Languages

AmericanRam

I am beginning to learn Russian as my girlfriend is fluent in it being from Russia herself.  I also am beginning to take Spanish classes as well as tbh their are a lot of Mexicans where I live and it would be helpful when I talk with them, I know what the heck they are saying.

Any here can speak, write, or read another language besides English?  Do not have to be fluent in it.  I know in the States, Spanish is the main language you have to learn when you begin school and practically throughout until you graduate from college.  Is that the case in the UK?  Or is another language taught that kids need to learn besides English?

P.S. I assume Cisse is fluent in Finnish or Swedish?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm fluent in Spanish as I live in Baja. It's a fairly easy language to learn. I can also read in French, Portuguese and Italian due to my Spanish and understand large parts.

Russian will be tough due to their alphabet. 

Big respect if you can crack that language buddy, and anyone else who is fluent in such a language as Hebrew, Chinese, Japanese etc.

In the UK it's either French or German but not enough is done to force kids to learn other languages. 

I'm fluent in Spanish as I live in Baja. It's a fairly easy language to learn. I can also read in French, Portuguese and Italian due to my Spanish and understand large parts.

Big respect if you can crack that language buddy, and anyone else who is fluent in such a language as Hebrew, Chinese, Japanese etc.

In the UK it's either French or German but not enough is done to force kids to learn other languages.

Thanks mate.Russian is very hard but my girlfriend is helping me.I agree kids need to learn other languages to broaden their horizons and in terms of their future careers,it would open up more opportunities for them.

Most kids in the UK who have studied French or Spanish at school up until they are 18 would struggle to hold even the most basic conversation in those languages. The British are just not good at languages.

What fascinates me is that there are so many claims that this way or that way is the best way to learn a language and yet whichever way you go it will take many years and it will be a lot of hard work.

I am interested in language learning but I am not fluent in any other language. I like to learn foreign vocabulary as a memory exercise.

Most kids in the UK who have studied French or Spanish at school up until they are 18 would struggle to hold even the most basic conversation in those languages. The British are just not good at languages.

What fascinates me is that there are so many claims that this way or that way is the best way to learn a language and yet whichever way you go it will take many years and it will be a lot of hard work.

I am interested in language learning but I am not fluent in any other language. I like to learn foreign vocabulary as a memory exercise.

Obviously the best way to learn any language is to live in that country. The second best is through reading, television and radio. Given that most movies/songs/famous books are English written it's easy to see why it's difficult for the British to learn new languages.

Practive practice practice. But if you have no need for such language, then it's obviously going to be tough.

In my case, absolutely nobody in the Baja speaks Russian or Korean for instance so learning this language would be pointless for me. Not only would it take time to crack it, but I'd instantly lose it as a lack of practice.

I used to be very good in German, took it at A levels but I've forgotten it as I haven't spoken it at all over the past seven years

I am beginning to learn Russian as my girlfriend is fluent in it being from Russia herself. I also am beginning to take Spanish classes as well as tbh their are a lot of Mexicans where I live and it would be helpful when I talk with them, I know what the heck they are saying.

Any here can speak, write, or read another language besides English? Do not have to be fluent in it. I know in the States, Spanish is the main language you have to learn when you begin school and practically throughout until you graduate from college. Is that the case in the UK? Or is another language taught that kids need to learn besides English?

your girlfriend isn't the same russian bird that sent me an e-mail telling me she was visiting my country and wanted to meet me. If she is tell her to pay me back the money i sent her to come over. The stupid bint never turned up.

I'm learning Polish. I read one guy who has a theory that for every language, there's easy bits that balance out the difficult bits. Polish, and I guess Russian, has no articles at all - so no a or the. The grammar is hard though, with 7 cases to learn and understand. Of course it's easier to be understood than to be grammatically correct, so it depends what your aim is. Whatever your aim is, good luck :)

Que bueno saber que sabes tantos idiomas ...   Que onda  !!  Como andas  ?  no hemos hablado por un tiempo..

No need to learn a foreign language.

English people just shout slowly as if all foreigners are deaf with the occasional foreign word thrown in.....

"where issss thee beeeaaacch monsieur? La plage.....ou est la plage you cuunt"

" i waaannnt to hiiiire a voiture"

"At quelle heure do you ouvrez?"

Etc

Seems to work.

Speak English, Turkish, intermediate level Japanese and elementary Thai.

Surprisingly the Turkish grammatical structure is very similar to Japanese (originate from same language family)which made it easier to pick up - sentence ends with the final verb which agglutinates according to the subject. I use Turkish every day in life and business but never really 'studied' - as Bris says best way to learn is through immersion by living there.

Russian has the widest vocabulary of all languages so can be extremely difficult to pick up. Chinese similarly as its a tonal heavy language - more so than Thai. Japanese comparatively is quite flat.

There are so many benefits to learning a language - two no longer seen as enough nowadays.

I am beginning to learn Russian as my girlfriend is fluent in it being from Russia herself.  I also am beginning to take Spanish classes as well as tbh their are a lot of Mexicans where I live and it would be helpful when I talk with them, I know what the heck they are saying.

Any here can speak, write, or read another language besides English?  Do not have to be fluent in it.  I know in the States, Spanish is the main language you have to learn when you begin school and practically throughout until you graduate from college.  Is that the case in the UK?  Or is another language taught that kids need to learn besides English?

Good luck with the Cyrillic script, gives me a headache just looking at it. 

Speak English, Turkish, intermediate level Japanese and elementary Thai.

Surprisingly the Turkish grammatical structure is very similar to Japanese (originate from same language family)which made it easier to pick up - sentence ends with the final verb which agglutinates according to the subject. I use Turkish every day in life and business but never really 'studied' - as Bris says best way to learn is through immersion by living there.

Russian has the widest vocabulary of all languages so can be extremely difficult to pick up. Chinese similarly as its a tonal heavy language - more so than Thai. Japanese comparatively is quite flat.

There are so many benefits to learning a language - two no longer seen as enough nowadays.

Kanpai ;)

Archived