, and recalling an individual's performances from 10 years ago to measure against a player today is tough, especially if you're not going to allow me to consider the context of the situation each player was dropped into.

Osman is more versatile, more of a goal threat (don't whinge about the stats here, 8 games is not a reasonable sample size), a better leader, and better at running with the ball.

Thorne is a better passer, tackler and more physically imposing.

Archived