Hoof-ball

AmericanRam

Interesting article about the most direct teams in the Championship. Surprisingly Notts Notts Forest are not higher on the list...

Long-ball football is often derided, with lumping down field considered to be a direct consequence of a lack of ideas.

Is that always the case?

Can going from back to front quickly actually be a sensible approach?

After all, why play 20 neat one-touch passes through midfield if you can get to where you want to be significantly quicker?

Any side boasting an old fashioned target man within their ranks will want to make the most of his attributes, feeding off knock downs and pegging opponents back.

There is, of course, a counter argument which says football should be played on the deck

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's much better to watch, for sure.

We played some good stuff under Cloughie too to be fair.

I wouldnt even mind if we stayed in this league for abit, won more than we lost and played the stuff we do now. It's enjoyable and that's what it's all about for me.

Direct football has worked for us in the past but certainly wouldn't suit our players now!

That is what happened with Boothroyd - worked in the promotion season because we had skilful players like Marlon King and Ashley Young who could feed off a big lump like Darius Henderson but when they went we replaced them poorly..and it looked awful!

Wasn't born in Graham Taylor's 1st spell at the club but know we got a lot of stick from the general public and media - maybe due to the fact we were upsetting the big boys?

The football now good to watch and exciting when we attack albeit a bit worrying when we nearly get caught at the back.

Direct football has worked for us in the past but certainly wouldn't suit our players now!

That is what happened with Boothroyd - worked in the promotion season because we had skilful players like Marlon King and Ashley Young who could feed off a big lump like Darius Henderson but when they went we replaced them poorly..and it looked awful!

Wasn't born in Graham Taylor's 1st spell at the club but know we got a lot of stick from the general public and media - maybe due to the fact we were upsetting the big boys?

The football now good to watch and exciting when we attack albeit a bit worrying when we nearly get caught at the back.

I made the audacious claim that Watford play better football than Derby after our draw the other week. To say it didn't go down well would be an understatement but these stats definitely lean towards that view.

I made the audacious claim that Watford play better football than Derby after our draw the other week. To say it didn't go down well would be an understatement but these stats definitely lean towards that view.

Blackpool play better stuff than Forest

One picked stat really doens't tell a thing. If you have lots of possession, you're bound to knock long ball every once in a while etc.

Give me possession stats and amount of short passes too, then we can start to analyze it.

And of course, there's a difference between long pass and hoofball..

How long ball is long ball? if you pass 30-40 yards in the deck (like Whitbread occasionally does), is that long ball?

So on that reckoning, Blackpool are the best.

It doesn't, actually. 

We make a lot more passes per game than Watford. Therefore, their long ball - direct pass - percentage is higher than ours. 

:)

Percentage of long balls played by teams, with regards to total passes.

Derby - 14.28
Bournemouth - 15.06
Brighton - 15.64
Wolves - 15.67
Fulham - 16.41
Leeds - 16.77
Norwich - 16.82
Watford - 16.91
Wigan - 17.36
Brentford - 18.14
Middlesbrough - 18.82
Blackburn - 19.09
Charlton - 19.15
Blackpool - 20.21
Cardiff - 20.24
Sheff Wed - 20.42
Huddersfield - 20.72
Bolton - 20.89
Forest - 21.60
Reading - 21.65
Millwall - 22.77
Rotherham - 23.71
Ipswich - 24.52
Birmingham - 24.72 

Anything else you need disproving, I'm always here. 

Derby - 14.28

Bournemouth - 15.06

Brighton - 15.64

Wolves - 15.67

Fulham - 16.41

Leeds - 16.77

Norwich - 16.82

Watford - 16.91

Wigan - 17.36

Brentford - 18.14

Middlesbrough - 18.82

Blackburn - 19.09

Charlton - 19.15

Blackpool - 20.21

Cardiff - 20.24

Sheff Wed - 20.42

Huddersfield - 20.72

Bolton - 20.89

Forest - 21.60

Reading - 21.65

Millwall - 22.77

Rotherham - 23.71

Ipswich - 24.52

Birmingham - 24.72

We'll have to do the "Derby are always scoring free kicks and penalties" one again in a couple of months. Betya

Derby - 14.28
Bournemouth - 15.06
Brighton - 15.64
Wolves - 15.67
Fulham - 16.41
Leeds - 16.77
Norwich - 16.82
Watford - 16.91
Wigan - 17.36
Brentford - 18.14
Middlesbrough - 18.82
Blackburn - 19.09
Charlton - 19.15
Blackpool - 20.21
Cardiff - 20.24
Sheff Wed - 20.42
Huddersfield - 20.72
Bolton - 20.89
Forest - 21.60
Reading - 21.65
Millwall - 22.77
Rotherham - 23.71
Ipswich - 24.52
Birmingham - 24.72 

Great work Ambitious!

Brighton, Leeds and Wigan are higher than I thought. Maybe Blackpool too.

Archived