Mart Poom

AmericanRam

Great article about fan favorite Mart Poom:

Former Arsenal and Sunderland goalkeeper Mart Poom confessed his best years in England was at Derby County

Mart Poom confessed, while he was talking to the Daily Mail regarding the England and Estonia game, that he played his best years at Derby County.

The iconic Estonian is now a coach with the national team and will be urging his players to take their chance in the spotlight on Sunday, similarly to what he did against Scotland 17 years prior.

"It was all very bizarre. That

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although the actual contact for Poom's goal against us was captured on TV, you had to be at the ground to appreciate it properly. Their player was by the corner about to take the kick when Poom made the last-second decision to go for it. So he sprinted from halfway inside his own half all the way into the box, not pausing or hesitating once, and the corner was taken while he was still running in and without breaking stride he met it and arrowed a bullet header into the goal. Unstoppable - the best goal by a keeper ever. Anyone else you'd have been sick, but because of all those years of brilliant service it was kind of fitting.

Should have sold him to Everton when they offered a small fortune though...

Absolutely immense in every way. Commanded the whole area and back four, dominated in the air and an excellent shot stopper. Better than Shilts ( but he was still quality) in every aspect. I'd like to know what happened at Sunderland because he should have kicked on in his GK prime years. Many around me at the time thought he was in the top 10 in the world and I doubt anyone watching him in a derby Jersey could disagree.

Although the actual contact for Poom's goal against us was captured on TV, you had to be at the ground to appreciate it properly. Their player was by the corner about to take the kick when Poom made the last-second decision to go for it. So he sprinted from halfway inside his own half all the way into the box, not pausing or hesitating once, and the corner was taken while he was still running in and without breaking stride he met it and arrowed a bullet header into the goal. Unstoppable - the best goal by a keeper ever. Anyone else you'd have been sick, but because of all those years of brilliant service it was kind of fitting.

I clapped

Funny thing is my mate put a joke bet on him and won a couple of hundred, off a quid, due to a discussion we had about all the ex players scoring against us around that time.

The glory days of watching Derby for me with those players. I met Mart Poom coming out of the ground once, as he was driving of me and a few mates bowed at him, he then repeated it back to us out of his window. Great player!

Mart Poom was in the away end at Anfield with us. It was the game where Eranio was accused of feigning injury right by the dug outs until it became obvious he was seriously injured. Hyppia, i think had gone straight through Eranio and broke his leg.

Poom was great, chatty with the fans, signing autopgraphs and even had a beer at half time.

Oh, top keeper as well, just behind Colin Boulton as our best ever.

Mart Poom was in the away end at Anfield with us. It was the game where Eranio was accused of feigning injury right by the dug outs until it became obvious he was seriously injured. Hyppia, i think had gone straight through Eranio and broke his leg.

Poom was great, chatty with the fans, signing autopgraphs and even had a beer at half time.

Oh, top keeper as well, just behind Colin Boulton as our best ever.

I still wince when I recall that challenge. Didn't even bloody book him.

A couple of the saves he made at Old Trafford when Choppy made his debut were also world class. He was the (equal) second-best keeper I have ever seen in a Derby shirt, just behind Boulton and level with Shilton IMO.

Archived