Moving to Derby...?

aussieowl87

Hi all,

As my username suggests, yes I'm currently living in Australia - and yes I'm a Sheffield Wednesday fan. However - wife, bub and I are planning on moving to the UK in early July next year and Derby is somewhere we're considering moving to...

I'm a regular poster over on a Wednesday forum as well, so yes I'm fully prepared for any sarcastic responses that come my way, but any real advice would be greatly appreciated.

Happy to be as far as 5 or so miles out of town so long as there's a manageable transport link into town...wondering how the city centre goes in terms of restaurants etc...

Obviously the primary concern is finding a "nice" place to live. Looking at a rental budget for a 2 bed place initially of around 600pcm, then a buying budget of between 140-180k for 3 [poss. 4 but I'm trying to tell the wife she's dreaming] bed place.

As an aside, I'm almost as blond as Will Hughes, so the lad's endeared himself to me from the second I saw him. Albinos have to stick together...

Cheers in advance,

Aussie.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's wrong with Sheffield? Only joking Derby is a nice city imo and I don't actually live there. Its been done up sympathetically compared with Nottingham or Leicester .Shopping is better in Notts according to my missus ,but going out at night Derby has a better feel about it than other Cities .

What's wrong with Sheffield? Only joking Derby is a nice city imo and I don't actually live there. Its been done up sympathetically compared with Nottingham or Leicester .Shopping is better in Notts according to my missus ,but going out at night Derby has a better feel about it than other Cities .

600pcm will get you a decent 3 bed house, Littleover would be ideal....

140-180k would get you a decent house too, plenty of house for your money in these parts

Honestly, I can't "sell" Derby to anyone who isn't from here. It's just a great place to be and nowhere else feels the same. You'll either love it here or you'll hate it.

Personally one of my favourite things about Derby is that it is not a huge metropolis type city like a London or a Manchester or Birmingham- we're nowhere near as big as those soulless concrete jungles. But then we're not exactly in the middle of nowhere and there is so much going on here. And Derby folk are lovely people and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

I think it still has a local town feel, just stretched and developed into the size of a city. And we seem to still be a growing city so new developments and new things come here all the time.

But mainly, I can't put my finger on what makes it great here. You'll just have to see it for yourself.

And I hope you do come and see it for yourself because it's the best city in the world  :)

Where else are you considering moving to?

One of the best things about derby is you're never far from anywhere else, good train connections, much friendlier than other local cities (I should know, living in Nottingham), good social scene, highest wages outside of London, affordable house prices, and beautiful countryside within a 10 min drive.

Still wouldn't leave aus for it though, even if every single bit of nature there can kill you!

Must have got a pardon if he's coming back?

Haha I'm from Sheffield originally. Noone would be a Wednesdayite by choice...

We've considered Sheffield, Bristol, Manchester. Bristol too far south. Manchester too big. Sheffield...well...might as well make it a fresh start altogether. That and as mentioned, even relative to Derby's house prices it's expensive in parts.

Don't need to be on the M1 side of Derby. Will only be making that trip once a fortnight ;)

From what little I've looked into it - Mickleover, Littleover, Allestree seem OK. And to add to comments from a few of you, the "sympathetic" redevelopment of the City Centre is what's giving it the edge over Sheffield too. Restaurants and shopping are high on wife's list. I'm good so long as there's countryside within reach. Primary schools I can research as we go...

Why swap Sydney for Derby? Or anywhere in the UK for that matter? Because I'm an hour from what you all consider "Sydney" - between here and there is an hour's worth of suburbia. 45 minutes the other way and you're still in suburbia. Think London, but with heat and deadly animals.

Sounds like Nottingham to be fair, just swap deadly animals for guns and drug runners.

Get your ass over here quick!

Sounds like a fair swap...

Nottingham can send all the guns and drug runners to Australia, Australia can send all their deadly animals to Nottingham, then I'll move to Derby!

Archived